Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kchudoba23
Paper Tape
Views: 6,602
Message 1 of 22

Yoga 710 screen cracked from opening it

I was using my laptop this morning like usual, closed it, then went to open it a minute later and the screen started to separate at the bottom left, cracking as I went to open it. I contacted support and they're sending me a box this week. Has anyone ever experienced this before and what was the remedy? I haven't dropped it at all and have no idea why it separated. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,518
Message 2 of 22

Re: Yoga 710 screen cracked from opening it

The hinge broke away from its mounting on the lid.  You are always better opening it with 2 hands.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Kchudoba23
Paper Tape
Views: 6,505
Message 3 of 22

That makes perfect sense as to how that happened. Although it's pretty hard opening it with two hands because it's so thin. I use one hand to hold the bottom and the other to open the top. Do you think this is covered under warranty from Lenovos side and they'll just replace it for me? Its only a few months old.

lenovotoday
Punch Card
Views: 6,503
Message 4 of 22

I was going to say the same thing.  I have a yoga 710 and I need one hand on the bottom and the other hand on the screen to open it.  I purchased my 710 as I knew HP Spectre had a serious problem with their screens cracking so this is quite a disappointment. 

Declark32
What's DOS?
Views: 6,399
Message 5 of 22

Hi, did you ever find anything out? My 710 isn't even 4 months old and nobody would help or talk to me about this. They sent me an email and a box, but i dont want to pay for a new screen if its going to cost as much as the laptop. This is my 2nd yoga that has cracked in the same area, this is a flaw in the model for sure, and we shouldn't have to pay for a repair that is Lenovo's fault. Please let me know what happened because i need a laptop for school.

Kchudoba23
Paper Tape
Views: 6,386
Message 6 of 22

They received my laptop a few days ago. The customer service representative I spoke to seemed to understand exactly what happened and that he will make notes to ensure I don't get charged since this is no fault of my own. I will update once I find out the decision. I will definitely be buying the additional insurance from Best Buy from now on because of this bad experience. 

lenovotoday
Punch Card
Views: 6,381
Message 7 of 22

I was reading the cracked screens are also happening on the 910's and also read that disabling the touch screen in windows helps to avoid this. 

MyVeeTwin
Paper Tape
Views: 5,992
Message 8 of 22

Hi - my daughter has just had this issue with the screen on her Yoga 710, cracking diagonally from the top left hand to bottom right hand corner, adjacent to the hinge.  I've booked it in for warranty repair but they've warned that if they examine it and assess it as "physical damage," the repair will be chargeable.  I'm concerned as the agent I spoke to seemed to suggest that if (as I suspect) the crack has been caused by lifting the screen from the corner, putting some twist into it (as it's quite thin and flexible) then it will be considered physical damage!  Has anyone had experience of this and been faced with a huge bill to have their laptop repaired (they wouldn't quote me a figure).  

From this thread it seems like the fault is fairly common which suggests a design flaw.  The agent talked about us causing damage by "constant opening and closing" - on a laptop that's a few months old!

This is my first post here, hope that someone has some advice - thanks.

Kchudoba23
Paper Tape
Views: 5,988
Message 9 of 22

I think the agent may have misheard you. As long as there is no damage on the sides of the laptop then they will understand that. In my situation, they took FOREVER to fix the laptop. After 6 weeks of no changes, I demanded an answer and was able to have them send me a new laptop, but it took some a lot of effort on my part to get them that far. I hope they've learned from that and your issue gets fixed soon! Definitely a design flaw..

MBHE
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,832
Message 10 of 22

I have read several posts and we all seem to be having similar problems.  My screen has cracked from the hinge and it has spread across the screen.  You can no longer use the screen as a touchpad.  I know that I did not drop it and am 100% clear in my own mind that this is a design fault.  However, the tehnical support team say that a damaged screen is physical damage and therefore NOT covered under warranty - even tho the photos make it absolutely clear that the crack starts directly at the hinge.  I therefore have to send the computer overseas and wait for them to tell me that the problem has been caused by me and that I have to pay.  Its like talking to a brick wall but has anyone had any success in getting Lenovo to achnowledge their liability.  There is not much point in losing my computer for a long time simply to find another brick wall in another country.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors