Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

40 Posts

06-20-2017

United States of America

272 Signins

645 Page Views

• Views: 645
  • Message 721 of 881

Re: Yoga 720 Display Issue

2018-01-23, 18:49 PM

@wllm

There has been no official word from Lenovo, nor has there been any clarification as to a date when this was fixed in the manufacturing process. Posts from Lenovo (moderator Andy) indicated that the replacement displays for defective units were becoming available in the late September timeframe, so I guessed that a change could have been made in manufacturing at approximately that timeframe. As to whether the factory made a change - maybe an assembly process changed, maybe a different run of display parts was used. (and honestly, maybe not)

We have heard nothing more from Lenovo for months as to what happened.

The date of manufacturing is on the bottom where you find the model and serial number (in faint microscopic text). I received a replacement unit made at the end of July which was also defective. The third unit I received was made on Oct. 5, 2017 and has been fine.

Good luck!

Options

19 Posts

12-19-2017

Israel

23 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 722 of 881

2018-01-23, 19:15 PM

@wllm

Guy's buy the FHD version of this laptop! I have it and I love it! (after bad experience with the 4K black line)
BTW you should check on youtube and so "why not to buy 4K laptop" there are more problems with it, not just the black line and not just lenovo... 

I got the YOGA 720 FHD, won't switch it with any other laptop! great laptop!

Options

11 Posts

01-13-2018

United States of America

52 Signins

430 Page Views

• Views: 430
  • Message 723 of 881

2018-01-23, 22:05 PM

^What's your dispaly panel or SSD model/brand? The left side of the mousepad is louder, a bit different (more deeper when left-click). Mine is SanDisk SSD and already updated with latest version of Windows and BIOS. Mine costed me $699.99 USD before sale tax. 

Options

3 Posts

01-23-2018

Germany

11 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 724 of 881

2018-01-24, 23:39 PM

Hey AceGregg, thanks for the info. Could you possibly tell me your unit's serial number? then I can compare it with the one I'm sending back which was made in june and has the issue. According to a lenovo employee one can tell when the device was manufactured by the serial number, although I haven't been told how exactly.

@microeye

I don't need the extra battery life and all the other qualms people are having with 4k don't apply to me as I don't intend on using it for gaming, instead Ill be using it for graphic design work and painting, for which the super hi res would be awesome, but thanks for the info!

Options

40 Posts

06-20-2017

United States of America

272 Signins

645 Page Views

• Views: 645
  • Message 725 of 881

2018-01-25, 0:10 AM

wrote:

Hey AceGregg, thanks for the info. Could you possibly tell me your unit's serial number? then I can compare it with the one I'm sending back which was made in june and has the issue. According to a lenovo employee one can tell when the device was manufactured by the serial number, although I haven't been told how exactly.

I don't need the extra battery life and all the other qualms people are having with 4k don't apply to me as I don't intend on using it for gaming, instead Ill be using it for graphic design work and painting, for which the super hi res would be awesome, but thanks for the info!

the last sentence in my earlier post says that the date of manufacture of my 720 4K unit is Oct 5, 2017. I mentioned that the date is next to the model and s/n right on the bottom of the chassis. 

Good luck! 

Options

11 Posts

01-13-2018

United States of America

52 Signins

430 Page Views

• Message 726 of 881

2018-01-25, 0:14 AM

Everybody, please tell me SanDisk SSD is a bad thing and my laptop does not come with Samsung SSD. I am pissed that inequaility of people of getting different panel - I just got BOE panel which is inferior to LG one. My last day to return it is tomorrow. 

Options

182 Posts

04-08-2014

United States of America

226 Signins

1637 Page Views

• Views: 1637
  • Message 727 of 881

2018-01-25, 1:13 AM

wrote:

Who marked this as solved anyway?

This problem is not solved, it's being ignored, that's all.

This has been my last Lenovo purchase. I used to recommend Lenovo machines to my manager, when we had to buy new notebooks for the company employees, but I will not recommend Lenovo any more. Poor, really poor performance.

@kagronick & @snake2332 

Any updates on your end?

I am boxing it up tomorrow and shipping it in for repair. Fingers crossed it comes out well!

I requested they don't reimage my storage - I actually didn't sign that part on the form. The only reason I figure they'll reimage it is because I also requested they replace the touchpad because it fails to detect touches around 5% or 10% of the time. Guessing they'll want to put their image and drivers on the machine to "prove" that the touchpad is fine. Oh well...pretty sure a new touchpad would have the same issue anyway. I am at least giving them a local account to log into my non-work Windows 10 install.

I'll let you guys know what the new screen looks like and stuff. I'm not worried about light bleed since that doesn't bother me.

Boy, I miss this Thinkpad W530 keyboard that I'm typing on right now. And kinda miss the TrackPoint "nub". I do NOT miss this touchpad, though, so tiny and bumpy!

Options

19 Posts

08-12-2015

United States of America

39 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 728 of 881

2018-01-25, 2:20 AM

While I totally understand that it sucks to get the lesser of two options on a high priced device like that (different displays on high end smartphones, different displays in laptops, different SSDs), it's also useful to take into account the level of impact that might have on your experience.

For example, the benchmarks I've seen of the Sandisk vs the Samsung SSD does indicate the Samsung benchmarks faster, in real world use you're not likely to notice much difference (unles your specific use case requires transfering large amounts of data on the disk on a regular basis).

I have a BOE on my 15" 4K, and while I haven't seen the LG display (if one comes on this laptop), I've gone through a few laptops recently trying to find the "right one" for me (a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, a Surface Pro, and a couple others) - and the BOE display on my 15" 4K Yoga is fantastic.

Availability of specific hardware creates these situations - I read recently BOE overtook LG as the largest display manufacturer, so it's possible that's why you'll see more BOE displays - it's what's available to Lenovo at this time. Same could go for the Sandisk vs Samsung issue. Of course, it could also be cost related - maybe one was cheaper for Lenovo than the other - but it's a business, and if the performance is still fantastic overall, they might make that business decision. I'm not saying you should be HAPPY about it - but if you find the performance up to par and the display quality makes you happy, you should love your laptop! If it doesn't, consider an exchange? No one should keep something they're unhappy with.

The more important concern I'd say would be things like this garbage "black bar" issue that Lenovo has not sufficiently explained, or offered a reasonable assurance that we won't all see it happen eventually. Mine was manufactured in October 2017, but I've only had it a few weeks, so I'm still really nervous about the black bar appearing.

Options

11 Posts

01-13-2018

United States of America

52 Signins

430 Page Views

• Message 729 of 881

2018-01-25, 4:30 AM

@evancg

Thanks you. Do you detect any flickering, on/off, and fast refreash from this BOE panel has PWM issue? I could see detect it sometime. I do not encournted big performance yet since I always used to use mechanical hard drive, but I know that the benchmark is weaker than Samsung SSD. 

Options

2 Posts

12-26-2017

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 730 of 881

2018-01-25, 4:55 AM
Just turn off the intel display power saving technology.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms