cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaurav981
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,023
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 720, 13.3 Inch- Fan Noise & Yellowish Tint Coloration Issue, screen display issue ( Solved)

I just bought a Yoga 720, 13.3 inch from Amazon (USA) - i5, 256 gb SSD, 8 gb RAM. 

Its a nice laptop but upon turning it on, the fan noise scared me completely. To add more to the woes, screen couldnt display white color properly. It would show an off white color/yellowish tint - I thought this is a defective one until i read it online that many are facing this issue. I diligently worked with Lenovo Customer Care ( slow and awful) and solved both of these issues in one click ! 

High Fan Noise:

This problem is due to a default BIOS setting that Lenovo ships you with originally when you purchased the product ( go figure why !)

• Turn Laptop off
  • Left to the headphone jack is a small pin hole.
  • Press the pin hole and it will show you 4 options. Click BIOS
  • Under the BIOS - select BIOS thermal temperature mode to " Quiet" 
  • Press F10 (save and exit)
This will keep fan quiet and smooth ! It worked right away. You dont need to install TP Fan Control at all !

Coloration Issue:

White color on screen display was looking off white/yellowish 

• Turn Laptop off
  • Left to the headphone jack is a small pin hole.
  • Press the pin hole and it will show you 4 options. Click BIOS
  • Press Fn key first and then F9 ( dont press both together)
  • It will ask for optimal load defaults - select yes and press enter
  • Press F10 (save and exit) 

You can perfom both the settings in one go while accessing the BIOS set up and not have to do it one by one.

Restart the laptop and it will return to the normal coloration. No more need to tinker around with color calibration and other complexities at all ! 

After fixing both of these, laptop is working really good ! Its hard to get answers from Lenovo Customer Care but eventually this support came from them. I am sharing it with you all so that you dont have to spend hours playing with laptop in trying to find a fix or call customer care !

I also updated the BIOS to latest 2.0.3 from 1.0 version - not that it matters in fixing the above two issues but its good to stay updated !

Hope this helps ! 

Cheers

Gaurav

nicole42
Paper Tape
Views: 2,983
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 720, 13.3 Inch- Fan Noise & Yellowish Tint Coloration Issue, screen display issue ( Sol

Hello,

Thank you very much for your information. I bought it today and figured out the same problem you stated and I just followed your instruction. It seemed ok now, Still, I am quite bothering with the battery and heat. I felt the battery is really short (around 4-5 hours) which is far less than what they told me. Heating problem is another issue, especial on the keyboard and the back. Did you experience this as well ? How is your battery ?

I am very appreciated if you can give some ideas.

gaurav981
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,980
Message 3 of 5

Re: Yoga 720, 13.3 Inch- Fan Noise & Yellowish Tint Coloration Issue, screen display issue ( Sol

Hello Nicole:

Glad that my tips were of help. It was bit daunty for me to figure a way out when it was just purchased and problems wouldnt go away by simple fix. 

Battery life: I do experience about 6- 6.5 hours and if I use it in "Battery Saver" mode, it stretches for another hour - usually web surfing, mails, presentations, spreadsheet, word doc etc ( not much of videos/youtube, very little). If this 5 hours is from initial charge from purchasing of laptop, i suggest you give it 2-3 charges more before you see its performance. My initial battery life was around 5 hours too and its now around 6-7 hours. Also adjusting brightness can help stretch the battery life and putting computer in "balanced mode" can help you can change this setting by right clicking on battery icon and then clicking " windows mobility center" it shows 3 options- consider picking balanced mode or perhaps power saver (best option) and see if it stretches the life. Actual battery life is most likely going to be less than their claims due to our usage patterns.

Heat Issue: Since changing the BIOS settings, I havent had heating issue. I do feel its a little warm underneath the keyboard or back side of it. But its marginal - nothing that i would worry about. 

Hope this helps !

Cheers! 

nicole42
Paper Tape
Views: 2,937
Message 4 of 5

Hello, 

Thanks a lot!

After updating BIOS and changing the set, the fan noise went down to a bearable level. But still, quite annoying. 

Also, I felt the front area of the keyboard and the bottom of the screen area got quick warm to hot even I was just browsing 1-2 websites on chrome and working on the Word. Today, I even found that AC adapter is super hot when it is charging the laptop.

TBH, very frustrating.  Apart from the heating and fan noise problem, I like this laptop in this price range. But, you know, I had two dell before, these two problems only appeared when I was playing games on steam and adapter would never go heating....

You said you don't have the heating issues. Now I am wondering if I would have to talk to the technical support or just live with them. I don't really like to send it back coz I prefer to receive in-store service....

gaurav981
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,930
Message 5 of 5

Hi Nicole:

Sorry to hear that. It does sound like a technical issue and perhaps need their support to resolve this. You can also upgrade for an onsite repair service at an additional cost.

I use my laptop for work which is mostly emails, cloud, documents etc but all day use hasn't caused it to heat since I changed my BIOS settings.

Hope it works out well for you !

Gaurav

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors