Did you mean: 
Highlighted
batistamadeline
Not applicable
Views: 158
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 720 15 withdrawn

Hello!

Why is the lenovo yoga 720 15 withdrawn? Is it because of the black bar issue? Im asking because I want to buy one online (amazon or ebay, havent decide yet) and im worried it comes with a defect or something wrong.

Alchemist42
Not applicable
Views: 142
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 720 15 withdrawn

Its likely 'withdrawn' because the Yoga 720 was released in 2017, was replaced by the Yoga 730 in 2018 and a minor refresh of the Yoga 730 with new processors has recently been released.   They likely haven't made any new Yoga 720's in 6 months or more and they finally sold through enough stock to withdraw it from sale. 

That said... there is a known, widespread and unfixable problem with the Yoga 720 15" 4k model.    Its know as the 'black line'...   in a nutshell there is a plastic layer under the glass with a black border use to aid in placement during production.   This plastic 'diffusion' layer isn't glued in place... they counted on the compression of the various layers of the screen to hold it in place.  

It doesn't stay in place... it slides up or down with gravity over time...  so if for example you use the 720 as a laptop most of the time... eventually that layer will slide down and black line will come into view across the top of the screen... its often slightly diagonal and will typically appear first on one corner.   This design flaw is unique to the 4k screen, no problems have been reported with the FHD screen. 

Lenovos official 'fix' is to keep having you send it in to 'fix' the problem...   they say they replace the screen... but they may just be using one of the fixes the community has found...  then they send it back to you...  it WILL happen again as there is not a real solution...  just keep bouncing the product back to support until your warranty ends.   Additionally,  many have reported getting their units back in successively more damaged condition every time they send it in.  bent lids... scratches, etc. 

There is a temporary solution...  gravity...  gravity pulls the line down into view...  and it will pull it right back up out of view in a day or so if you leave the yoga in tent mode so the 'top' of the screen is facing down.  

Once its out of view... you could quickly sell the computer so someone else is stuck with it...    or you can 'manage' your computer condition...  examples...  

If you carry the computer often... just make sure the end that 'opens' is facing down in your bag...  so while your carrying it... gravity will be pulling that layer back toward the top of the screen.    If you carry your computer as often as you use it... more or less... you will never see the line as it never gets pulled down into view.    This is likely the case for those who have never had the problem.   Their usage just doesn't cause the conditions that make it occur. 

If you use it as a desktop replacement most of the time...  use it in tent mode with an external keyboard. 

If your determined to use it as a laptop (top of screen up) all the time and never have it the other way...  you can...  a) live with the black line...  b) adjust your screen resolution to be 10-20 pixels less in the vertical... this will create a black band at the top / bottom of your screen that will mask the black line. 

All these solutions can be a workable solution... if you dont' have other options.    The 4k screen is really clear/bright/readable so its a significant update over the FHD model.   It depends on if you can find a deal...   Lenovo was closing these out for $899 which is a lot of bang for the buck.  I wouldn't spend premium price for one though... well I did once upon a time and got screwed by lenovo for the 'priviledge'   They will get screwed in the end though...  I'm good for a machine purchase every year and Lenovo consumer products took themselves out of the running due to their handling of this issue. 

batistamadeline
Not applicable
Views: 135
Message 3 of 5

Thank you so much for your response.
batistamadeline
Not applicable
Views: 133
Message 4 of 5

I also read that they fixed that problem and that their new batches didnt have them. Could the ones that are left online (from amazon, ebay, etc) be from new batches?
Alchemist42
Not applicable
Views: 129
Message 5 of 5

I actually read that as well... and called lenovo sales support prior to my purchase and was assured they had 'fixed' the issue in production any any machines made after such and such date (date escapes me) should not have the problem. 

I bought a machine made several MONTHS after that date and it still had the problem....   others purchasing the units made nearly a year later still had the issue... if you checked at best buys near the end of their run... about 4 out of 5 display units were showing the problem in my informal check around two cities. 

I probably spend 30+ yours talking to lenovo about this...   I eventually got a tech to tell me there wasn't a definite solutioon... just warranty replacement of the screen... and since it can take months to appear chances are you will be out of warranty before it happens again.   Others in this thread have been told there is no 'fix'.    Its a design flaw. 

If I were looking at getting a 4k yoga 720 today...  I would do it assuming this problem is there... its manageable and weigh that against the cost of the model.  

If you haven't bought but like the yoga 720... you might want to look at the yoga 730.    You can get a FHD/i5-8250u/8gb/256gb/gtx1050 4gb for $799 from lenovos site right now... thats a lot of bang for the buck... or go with a 4k i7-8550u/16gb/1tb/gtx1050 4gb for $1299 on the high end. 

I have a yoga 720 4k, i7-7700hq, 16gb 512gb/gtx 1050 2gb...   and a thinkpad p52s i7-8550u/16gb/512gb/quatro p500 gpu...   and the thinkpad outperforms the yoga everywhere except GPU.   the 7700hq in the yoga is throttled to keep heat down...  the 8250u/8550u/etc chips are only 15w and pack a lot more processing per watt. 

If I could trade my 720 for a 730 I would in a heartbeat.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors