Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RENODAN
What's DOS?
Views: 611
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 720 13.3 OS Question

Will this model laptop run Windows 10 32 bit OS? I have some very old software with 16bit installation. Since the model I am looking at only has 4 gig of RAM I hopefully would not be losing too much performance. This laptop would mostly be used for work anyway and I do not need high performance. Really just want to know if I can fresh install from a usb image the 32 bit version of  Microsoft Windows 10 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 571
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 720 13.3 OS Question

The drivers on Lenovo's website are all listed as being supported only for Windows 10 64-bit OS, so the drivers may be problematic, but it could be just that Lenovo only lists Windows 10 64-bit compatability because that is what they shipped with the system, but I cannot say for sure..

One option I use to run 16-bit applications on my Windows 10-64-bit OS, is to run them in a Virtual Machine such as Oracle's Virtual Box (free).

Once you install the Virtual Machine software, when launched it opens in a window on the host computer, in which it emulates a computer, with its own virtual hardware (soundcard, video card and hard drive etc), but will still allow access to your physical system's hardware CD/DVD and USB drives etc. to run the OS installer.    Once the OS is up and running on the virtual machinee, you can even drag and drop between the host and virtual system, and access the Internet using the host's network connection.

During the initial setup of the VM, you set the amount  of memory that will be allocated/reserved from host to be used for the VM, the size of the virtual disk (file on host HD.

In the virtual machine, you can install Windows 3.11, Windows 95/98  and even Windows 10 just as you would if you were installing to a physical computer.   You can also create the virtual machines on one system, and then copy the folder that is created to store it over to another system and run them there as well.

Pretty cool really,

RENODAN
What's DOS?
Views: 479
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 720 13.3 OS Question

JD. I wanted to update this and let you know that I did follow your suggestion and install the virtual machine. Thanks for the info and taking the time to share.

Dan

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors