Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulus2
Paper Tape
Views: 647
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 720-13IKB blinking screen

I'm experiencing a very annoying blinking/flickering of the built-in 4K display.

Have a look at this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdd4UICu_T4

On the movie it isn't nearly as bad as in reality. The flickering is only visible with a blue, dark gray or purple color background. White, red or black is fine.

The issue appears to be independent of the OS - the same can be observed in Linux or even in the BIOS.

It all started after I attached a second screen (FullHD 24 inch using Thunderbold->HDMI adapter) in Windows 10 (latest Intel display drivers as of January 26, 2018).

Just after connecting the external display the laptop screen went gibberish but the external display worked fine. After disconnecting the screen and restarting the computer the blinking started.

It looks like a problem with the refresh rate. The laptop display behaves like an old CRT display with a low refresh rate

I found this procedure https://support.lenovo.com/pl/en/solutions/ht500364 in another thread and followed it but unfortunately it didn't help. 

The computer is almost brand new (bought in December, top version i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe, 4K UHD display).

Any help appreciated.

lxchin
Paper Tape
Views: 598
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 720-13IKB blinking screen

I had the same problem, and i think in this forum or another forum they suggested to turn of the abient sense lighting. ie the auto adjust light setting. That stopped the annoying blinking... I now however need to turn the lighting levels up anddown depending upon the room lighting conditions...

Paulus2
Paper Tape
Views: 588
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 720-13IKB blinking screen

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I've done that but that by itself didn't help. I reverted the drivers under Windows to the last version from Lenovo site (older than the one that Windows updates from Intel) and rebooted the computer several times connecting it to external screens and the blinking miraculously stopped...

I think the best solution is to keep with Ubuntu at least as long as I use a second screen. I haven't had that problem under Linux and anyway another screen of lower resolution (Full HD) works better under Linux.

Top Kudoed Authors