Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcasas9536
Paper Tape
Views: 713
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 710, Win 10 Pro, shuts down instead of going to sleep

Just got a brand new Yoga 710 w/ Win 10 Pro and the system just shuts down when put to sleep.
Happens when:
- I close the lid (even if "close lid" power option is set to sleep), or
- I select the "Sleep" option from the Start [equivalent] menu, the system immediately shuts down (within seconds),
- Leave the system idle for 5 min (what sleep timeout is set)

And since it shuts down:
- I lose any open document, applications running, etc. Also, on restart, Windows occasionally will also complain that it wasn't shutdown properly, starts to scan disk, etc. This is really BAD!
- Pressing the mouse or keyboard doesn't do anything and only pressing the power button will get it working again (and I see the Lenovo BIOS logo, etc.).

It feels like the OS is trying to go to sleep, but the laptop is shutting down instead.

I tried calling Lenovo customer service but the response was really really unacceptable:
- First tried to disable sleep completely and saying that that since this is a new machine so that should be okay.
- I asked what about battery life if I don't use the laptop (say overnight) for a while -- response was I should shutdown the laptop.

I checked the power option, tried disabling hibernate, disable fast boot, etc. and other suggestions from searching the forum but nothing worked.   Also checked BIOS settings but there's not much that can be changed (which is rather surprising).

Drivers are BIOS are up-to-date.

Any other ideas?  Any one else seeing this issue on a Yoga 710?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 669
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 710, Win 10 Pro, shuts down instead of going to sleep

It would be interesting to see what the current available Sleep States are per Windows by using the powercfg.exe

command.

How to list current Sleep States

• Right-Click on Start and select Command Prompt  (or Windows Powershell if on Windows 10 Creators Edition)
  • Type Powercfg -a and press Enter

The commands below will send the output to a .txt file that you can paste into a reply, which might be useful if you can post them into a reply.

If under a Command Prompt, type the following:

• powercfg -a > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\powercfg.txt

If using Powershell, type the following:

• cmd /c 'powercfg -a > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\powercfg.txt'

The above commands will create a powercfg.txt file on your desktop that will if opened show the available power states on your system, and those that are not not available.  

It should looks something similar to the one below (taken from my desktop)    
Standby S0-S2 being disabled is normal, but standby (S3) needs to be available for the system to sleep.

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

If you can, please copy and past the contents of the resulting powercfg.text file in a reply.

Cheers,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 651
Message 3 of 5

First look in the event log.  Probably a device is having problems when receiving the sleep command.  Hopefully, it is throwing a message.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jcasas9536
Paper Tape
Views: 629
Message 4 of 5

@JDGillis.

> powercfg -a 

returns exactly what you had listed as well.

powercfg.PNG

@richk

I looked at the event viewer but nothing worth noting as the system was put to sleep.   On resume (really a cold boot since it shutdown), it shows the following critical event:

critical_shutdown.PNG

From here, it seems the OS did not initiate any shutdown previously (otherwise would not see this error).  Even if an app/driver was the cause of the shutdown, it would still have to inform the OS and the OS would initiate the shutdown.  Doesn't seem to be happening in this case.

jcasas9536
Paper Tape
Views: 582
Message 5 of 5

After additional rounds with tech support, doing a system reset/restore, etc.  the system was still not sleeping as expected.

Tech support agreed that it may be a HW issue at this point and I just returned the unit (was still within the 30 day warranty).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors