Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StuTO
Paper Tape
Views: 531
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 720-13 fingerprint scanner

Yoga 720-13IKB (Type 80X6) has been running perfectly for most of the last year.  However, a recent Windows update (I think) has caused the fingerprint scanner to not work.  I get the message "This device cannot start (Code 10)" against the Synaptics WBDI driver in Device Manager.

I've tried

• uninstalling and reinstalling the driver
  • updating the driver using "search automatically..."
  • updating the driver by downloading the driver from the Lenovo site

I currently have driver 5.5.2603.1050 dated 1/12/2017 installed.  Windows reports that there is no better driver available for this.

There are situations where the fingerprint scanner will work initially when I delete and reinstall it, so I know this is not a hardware issue.  However, the error comes back after I put the laptop to sleep.

I've seen other postings that relate to the fingerprint scanner not working after a Windows update, but not one for the Yoga 720.

Is there a real solution to this problem?

Guru
Views: 494
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 720-13 fingerprint scanner

I'm sure you've already been through this thread and this one, correct?

Have you tried uninstalling the Windows Update?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
StuTO
Paper Tape
Views: 488
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your response,

Yep, I've seen those, but those folks are reporting a different error message:  Code 31.  Mine is Code 10 Device cannot start.  And my current driver seems to be distinctly different (5.5...) than theirs (5.2...).

All of the threads I've seen have a similar approach... just try a bunch of different versions of drivers, whether they are indicated as being supported on your system, or try making some changes in the BIOS.  And all of them report varying degrees of success.  I've got to imagine that there would be a more disciplined approach to this, and I've got to imagine that Lenovo, Synaptics and Microsoft are huddling back stage working on a solution to this.  I would call on these companies to put out a statement regarding the problem, what's being done to work out a long term solution, and what customers can do  in the short term, if anything, to work around the problem. 

Meanwhile, if you or others know of any work around that is known to work for this specific make/model I would appreciate hearing what it is. 

Guru
Views: 483
Message 4 of 9

You didn't address my other question. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
StuTO
Paper Tape
Views: 481
Message 5 of 9

I have not tried uninstalling the various windows updates.
Big_Ed_400
Fanfold Paper
Views: 221
Message 6 of 9

this problem just started with last update,  lenovo quality continues to dissapoint 

average life of lenovo yoga machines (this is my 3rd replacement) is 8 months

no more

StuTO
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 7 of 9

I'm still using my original YOGA 720-13 purchased a year ago, but the fingerprint problem is simply not being addressed by Lenovo.  Overall I like their laptops and have, in fact, purchased another YOGA - this time a 730-13.  The 730's fingerprint scanner works fine, but the 720-13's fingerprint scanner does not, due to driver load issues.  I habitually keep both machines Windows OS and drivers up-to-date.  

It's really a shame the Lenovo refuses to acknowledge and address the problem with the biometrics on the 720s we have.  Clearly they have the knowledge and expertiese, but they apparently (based on their responses on various community boards) don't have the desire or organizational logistics to do so.

Highlighted
thunnarstromm
Paper Tape
Views: 62
Message 8 of 9

I have the same problem with the YOGA 720-13 fingerprint scanner. It was a recurring problem for me while it was under warranty.

If your PC is still under warranty, have it checked as soon as possible by hardware support. Tell them its not working for you.

As in my case, Lenovo support said it was a SOFTWARE PROBLEM, so they would go and try and fix it.  And I would patiently wait on the phone for HOURS  so that they can figure out the problem. They were able to fix it on both occasions that I had the patience to stay on the line with them. Cause mind you its really LONG. On the last one, I told them that I want to send the PC to hardware support as my warranty would be expiring  worrying that the fingerprint issue will come up after the warranty expires. They said Oh just call back in and we'll help you no problem. NOT gonna happen!  Yeah, make that warranty work for you. Mine expired and they had me buy premium support. Which is also a different matter of Frustration on top of another. So they checked again, went thru a whole rigmarole of trying to fix the fingerprint issue. The VERDICT? it's a hardware problem!  Effin A's. Lenovo better own up on this one. They have a FINGERPRINT READER HARDWARE PROBLEM a nd they should pull those fingerprint readers off the shelves and start fulfilling those warranties instead of just dilly dallying on their customers. Lenovo users unite

Big_Ed_400
Fanfold Paper
Views: 45
Message 9 of 9

It is a software driver issue not hardware ,  i updated my drivers based on a recommendation thru lenovo support. 

i restored computer to a pount in time before i ran the driver update fingerprint scanner works fine now.

its not the scanner.... its the driver update and its was not windows update that caused it. these happen automatically  

until lenovo provides a  true driver fix be careful running driver updates.

try restoring computer to a date pre driver update.  to be safe back up important files although i lost none

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors