Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattds
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,475
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 710 freezes with Chrome

Hello All,

I have a Yoga 710 (i5 7200u, 8g ram, 256 ssd) and it often freezes while I am using chrome, even with just a few tabs open: it randomly stop working, becomes very slow o totally unresponsive to the point that I am forced to reboot. After the freeze happens, even if I close Chrome the system still stay totally unusable until I reboot. This happens more times a day.

Does anybody knows a solution to fix this issue?

thanks in advance for your help.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,466
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 710 freezes with Chrome

@mattds wrote:

Hello All,

I have a Yoga 710 (i5 7200u, 8g ram, 256 ssd) and it often freezes while I am using chrome, even with just a few tabs open: it randomly stop working, becomes very slow o totally unresponsive to the point that I am forced to reboot. After the freeze happens, even if I close Chrome the system still stay totally unusable until I reboot. This happens more times a day.

Does anybody knows a solution to fix this issue?

thanks in advance for your help.

I'd probably blame that on the site you're viewing rather than Chrome, itself. Make a note of the tabs you have going when the freeze happens. Also note any extensions you have running or installed. Especially if you don't recall installing them.

To test, only open two tabs.. one for Gmail and one for a normal Google Search. Don't go anywhere else. You can type stuff in the search box, just don't click on the results. Don't read any mail, either. See if it freezes. I picked those as they're Google's own sites and shouldn't cause any issues. If you get freezes with just those open, remove and reinstall Chrome.

A lot of times, content in various websites can cause Chrome to crash.. especially Flash content as Chrome uses its own Flash extension and not the plugin other browsers have. 

Speaking of plugins, disable any you've added to Chrome. Ad blockers can freeze Chrome. Sometimes, software you install places toolbars in Chrome that can cause it to crash. Sometimes tough to remove, but it can be done.  Though better to just remove and reinstall Chrome. 

Try Edge or Firefox just to see if they crash. MS has done a pretty good job with Edge, though I only use it when Chrome isn't happy with some website or another. I also use Edge when I get the "turn off your ad blocker" on some sites. I won't turn it off. Instead, I launch Edge to view that site, then go back when I'm done. 

EDIT: As always, make sure all of your drivers are up to date, latest BIOS and so forth. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
mattds
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,409
Message 3 of 9

It actually seems to freeze mostly under heavy web traffic, i.e. watching hi-def videos or trying to access very pic packed clouds folders; I removed as much Chrome extension as I could, I will see how it goes now and will keep you posted.

mattds
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,382
Message 4 of 9

It still freezes randomly, at this point it must be an HW issue. 

I also ran the Lenovo Dyagnostic test and no issue were found. But the laptop still freezes at least one time a day.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,376
Message 5 of 9

Did you uninstall/reinstall Chrome?

Did you try running for a day with Edge or Firefox? 

If they also hang, then, yeah it could be hardware. But if Edge doesn't hang, it's not the machine. It's something on a site you visit.. probably a Flash video since Chrome handles those differently than other browsers.

mattds
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,339
Message 6 of 9

I was able to fix the issue: the problem was chrome using hardware accelation - I disabled that option and solved the problem

Michigan-Forged
What's DOS?
Views: 1,390
Message 7 of 9

I have similarly been having issues with the exact same computer.  I checked the task manager and chrome is using a TON of memory, specifically my g-mail.  How did you disable the hardware acclerator?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,374
Message 8 of 9

Here's a tutorial on disabling HW acceleration in Chrome. Some settings may have changed places with the new build, though: https://www.technize.net/google-chrome-disable-hardware-acceleration/

BigSean1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 597
Message 9 of 9

Thanks. This helped me too. Open Chrome. Go into settings, advanced, system (at the bottom of the page), turn off hardware acceleration.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors