cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GreenScrew
What's DOS?
Views: 902
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 720-12IKB constant wifi disconnect/reconnect (on battery power only)

I have a new since Christmas Yoga 720-12IKB and find that the wifi is disconnecting/reconnecting numerous times per minute. It causes significant distruption trying to use the computer, with frequent errors about not being connected to the internet. Generally causes the device to operate very slow, nearly unusable. I'm not having disruption on any other computers/tablets/phones connected. I've tried a fair amount of troubleshooting but have yet to find a solution. The one workaround that I've found is that when I connect to power, the problem goes away. Remove power, issue returns. Suggests a problem with the power management (or possibly network adapter driver) but I can't figure it out. The network adapter is Qualcomm QCA61x4a. Here's what I've attempted:

1) Disable the power management feature of the adapter (uncheck allow computer to turn off)

2) Run Lenovo System Update to make sure all drivers are up-to-date

3) Manually updated the driver via device manager (went from .312 to .438)

4) Switch roaming agressiveness to low

Other than making it a desktop (needing to leave it plugged in to avoid the issue) any suggestions/resolution to this problem? Anyone else seeing the same behavior?

Frustrating problem to an otherwise fantastic, fun, and fast Yoga!!! Looking for a light at the end of the tunnel....

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 882
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 720-12IKB constant wifi disconnect/reconnect (on battery power only)

Change the power management settings for the WiFi card (from Intel's instructions)

1. Tap the Windows Key and click on settings (the gear icon). Select Power and Sleep.
    2. Select Additonal Power Settings
    3. Select Change plan settings for the power plan you would like to change.
    4. Select Change advanced power settings.
    5. Select Wireless Adapter Settings then Power Saving Mode to expand the section.
    6. Select the desired power option. Depending on your system type, you may see Setting for desktop system or On battery and Plugged in for mobile and laptop systems.

Power options:

• Maximum Performance: Sets the adapter to the maximum transmit power level.
  • Low-Power Saving: Slightly lower transmit power than maximum performance.
  • Medium Power Saving: Slightly less power saving than maximum power saving.
  • Maximum Power Saving: Sets the adapter to the lowest transmit power level.

You'll want either Medium Power Saving or Maximum Performance. Something other than what it's set on now.

If you find those settings aren't available to you, you may need to do a registry edit to restore them. Seems one of the Windows Updates took the setting away.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
GreenScrew
What's DOS?
Views: 877
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 720-12IKB constant wifi disconnect/reconnect (on battery power only)

Thanks for the suggestion. The setting was set at "medium power savings". There appeared to be 2 less aggressive settings to set it at; "low power savings" and "maximum performance". I set it to low power savings, and it didn't help. I changed to maximum performance and so far it has resolved the issue. I'm going to keep it set as such for several days, and then set it back to "low power savings" to validate the issue does return. <fingers crossed> I'll post back findings.

While I'll be happy to have a "fix" in place as the problem was driving me nuts, and making the assumption that this will be an effective workaround for the problem, I will make the argument there there is a driver problem that should be properly fixed. This workaround is simply a bandaid; and does come with what I assume is at least a modest impact to battery life that shoulnd't need to be compromised with a proper driver to allow the network adapter to operate in a lower power mode.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors