Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheosEk
What's DOS?
Views: 166
Message 1 of 2

Yoga 720 15" Thunderbolt Storage Disables Touchscreen and Fingerprint Reader

I have a Lenovo Yoga 720 15" and I'm having issues when connecting my Akitio Thunder3 Quad Thunderbolt 3 4-Bay HDD storage enclosure. I have updated all the drivers for my laptop, Windows 10, and the enclosure, but I'm still having issues.

Whenever I connect the Thunder3 all four drives in the enclosure register fine, but then my laptop's touchscreen and fingerprint reader stop working. Restarting while the enclosure is plugged in does not solve the situation.

I can get the touchscreen and fingerprint reader to start working again if I power down the computer with the enclosure plugged in, then unplug it, turn on the computer, and then restart the computer again. The minute I plug the enclosure back in, the touchscreen and fingerprint reader stop working.

I also cannot plug and unplug the enclosure without restarting Windows. Basically, if I have the enclosure connected (registered properly), then safetly eject it, I cannot get the drives to register if I reconnect the enclosure. The thunderbolt interface registers the enclosure itself, just not the drives. If I restart Windows, then I can reconnec the enclosure and get the drives working properly.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm guessing it's a driver issue, but doesn't seem to be any other threads out there about the same issue. I've spoken with Akitio but they said it must be my laptop drivers.

TheosEk
What's DOS?
Views: 100
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 720 15" Thunderbolt Storage Disables Touchscreen and Fingerprint Reader

I thought I would post an update to my situation, just in case anyone else if having the same or similar issue.

I spoke with Lenovo technical support, and they suggested that I send my computer into service as they believed it was a faulty motherboard. I received the computer back yesterday, and after running some tests, there have been some improvements but the problem is not entirely fixed. The main issue still persists, where the touchscreen and fingerprint reader are disabled when my Thunderbolt storage device is connected. Disconnecting and then reconnecting the storage device now works properly without needing a restart, and my touchscreen and fingerprint reader start functioning again after one restart, rather than two restarts.

I've tested my AkiTio Thunder3 Quad X with two other computers: a Dell XPS 15 (9550) and a MacBook Pro 15 (2017). On both computers the storage device worked perfectly, and on the Dell the touchscreen was fully functional with it connected. Therefore, I know this is definitely an issue with my Lenovo (or perhaps, all Lenovo Yoga 720 15 models?).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors