Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sturmie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,464
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 720 15IKB Not Booting

I've had my Yoga for just about a year with no issues. I recently took it on a trip and when I landed it no longer wants to power on. I let it charge all day long and it still won't power on, no lights or anything happens when I hit the power button - either tapping it or holding it down for 30+ seconds. It was connected to a USB-C dock when it was last powered down, but that shouldn't affect anything.

Please help as I need this laptop functional while I'm on this trip. 

Thanks. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,411
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 720 15IKB Not Booting

Have you attempted to boot using the Novo button? It is usually located on the right side, will be a round button with a ^ sign above it, or to the side of it.

Try using the Novo button to power up the notebook and let us know the result.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Sturmie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,404
Message 3 of 9

Yes, after chatting with support earlier today, I tried using the Novo button and nothing happened.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,393
Message 4 of 9

Can you visually inspect the USB C port to see if it was somehow compromised / damaged? This may be the last best chance to figure out what happened.

Beyond that, it may take a service center to diagnose / fix the problem for you.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,352
Message 5 of 9

One thing to try, and admittedly a long shot....

Hold down the up arrow, then press and release the power button then the up arrow.

CB

Sturmie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,343
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I was able to purchase a small toolkit locally with the right size star bit to open up the back and get at the battery.  After pulling the cable for the battery, leaving it disconnected for about 5 minutes, then plugging it back in, it powered back up!  Everything seems to be working as normal now.

Again, thanks for all of the replies/suggestions.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,322
Message 7 of 9

Good to know.... That is a "power drain" operation or as close as you can get to it anyways.

I will mark your input as a solution so others can see what worked for you.

Make sure to post back if more help is needed.

CB

Sturmie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,314
Message 8 of 9

Thanks.  Yeah, it would be nice if there was a way to drain/disconnect the battery without having to open it up.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,281
Message 9 of 9

That is one of the evils associated with "thin" notebooks now days. Essentially, the battery is expected to out live the intended use of the notebook due mostly to "Moore's Law" and never requires replacement...

The "Novo Button" was meant to be a way around the "F" key interrupt process due to the speed of the new BIOS platform to OS boot strap, not a good way to power drain.

I agree - making the battery accessible without having to remove the entire bottom shell and risk damaging it would be a nice addition.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors