Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

11-20-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 1 of 6

Yoga 710 Wireless Issues

2016-11-20, 17:03 PM

Hello everyone. Hoping I can get some help from the board. I recently bought a Lenovo Yoga 710 from Best Buy (the 4/128GB model with the Penitum chip) and upon bringing it home noticed some pretty awful WiFi performance. There were periods where everything looked smooth, and then ping response times against my default gateway would suddenly drop to 300+ ms. And eventually, the NIC would just stop talking to the router altogether for an extended period (1 or two full minutes). 

Upon researching the issue online, it seems that the Atheros Qualcomm QCA9377 chip in these machines has big problems with Verizon Fios wireless routers when the WMM QoS setting is enabled. I tried turning this setting off on the router and lo and behold! The WiFi connect is a whole lot more stable now. Has anyone else noticed the same?

My concerns are that, from what I can gather, WMM is a setting that prioritizes certain types of traffic to provide a better user experience (thus it's lumped under the QoS settings). I'd hate to think that I'm going to have to sacrifice my Netflix experience just so this machine can talk over wirless properly. It's especially annoying because I've got all sorts of other wireless devices on my network, including a few laptops and have never seen this issue crop up before. It seems specific to FIOS routers and this Qualcomm Wiless NIC.

Let me just add: I'm within my free return period on this laptop and that's why I'm asking. I already returned one for the same reason, before I discovered the WMM solution online. But honestly, I'm not convinced that this is a soltuion I can necessarily live with. After all, even though I can disable WMM on my own router, I have no control over the routers at places like Panera, Starbucks etc. And while I doubt those guys are setting their routers to prioritize high-bandwidth services such as video, you just never know.

Options

1 Posts

09-11-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 710 Wireless Issues

2017-09-11, 22:21 PM

Same here. My home is also using version FiOS. It is so annoying. But when I go somewhere else, it works pretty well. It seems lenovo can't fix this issue..

Options

6 Posts

11-20-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2017-09-12, 2:12 AM

FWIW, I've been perfectly happy with my Yoga since turning off QOS on my Verizon FIOS router and I haven't really run into the wilress issue anywhere else (possibly a specific Panera). For the price this is one of the best laptops I've owned. 

Options

1 Posts

05-05-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 4 of 6

2018-05-05, 14:47 PM

Worst computer I have ever bought. I have constant issues with my brand new Yoga 710. Wifi disconnects, pages flicker back and forth, mouse doesn't function. Computer is junk. Shamefull this thing is lemon and should be recalled. Why should I have to spend days updateing and reinstalling on a brand new computer I paid good money for? 

Options

142 Posts

12-11-2010

United States of America

191 Signins

2040 Page Views

• Views: 2040
  • Message 5 of 6

2018-05-06, 13:52 PM

I have the i7, 8GB, 256GB version. It used to sound like an airplane taking off but after several BIOS updates it has become much quieter. Overall, I'm very happy with the laptop and the deal I got a year ago.
This may not specifically be a Yoga laptop issue. It could be that the Fios WMM/QoS setting is doing something weird.
Also, enabling QoS on some cheap routers puts enough computational overhead on the throughput so as to completely negate any supposed benefits from prioritizing traffic. I don't know if this is the case with your Fios router but most of them are entry-level devices.

IOW, you may be better off just keeping QoS/WMM disabled, regardless of whether you keep the Yoga or not. :)

Options

6 Posts

11-20-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2018-05-07, 1:56 AM

wrote:

IOW, you may be better off just keeping QoS/WMM disabled, regardless of whether you keep the Yoga or not. :)

I've had the Yoga almost two years now. Its' a nice machine. There's almost nothing out there this small and light anymore. Unfortunately the issues with the wirelss chipset were never fully resolved. The good news is that turning off QOS fixed the wirelss issues at home. The bad news is that I still have the issue at a handful of public WiFi spots. Mostly the problem arises at Panera restaurants. When I want to use the machine at Panera is just connect to my phone's wireless hotspot instead. I've got enough mobile data that it's not a really an issue for me.

This machine has definite flaws. The WiFi chip is one. The unfortunate placement of the "up" arrow is another (there's nothing like losing a complicated PowerShell query because I accidentally hit the "up" arrow when I meant to caiptalise). And finally, my 710 has an annoying quirk where it goes to sleep if I pick it up from one corner. But all in all. I've found that the pluses outeigh the flaws. There's nothing like this machine currently avilable for the price I paid.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms