Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brwolt
Paper Tape
Views: 3,619
Message 1 of 12

Yoga 710 broken hinge

Hi, I have a Yoga 710 with a broken hinge.  The laptop has only be used in my house and has never been dropped. At the moment the left side hinge is stuck in "normal open mode". I can not open it further nor close the laptop. and the glass over the hinge is cracked. The laptop is still under warranty. I have contacted Lenovo service center for this an although it is clearly a production error it seems Lenovo is not honoring its warranty obligations. They claim it is accidental damage.

Does anyone have the same experience with the yoga hinges?

and

Does anyone have any advice on how to convince Lenovo to repair this under warranty?

Kind regards

Designer000
Paper Tape
Views: 3,570
Message 2 of 12

Re: Yoga 710 broken hinge

Unfortunately I had right hinge issue last month.  Yoga 15" 710 4K 16 gig. Hinge broke after 16 months. Laptop sat on desk 95% of the time. I hardly used the tablet mode or tent mode. So hinge was not damaged or abused. Machine was never dropped.  I purchased through Best Buy and they just totaled it. It was sent away by Geek Squad and after 4 weeks I was not getting answers. After pressing, they relayed info they could not get the parts to fix it. So basically I am out the laptop but get reimbursed by purchased insurance coverage through Best Buy. But this is still costing me money to buy a new laptop from a different vendor at a much higher price for a better constructed machine. I'm not happy about that! This was the first time in 20 years that I didn't buy a Dell. I had loved my Yoga 710 except the fan noise. I bought for the screen and features/specs at the time.  The only screen last year that was visually sharper was the Surface. I had no other issues on daily use as mentioned on this forum. My screen was great. OS was stable and never crashed or blue screened and I am a heavy user (designer, not gamer thought).  Only issue was the awful fan noise.  well, the webcam was flaky, sometimes worked but that could be a software issue. The hingle gave no warning of breaking.  The right hingle became non-aligned and I could not close. Then the screen on lower right started to separate but screen still worked. I took for repair opened so not to worsen issue. But I'm sure when tech closed lid to ship that may have cause more damage. I feel it does not make sense to reinvest in another Yoga if there is this known hinge issue and parts are not available or 3rd party service center can't fix.  Lack of machine is costing me time and money. Good luck to you.

brwolt
Paper Tape
Views: 3,558
Message 3 of 12

Really don't understand why Lenovo is not taking responsibility for their faulty products. what kind of company is this?

Jopotuinen
Paper Tape
Views: 3,015
Message 4 of 12

Yesterday my Yoga right hinge started stuck.

Also used as desk top and purchased about some 16 moth ago. May be this issue is programmed into Yoga to brake after warranty…

Google is full of Yoga hinge issues.  

Tarathomas
What's DOS?
Views: 2,859
Message 5 of 12

My Yoga laptop's right hinge broke just like that. I have never dropped it and not used it much as a tablet too. There was a slight colour change in the right most corner.And I bought it in February 2017.So it's not covered in warranty anymore. I am disappointed by Lenovo's quality.Otherwise I liked the laptop a lot.The screen was good.There were no lagging issues.Never buying Lenovo again. 

kikistew92
What's DOS?
Views: 2,292
Message 6 of 12

My mom bought her Yoga Jan 2017. She neverf used it and when i told her i needed a new computer to start doing photoshop she kindly gave it to me. I got it thanksgiving and used it since to check work stuff and learn photoshop. I noticed a slight discoloration in left corner of the screen a few days ago and after finishing something I closed it and the hinge pop off the right corner making the screen jar out. I literally said outloud "what just happened?" i didnt drop it and the computer was hardly used since I was purchasesd. I'm sick to my stomach about it. The cost to repair is more than half of what it costs! Thanksfully my mohter isnt upset with me but I have no idea how a perfectly good computer hardly used just breaks like that. Of course, best buy warrenty is not valid and it would take forever to send out and cost a fortune. I just called Lenovo and left a message but after reading the comments i'm not hopeful they will take accoutability. It seems to me its product defect if other people are haivng the same issue.  What a disappointment. Hopingn Lenovo steps up here!

Valveda
What's DOS?
Views: 1,820
Message 7 of 12

I bought my Yoga 710-15 in November 2017. Have been mostly happy with it. But here it is, a few months out of warranty, and the right hinge has come loose and the screen is splitting away from the outer case. I, as others, have never dropped my laptop. I do not use the tent or tablet mode. I don'ttake  the laptop out of my house. I called Lenovo and was told that I can take it to Best Buy who will send it to Lenovo. Given other comments, it doesn't sound worth it. Duct tape to keep it from splitting further and I won't buy Lenovo again. 

Jopotuinen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,308
Message 8 of 12

Mlanzrod
What's DOS?
Views: 1,175
Message 9 of 12

The link send me to Ebay screen cover replacement part page but I see that hinges are not part of the cover. Changing the cover is the broken hinge solution? Thanks for the answer.
Jopotuinen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,149
Message 10 of 12

Yes, changing the cover is the broken hinge solution. On the cover there is a glued bracket for hinge.

Of course, you can fix the old bracket with hot melt or epoxy glue or something else adhesive.

I had a post of the whole replace procedure, but it seems to vanish.

The most important thing is to pull all the black very stretching adhesive stripes all way out left and right. The heads of stripes are found close the hinges. Without this operation the screen and the cover won’t separate, but after that operation almost by itself.

The black adhesive stripes are not included the replacement cover and I did mine without and it doesn’t seem to need them, the other fasteners do good enough work.

Don’t forget the two magnets on the old cover top corners!

The replacement took me some 3/4 hours with all wonderings. On next time it will be some 1/4 hours.

The picture: Part 1. Loosen bracket and hinge together, part 2. Loosen bracket

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/161866i021E423FC46F013C

Good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors