Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

03-16-2019

Denmark

24 Signins

154 Page Views

• Views: 154
  • Message 1 of 13

Yoga 720-13 USB-C to HDMI: Picture, but no sound

2019-05-09, 20:46 PM

I have a Lenovo Yoga 720-13 for which I have bought a USB-C hub with HDMI output. When i connect it to my tv i get a picture but the sound is not transmitted to my tv. When i check in my audio settings to see if the sound output is set to HDMI, I cant change it and will only let me pick the laptops speakers as audio output.

I have tested my USB-C hub on another computer (Yoga 700) which worked flawlessly. I have also tried with a diffent USB-C hub with the same result. 

I have tried it on both USB-C ports.

Do any of you have a sugestion to what I can do to fix it?

I have even had it shipped to lenovo to fix it, but when I got it back it still did not work.

MOD: added model to title  

Options

3413 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5474 Signins

61166 Page Views

• Views: 61166
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: USB-C to HDMI: Picture, but no sound

2019-05-09, 22:16 PM

It might help to know the make and model of the adapter in question.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

7 Posts

03-16-2019

Denmark

24 Signins

154 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2019-05-10, 7:08 AM

Sure: The first one is a Ugreen USB-C hub, the other one is a Sandberg USB-C hub.

EDIT: Both hace been tested on other laptops and found to work as promised, but will not work properly on my computer (YOGA 720)

Options

3413 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5474 Signins

61166 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2019-05-10, 13:56 PM

There are different models available from each manufacturer. As you provided make but not model, I'll leave it up to you to research any compatibility issues. The one UGreen I looked into only stated compatibility with Macbook and Dell computers. The Sandberg showed Lenovo issues in its FAQ section. They quite often don't test these USB-C things with every make and model of computer. If it works with a Mac, out the door it goes. 

That said, let's try a few easy fixes.  First and foremost, make sure you have all the latest driver updates AND the latest BIOS for your computer. Sometimes, that's all it takes. 

Once you've done that, uninstall and reinstall the hub(s) through device manager. Check with the manufacturer to make sure you have the latest drivers for the hubs. 

If you get through that and it still fails, then let's look at some settings. Connect the hub to the computer and TV. Power up the computer, then the TV. Make sure the TV isn't muted (sounds silly, but HDMI handshaking is a finicky thing)

AIUI, you see HDMI in the Windows Playback Devices dialog, but cannot select it, correct?  Right click on it and make sure it's enabled. Or navigate to Windows Key > Settings > System > Sound >  Choose the HDMI device, click "Device Settings" and make sure "Jack Information" shows "HDMI Digital Jack."  Below that, make sure the HDMI device is enabled. Click Apply and OK.  Make sure the volume slider is to the right and the speaker icon isn't muted.  Click on Sound Control Panel and see if you can set the HDMI to "default device" now.

Options

7 Posts

03-16-2019

Denmark

24 Signins

154 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2019-05-12, 10:26 AM
I have tried all the above mentioned solutions, but non of them hav worked so far.

The Ugreen model I have is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Aluminum-Multi-port-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Space-Grey/dp/B077FZQS95/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8, which clearly states it works with the lenovo yoga 720 laptop.

I can see that the Yoga 920 had some bios issues that were fixed in an update. I have no idea if this might also be the case here.

I can also see that the video driver for this laptop is quite old (2017) when the latest driver released from intel is from 2019.

Do you or anyone else have a solution I might try, because i'm getting a bit frustrated by now.
Options

3413 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5474 Signins

61166 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2019-05-12, 13:47 PM

If you're sure you're on the latest BIOS and have all of the latest drivers installed (audio, chipset, etc), then the only other options I can think of are 1) Try a Lenovo-branded hub and 2) reset the computer to its original condition. 

Hopefully someone else has other ideas.

Options

7 Posts

03-16-2019

Denmark

24 Signins

154 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2019-05-13, 7:13 AM

I have tried solution 1 and 2 and, unfortunately, none of them work. 

I may simple have to buy the lenovo branded adapter and see if that will do the trick.

Options

2019-05-13, 19:22 PM

I have a  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-type-c-to-hdmi-multiport-adapter-with-power-delivery-white/5577934.p?skuId=5577934 left over from a device I used to have that only had a type-c port for video out. Plugged it into my Yoga 730 13.3" and it worked right out of the box with both sound and display.

Options

7 Posts

03-16-2019

Denmark

24 Signins

154 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2019-05-14, 7:08 AM
The problem is occurring on a 720-13 not a 730-13. Sorry...
Options

7 Posts

03-16-2019

Denmark

24 Signins

154 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2019-06-03, 18:24 PM

I send it in for repair and have just gotten it back with a working usb-c port! They worked some driver magic and got it up and running :D 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms