Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-30-2021

Ireland

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 9

Yoga 710 trying to solve hardware issue

2021-03-30, 16:32 PM

Hello, has anybody had the following and been able to resolve it? It occurs without warning ~ several times a week:

Screen flickers, then fades, then white horizontal line that spools slowly down, then goes black. Sometimes repeats before finally staying black.

Both power lights stay on but can only resuscitate machine with a hard reboot / power drain. It is then fine until fails again.

It seems to happen when the fan is on but that may be coincidence.

All Lenovo diagnostic tests = pass.

Windows memory test = pass.

All Windows and Lenovo updates are current and the correct Intel HD graphics card driver is installed.

However, Windows reliability report each time it fails gives Hardware Error, problem type LiveKernelEvent, code 141

Advice received to date has been to do a factory reset, though if it is genuinely a hardware error I'm not sure that would solve it.

I am wondering if it could be a battery issue - battery (and machine) are six years old.

Any suggestions welcome! Thank you.

Options

1989 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

240 Signins

21027 Page Views

• Views: 21027
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:Yoga 710 trying to solve hardware issue

2021-03-30, 16:38 PM

Hello and welcome @ JimH1964!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

Just to ask, does the screen also flickers when the display lid/panel is slightly moved or even when booting up?

Try to place the Yoga 710 laptop into Safe Mode and check if the screen will also flicker.

Also, you may connect it to an external monitor/display as well to test.

Update us how it goes.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

03-30-2021

Ireland

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-03-30, 16:50 PM

Hi Adriel,

Thank you for a quick reply. No, I haven't noticed any problems on boot-up or when moving the screen. The issue occurs without warning and the flicker quickly degrades to the strobe effect - fade - white line spool - black screen (to be honest if it was just a flicker I could live with it!). Good call to try with an external monitor, I will need to get one set up. As noted diagnostics on the screen passed.

The fact that it only reboots successfully after black screen by doing a power drain is what got me thinking about a possible battery issue?

Jim

Options

1989 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

240 Signins

21027 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-03-30, 17:02 PM

@ JimH1964 wrote:

Hi Adriel,

Thank you for a quick reply. No, I haven' noticed any problems on boot-up or when moving the screen. The issue occurs without warning and the flicker quickly degrades to the strobe effect - fade - white line spool - black screen (to be honest if it was just a flicker I could live with it!). Good call to try with an external monitor, I will need to get one set up. As noted diagnostics on the screen passed.

The fact that it only reboots successfully after black screen by doing a power drain is what got me thinking about a possible battery issue?

Jim

Thanks for responding @ JimH1964!

For now, we just need to see first if connecting the Yoga 710 laptop to an external monitor will get rid of the flickering that you're getting.

If it does, it could be that there might be a concern with either the LCD/Display, LCD cable or ports.

Update us here at the Community Forums once you're able to test it out to an external display.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

03-30-2021

Ireland

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-04-05, 18:16 PM

Update on problem:

As suggested I connected the Yoga 710 to an external monitor via the micro-HDMI port and replicated the display.

When the screen flicker / white lines / blackout occurred this time it was only on the laptop's integral screen, everything remained clear and visible on the external monitor.

Note the problem with the laptop's display was in normal mouse and keyboard use, not on boot-up and not when physically moving the screen in any way. Last time it occurred when I opened Windows settings control panel.

Many thanks for any additional troubleshooting advice.

Options

5 Posts

03-30-2021

Ireland

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-04-07, 14:54 PM

I have also now found out that although the problem isn't caused by moving the laptop screen, it can sometimes be (temporarily) resolved by moving the screen. Note I very rarely move the screen as I usually use it in laptop rather than tablet mode and put it to sleep rather than closing the lid when clocking off. I'm guessing it is an internal connector problem - any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Options

1989 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

240 Signins

21027 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-04-07, 17:31 PM

@ JimH1964 wrote:

I have also now found out that although the problem isn' caused by moving the laptop screen, it can sometimes be (temporarily) resolved by moving the screen. Note I very rarely move the screen as I usually use it in laptop rather than tablet mode and put it to sleep rather than closing the lid when clocking off. I' guessing it is an internal connector problem - any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Thanks for providing an update @ JimH1964!

Since the issue didn't occur when the Yoga 710 laptop is plugged to an external display/monitor, this confirms or isolates the issue within the device itself.

It could be that the issue is likely within either the LCD (screen), cable or port but not with the GPU chip that's onboard with the device.

It would be advisable to have it be brought to any local service providers near your area for further assessment and recommendations especially if it's a possible hardware concern that may require repairs for it to work/function properly again.

Please click this link and fill out the necessary details to see the list local service providers in your area.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Options

5 Posts

03-30-2021

Ireland

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-04-07, 18:06 PM

Thank you Adriel - much appreciated.

Options

1989 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

240 Signins

21027 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2021-04-08, 15:36 PM

@ JimH1964 wrote:

Thank you Adriel - much appreciated.

Thanks for responding @ JimH1964!

No worries, feel free to post here again at the Community Forums!

Hope this helps you out and answered your concerns as well.

Regards,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms