Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrmutley
Fanfold Paper
Views: 270
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 720 12IKB SSD Upgrade

I purchased a Yoga 720-12IKB late last summer. This model came with a 128GB SSD that I would like to upgrade. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could confirm the following:

1) I've found online documentation that this model takes M.2 SATA 6GB/sec SSDs. I am assuming that this means it can't take a M.2 NVMe drive? (Before looking into this upgrade, I didn't know the difference.)

2) Will this model take a 1TB drive? The sizes listed on the hardware manual go up to 512GB. But, that just could just be because that was the max offerred by Lenovo on this model. My question is can it be upgraded with a drive larger than that?

3) Assuming that this model only takes M.2 SATA drives and I can go to 1TB, this drive on Amazon seems like an excellent deal. Can anyone confirm if it will work or offer any downsides to it?  https://tinyurl.com/y4gy9zwp

Thanks!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 247
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 720 12IKB SSD Upgrade

Welcome to the Community.

To make sure, I'd need your model number (NOT serial number) or you can look it up yourself, here.

I say that because this thread indicates that some (if not all) shipped with NVMe drives. As you've discovered, there are different flavors of drives and they're not backwards compatible. 

Note that, since that thread was solved, external NVMe enclosures have started to appear, making the cloning process a little easier. 

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
jrmutley
Fanfold Paper
Views: 240
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like this model # is 81B5000KUS. I went to the lookup page that you linked. But, I'm not sure what there indicates if it is SATA or NVMe.

Edit: On that page that you linked, I found the SSD in the listed parts. The one that it lists is M.2 SATA. So, I'm guessing that is my answer and that is the type of drive that I need? That said, do you think a 1TB version will work?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 213
Message 4 of 4

Yep, SATA is what you have. 1 TB should work fine. But, as always, choose a store with a good return policy and run full backups and system images before starting. #Murphy'sLaw

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors