Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 167
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 720-15IKB Losing wifi when connecting Omars Hub USB C

Hello,

This is pretty strange but when I plug my Omars Hub USB C to connect my HDMI screen or some USB keys I loose my wifi connexion.

Is it because I bought a cheap Hub USB C?
This is exactly this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-C-Hub-HDMI-OMARS-4-in-1-Aluminum-HDMI-4K-Adapter-3-USB-3-0-Ports-for-...Smiley Very Happy

s-l500.jpg 

My Lenovo is: Yoga 720-15IKB Laptop (ideapad) - Type 80X7

Thank you for your help, I really need to plug my HDMI screen and have the wifi at the same time.

Vincent.

MOD: Added model to title

Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 129
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 720-15IKB Losing wifi when connecting Omars Hub USB C

I did a video of this issue :

https://streamable.com/n7v8n

Direct link to the video: https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/video/mp4/n7v8n.mp4?token=8kZHe8nSql5khQbgFITXMQ&expires=155594295...

At the beginning I ping google.com at an average of 50 ms and I download an iso of Ubuntu at an average of 500 ko/sec. Then I plug my Omars Hub USB C and the ping to google.com rises to 3000 ms and the download of ubuntu has decreased to 40 ko/sec.

At the end, I unplug my Omars Hub USB C and the ping comes back to 50 ms and the download increases to 800 ko/sec.

Does anyone have already seen such troubles with an hub USB C?

If I change my hub USB C will it work normally? Wich one do you advise me?

Thanks.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 121
Message 3 of 9

I'm not where I can view your video, at the moment, but let me ask a couple of things.

Do you still experience the WiFi issue with the dock connected but nothing plugged into it?

What happens if you relocate the dock to a different port or use a USB-C extension cable to move it away from the computer?

Are you connecting to WiFi at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? 

In my experience, USB-C is still evolving, so third-party USB-C devices often work with some computers and not others. Click the "shop" button at the top to get to Lenovo-branded accessories, which are more likely to be compatible and even list the models they work with. But with anything you buy, keep receipts and make sure the seller has a good return policy. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 116
Message 4 of 9

@Doctordon wrote:

Do you still experience the WiFi issue with the dock connected but nothing plugged into it?

Yes.

@Doctordon wrote:

What happens if you relocate the dock to a different port or use a USB-C extension cable to move it away from the computer?

I tried moving the dock but with the same issues. I don't have an extension cable to move it away from the computer.

@Doctordon wrote:

Are you connecting to WiFi at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? 

Unfortunately my card is a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter which is working only on 2.4Ghz.

@Doctordon wrote:

In my experience, USB-C is still evolving, so third-party USB-C devices often work with some computers and not others. Click the "shop" button at the top to get to Lenovo-branded accessories, which are more likely to be compatible and even list the models they work with. But with anything you buy, keep receipts and make sure the seller has a good return policy. 

Yes I think I have to change my dock, ones sold on Lenovo are expansive with ports I don't need like Ethernet or VGA:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/Legrand-Trav...

Is this one ok?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Multi-port-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Charger-Gray/dp/B077FZQS95/ref=sr_1_1...

EDIT: I have found a Lenovo Hub not too expensive, so it should work fine..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Aluminum-Ethernet-Delivery-Compatible/dp/B07919ZNB4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_...

Thank your for your help

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 108
Message 5 of 9

Before you drop the money, try connecting to your router at 5Ghz. Less interference there. 

Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 96
Message 6 of 9

@Doctordon wrote:

Before you drop the money, try connecting to your router at 5Ghz. Less interference there. 

Unfortunately, my Wifi card is a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter and does not support 5 Ghz.

Advanced properties of my wifi card:

Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A - properties.jpg

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 85
Message 7 of 9

I have the exact same model Qualcomm in two laptops operating on 5Ghz.

Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 71
Message 8 of 9

Hello Doctordon,

But I don't have the option "Preferred Band" in the Advanced tab. I have only 4 options!

https://anderson.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014906108-Change-Preferred-WiFi-Band-for-Windows-C...

mceclip7

So I concluded that it is a Wifi card only in 2Ghz...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 66
Message 9 of 9

The way to force 5Ghz is to change your router so that it has a different SSID for 2.4 and 5. Then only log into the 5Ghz radio of your router.  For example, my router has three radios. One for 2.4 and two for 5Ghz. When I'm searching for WiFi on the laptop, I see "Docnet," "Docnet5" and "Docnet5b." Only the SSIDs with a 5 in them are set to "connect automatically." This way, there's no way for the computer to fall back to 2.4Ghz without my intervention. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors