Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googlesomething
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 636
Message 1 of 19

Yoga 720-15IKB BSOD when using GTX 1050

Hi, I've been struggling to diagnose this problem for 3 weeks now. Any help would be appreciated. I have no way to play any of the new games I've bought for the holidays and I'm fiending. 

Problem: BSOD afer any attempt to use the GTX 1050. 

Error Codes:

• VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL

I've attempted the following steps:

> Disconnect from the wifi/LAN 
> Boot in safe mode
> DDU to clean Nvidia VGA Drivers
> DDU to clean Intel VGA drivers 
> Reboot to normal windows 
> Install Lenovo-supplied Intel VGA Driver version: 22.20.16.4749 
> Reboot 
> Install Lenovo-supplied Nvidia VGA Driver version: 23.21.13.9125 
> Reboot 
> Reconnect to wifi

After performing the steps above, device manager showed both the NVidia and Intel display adapters as connected and working. 

Upon opening Lenovo Diagnostic Tool, immediate BSOD with VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR and reboot to Nvidia Display adapter device status as 

> Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

Here's a published Speccy link for my system.

Guru
Views: 561
Message 2 of 19

Re: Yoga 720-15IKB BSOD when using GTX 1050

Try changing out your drivers. If that doesn't work, try a system reset to factory settings. If that doesn't work, then it's a hardware problem and will have to replace the laptop, sadly. Let me know what happens.
Googlesomething
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 551
Message 3 of 19

What preparation would I need to take before I reset? I just wanna make sure none of my personal data is lost or sometype of windows product key isn't needed

Guru
Views: 545
Message 4 of 19

Personally, I keep all the important data that I'd never be able to get back on an external drive just in case my computer fails. If you don't have something like that, there are online services which will backup your data for you on the cloud of a small fee (Like $50 a year).

You can use the option of resetting your PC while keeping personal data, but I'd recommend wiping everything. If you're using an SSD and HDD combo, only the boot drive will be fully wiped, but you will be given the option to wipe the other drive as well if you so choose.

If you reset the computer through the Lenovo software (Pressing the onekey recovery pin on the side of the computer) or through windows 10 settings directly (going to start and typing in "reset" - the options will be there), you wont need any windows product key to activate Windows.

In the end, if you don't want to lose your personal data, I recommend moving anything important that you can't simply download again to a drive outside of your computer. Otherwise, the option to reset while keeping personal data will be handy - But it still removes some stuff and it'll list those things for you.

Hope this helps, let me know what happens.
Googlesomething
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 544
Message 5 of 19

Ok so I did a factory reset through the windows options, kept my personal data but it uninstalled all the programs. I made sure to not be connected to the internet when it booted back up by forgetting all of the connections I had.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to test the Nvidia card without connecting to the internet. Gefore experience won't help and I can't open the control panel as it says I don't have a display using a Nvidia card. The device manager says the Nvidia card is connected and working properly. There is an additional device in the Other Device category that is unknown to me. 

Guru
Views: 539
Message 6 of 19

The control panel should open for the Nvidia card whether or not you have a monitor connected to it - so that's strange. To test out your GTX 1050, get a game, right click the icon for it, go to open with graphics processor, then choose the GTX 1050. Test it out as you need to in order to check if the problem is still there. If it is still there, you'll likely have to do the reset process again but without keeping your personal data - it's a more complete process.

Sometimes there are things in the device manager saying "Unknown" - usually it's no issue.

If you're worried about Windows updating something when you connect to the internet, get this: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

^ Use that to turn off Windows Updates. Or you can go to "Services" and manually turn off the Windows Update service.

If everything works fine, then you're good to go. I'd recommend switching Windows Updates back on, then simply rolling back any driver updates it may give you (Though you can through the settings of windows updates to change what it gives you).

Let me know what happens.
Googlesomething
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 528
Message 7 of 19

I decided to try and update the graphics card with the drivers in the D: drive. I got two error boxes:

Googlesomething
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 526
Message 8 of 19

Here's the second:

Guru
Views: 521
Message 9 of 19

I've gotten those errors before when trying to update Nvidia drivers, so I doubt it's a big concern. I'd leave the drivers as they are. Did you test out the graphics card?
Googlesomething
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 496
Message 10 of 19

Haven't been able to. After the update I restarted and attempted to use the card and it didn't show up in device manager. It then proceeded to blue screen on me with the dxgkrnl fatal error. I'm done messing with it for today. I'm going to open it up tomorrow and check it out in the morning to see if I'm gonna need to bake the you. 

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors