Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrick2012
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,669
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 710 vs 910 Kaby Lake Battery life

Hi all,

so I am finally about to replace my Yoga 2 Pro. One of my main requirements is battery life for trans atlantic flights. I was initially looking at the 710 15 inch which seems to be getting good battery life, although reviews of the revised Kaby Lake are hard to find. Now with the 910 released, I am also looking at that model.

Concerns with both models, the Best Buy versions that have 16gb of the 710 15 inch and 910 both have QHD screens which I am assuming hit the battery for around an hour of battery life vs. the FHD versions. Also the 710 FHD model in Best Buy is the i5 version (I am thinking I could drop an extra 8gb of memory into that revision as I believe there is a free memory slot available?) and so I am wondering would I really see much of a difference in the i5 vs i7, I do not do any HD encoding etc, the most taxing activity would be World of Warcarft which I think should run fine on either at reduced resolution.

Last question, on the 710, is the SSD sata or PCIe?

Again battery life is a concern, main usage for flights will be watching local video content, both 1080p and 720p.

Thoughts?

Patrick

Ben-S
What's DOS?
Views: 7,589
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 710 vs 910 Kaby Lake Battery life

I have just ordered a 910 with 16GB RAM. Hopefully the shipping date won't be extended too long.  I wanted to purchase a high-end unit because it should continue to provide good functionality longer that if I purchased a unit with somwhat limited capabilities. I am replacing a laptop I have had for 4 years that is still functional, but technology has improved and I am ready to purchase something that should last me another 4 years. 

I am looking forward to the 9 hours of battery life advertised.  That will be the biggest improvement over my older unit, but I imagine that will only be possible with low brightness on the display, etc. 

Patrick2012
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,585
Message 3 of 8

Well I actually went ahead and purchased the 910 at Best Buy today, I also got the 16gb and 512ssd with QHD screen. It feels REALLY nice, I have a Yoga 2 Pro from when it was released and the 910 feels a whole lot more premium.

As soon as I got it home I charged it to 100% and I am now running it down playing a 1080p video loop. I started it at 4pm PST and it is not 8:15pm and it is showing 60% battery left (showing an estimate of another 8 hours) , the screen is set to 50% brightness which is actually still pretty good for viewing video in a low lite room.

So if the battery lasts as long as it is currently showing then I will be more than happy with the battery life, my old Yoga 2 Pro had to run at 75% brightness to view the same video comfortably and it only lasted 6 hours in the same test.

I will probably leave it running overnight, do a full charge and then run the test again to get a more reliable test and report back.

Otherwise, as I said already it feels really nice, fingerprint scanner is very cool. I think the only negative so far would be the lack of thunderbolt 3 port which the newly released HP Spectre 360 2016 model has BUT it has the smaller 13.3 screen vs the 910 13.9 screen.

Patrick

melchorbcn
Punch Card
Views: 7,551
Message 4 of 8

Patrick one question

i sell the 900 becouse the bad contrast , the blacks were gray.

Could you confirm how are the blacks.

Could you post a picture with the screen black and the bright at max.

and the bright its good, coild you read the screen in daylight with out problem.

Thanks in advance

Patrick2012
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,544
Message 5 of 8

So straight out the gate, the screen is IPS, backlit, so at full brightness the blacks are not going to be completely black, only panels that would achieve that is OLED. Having said that, the screen is plenty bright for outside usage, although it is a glossy panel (as all touch screens are) and so in daylight there is some reflections.

I have the older Yoga 2 Pro and I have compared that screen to the 910 and the 910 has much better contrast and the blacks are definitely better.

Patrick

melchorbcn
Punch Card
Views: 7,537
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the quick reply

And the colors punch, are you happy with it, i like more crispy colors than naturals.

The aspect ratio its 16/9 like the 900 or its more like the surface? In the 900 when i use in tablet mode,in portrait mode the screen was narrow an very large, not a big problem but in this aspect the 16/9 aspect ratio its worse.

Another think, the fan, its noticiable, quicks very often?

And throttling its heavy, if you play a game, or encoding a video?

I live in spain, the first day i can buy i go ahead, i like very much the yoga concept.

Thanks for your time

Patrick2012
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,522
Message 7 of 8

Colors are very nice, very vivid, I too am not into the natural color which can seem dull. The screen is still a 16:9 and I agree in tablet mode it is not great using in portrait mode.
I am currently playing World of warcraft on the 910, it runs around 35fps on lower settings but with such a small screen it still looks pretty good, a little laggy here and there but fine for doing dailies etc, probably not great for PvP lol.
So far I am pretty happy with the 910, remember the screen is slightly larger on the 910 than the average ultrabook.
For me the only other choice would be the HP Spectre x360 2016 edition which is around $300 less than the 910 and it also has thunderbolt which the 910 does not have.
Pealik
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,049
Message 8 of 8

I am looking forward to buy yoga 910 with FHD and 16 GB of RAM (European nordic version 80VF006VMX). The only down side is as you mention thunderbolt 3 with that it would be perfect. OK maybe SD card reader also.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors