Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blackconure
What's DOS?
Views: 807
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 720 15" with Thunderbolt 3 Dock periodically resetting

I seem to be having a problem with my Yoga 720 15" and the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock.    Every once in a while the screens blank out and then return.   Sometimes I get a Topology Has Changed message when this happens and all my windows scramble.   Sometimes they all go to the laptop and sometimes they dispurse amongst my two monitors.

Anyone else experience problems with this configuration?

All of my drivers are updated except BIOS because apparently it does not like the fact that I installed my own version of Windows 10 instead of leaving the one that came with it.....but that is another issue.

I could not find anything regarding updating the Thunderbolt 3 Dock firmware.    Here is what I have on my Thunderbolt driver:

Thunderbolt 3 Dock.png

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 786
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 720 15" with Thunderbolt 3 Dock periodically resetting

Do your other devices connected to the dock also lose connection when your screens blank out, like you could maybe see the Num-lock light go dim on your keyboard?

Are you using the 0.5m tb3 usb -c cable that came with the dock?

Guessing you have the dock powered by the 135w PSU while using a 2nd 135w PSU connected to the Yoga.

Blackconure
What's DOS?
Views: 781
Message 3 of 4

As far as checking to see if other devices are losing connection, that is a bit tricky, because the keyboard and mouse are Logitech wireless, and they have no such lights. Good idea though, perhaps I can hook something up to it to see if it powers down as well.

As for the cable, I am using the cable that came with it. I forgot to mention, but I am also having the same problem with another TB3 Dock that I have at home using a longer (yes, certified) cable. Same laptop, two different docks exhibiting the same issue. Which is why I suspect the issue is actually with the laptop.

Yes, this is a 15" so I have two separate PSUs (laptop and dock).
snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 771
Message 4 of 4

Oh wow, same problem with another dock. Hmm, I was thinking it might be power related because I had a display blanking out like that with a usb-c to hdmi/usb/Ethernet hub that wanted more power via the usb-c input. 

You using both DP ports? What resolution and refresh rate?

FWIW, I use that same Lenovo TB3 dock with dual QHD @ 60Hz Dell's connected via both DP's on the dock. I've never had a display blank out on me, and I've used it for 100+ hours.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors