cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SirBlain
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 539
Message 1 of 13

Yoga 720-15IKB WiFi takes a minute to connect on boot and when waking from sleep

Hello everybody!

As my post says my Yoga is not connecting to the internet upon startup, and after long periods of sleep. It does connect to the network immediately and will say 'No internet, secured', and will stay this way for a minute or more, or I have to manually disconnect and reconnect to the network. Troubleshooting problems from the context menu gives up before even trying. The strange thing is if I sleep my computer for around ten minutes it reconnects immediately, if it's a few hours or over night the problem occurs. I just cannot figure out what is causing this.

Everything is completely up to date including the BIOS version and Windows 10.

I've checked for the latest drivers on Lenovo's website, and I've looked for more up to date Atheros Wireless drivers. I have also tried rolling the drivers back, and at another point allowed Windows 10 to update the drivers. I have even done a complete wipe and reinstall of Windows 10, the problem has spanned over multiple major Windows updates, but I do not have this problem on any other operating systems.

I have the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Netword Adapter in the Yoga 720-15IKB, and I have made sure it is not going to sleep to save power in the power management tab of device properties. I have also tried toggling on and off all of the services and startup items pertaining to network connectivity, and have tried disabling Windows Defender. I've run SFC /scannow in the command prompt.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 486
Message 2 of 13

Re: Yoga 720-15IKB WiFi takes a minute to connect on boot and when waking from sleep

Hi SirBlain!

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Forums!

It seems that you have performed most of the troubleshooting steps, if not all, with your laptop. Have you tried checking the box "allows the computer to turn off the device to save power" under the Power Management when you access the properties of the wireless adapter in the Device Manager? If not, we can try that too. And, for the sake of further diagnostics and troubleshooting, could you please try to connect to another wireless network? Let us know what you'll find out. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

SirBlain
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 480
Message 3 of 13

Re: Yoga 720-15IKB WiFi takes a minute to connect on boot and when waking from sleep

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have unchecked the box that allows the computer to put the adapter to sleep.

And this does happen no matter the wireless network. I have two on my property that I regularly use, the problem is not from it trying to connect to the wrong access point.

This happens on every network and router, happens on 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 436
Message 4 of 13

Hey there, SirBlain! 

Another help here. Please open the Lenovo Vantage app https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505081?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 and check for system update, then install them if there is any. Also, use the Lenovo Vantage app to run a complete hardware scan, then check for the result. Hit us back with the outcome. 

Regards! 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

SirBlain
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 428
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for replying. I did check for updates in vantage and there are none available. Hardware scan passed with no errors.

Any other ideas? This has gone on far too long and is getting very frustrating. A laptop built in 2017 should not be having issues like this.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 409
Message 6 of 13

Right click on the Wi-Fi Driver in Device Manager and uninstall it. If prompted with Delete Driver Software for this Device, check the box and apply. Observe after restart.

Regards,

SirBlain
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 401
Message 7 of 13

Have done that before and gave it another try, no difference.

I even tried getting the latest driver from the website again after I did that but trying to install it does nothing since it is probably trying to install the same version that Windows is immediately installing on startup.

I feel as though this is a driver issue, but haven't found a lower version online to test.

On the driver page of the Lenovo support website I saw that an Intel adapter came as an option, maybe I should just order one of those if all else fails. Seems like a lot of people online have issues with this Qualcomm adapter, none quite like mine though.      

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 395
Message 8 of 13

Have you tried setting the power settings for the Qualcomm to "maximum performance?" 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/82794-change-power-saving-mode-wireless-adapters-windows-10-a.ht...

I have mine to "maximum performance" on both battery and plugged in. I've also set everything in my house to work on a 5Ghz channel my neighbors don't use. I was having fits when the computer would fall back to 2.4Ghz as it's a rather congested band in my neighborhood.

You might also see if there are any WLAN errors in your Event Viewer. Or, any other frequent errors.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
SirBlain
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 370
Message 9 of 13

Yes my wireless adapter is set to maximum performance under battery and plugged in within the power options of control panel.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried changing the channel your router uses to one that's less congested? Your 2.4 Ghz network won't pickup as much interference from your neighbors if you find a free channel. I like to dedicate my 5 Ghz network to stationary electronics that stay near the router personally. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 360
Message 10 of 13

There isn't a less-congested 2.4Ghz channel in my community. It's actually quite a mess and pretty useless. I picked up a router that has 1 2.4G and TWO 5Ghz radios, allowing me to put my laptops on one 5Ghz channel and phones on another. I used a WiFi scanner to help pick out two 5Ghz channels my neighbors weren't using. Between changing the settings and changing routers, I haven't had any issues with the Qualcomm radios. 

One other thing for you to do: Decrease roaming aggressiveness. And check your Event Viewer for related errors. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors