Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Dot
Paper Tape
Views: 758
Message 781 of 786

Re: Yoga 720 Display Issue

I purchased this 720 15 over a year ago and within 6 months I had the issue. This is the first I have heard that the screen layers are shifting. Now that I look at it, I can clearly see the black line is close to a clear piece in it. I sent it in the first time and it took over a month to get it back. When it did come back, the laptop no longer sits correctly on a flat surface.

I purchased the extended warranty after this happened, figuring it would happen again. It has now happened again! I have the lenovo self repair setup at work and since this is a consumer product, I cannot order the parts myself and still have it under warranty. That alone is crazy to me, it was half the reason I purchased the device. I should have looked beforehand. Next time, I may just get an enterprise level device for repairability. 

One thing, has anyone attempted to repair the screen itself? If I could heat the screen up and shift the layer back and then glue it in place, I would rather do that than attempt to allow someone with potentially less skills than I already have, ruin my machine any more. That and I really do not like how it came back dirty and the frame was bent. 

Anyone out there able to verify that the screen itslef can be repaired?

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 724
Message 782 of 786

After wasting a whole lot of time going round and round on this with Lenovo and other sources I don't think it can be adequately 'repaired' and I've had Lenovo CS people tell me and others that.  Essentially the screen composition depends upon compression to hold the pieces together in place and it still wouldn't be a huge problem without the black border around the diffusion later.   Essentially opening / closing the lid flexes the bits enough that over time that layer slides in the direction of gravity. 

Like you I've found out their consumer line is a different world of servicability and support compared to thinkpads.   Since my 720 experience I've written off their consumer line as more potential headaches than they are worth.   That said... if you bought your unit directl from Lenovo, its still under warranty and the last repair didn't go well... you have a good shot of getting them to replace it with a similarly specced device or giving you credit to get something else... IF you spend a lot of time dealing with support, don't give in, don't go away when they hang up on you 'accidentally' and so on.   In my case I bought from a brick and mortar store to avoid the wait time and their official response was... 'we no have your money, your problem not ours'. 

Now there are a few things you can do yourself...  you can fix it for a time using the same method that got it there...  leave the computer in tent mode and the screen is facing the other way so the diffusion layer will slide upward and back out of site after a while.   If you carry it often and use a case / sleeve.. make sure the 'top' of the screen is facing down in your bag...   it takes it  a while to slide down into view so once its out of site if you split the screen time  top up and top down it won't come into view again.  Thats likely how it got by testing in the first place.  

If you use your computer like a laptop all the time and leave it with the screen up...the diffusion layer will be in view... but you could adjust your screen resolution say 20 pixels less in the vertical... this will give you slightly less resoluton on your 4k screen but still MUCH better than FHD and the black letterbox bars at the top and bottom of the screen will effectively HIDE the black line. 

Since your last repair left you with a damaged unit I would scream for a replacement though.     

Highlighted
Michael_Dot
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 783 of 786

I did purchase from brick and mortar. I purchased the 3 year warranty from Lenovo though. Wonder if they act differently.  

Since I now know or isn't pixel based, I tried to bump it back into place. Worked for now.  Of I could access the side of the plastic, I could put some glue on it. 

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 690
Message 784 of 786

There take on brick and mortar purchase vs direct purchase is rather stark... I don't know if its a chinese vs US way of looking at things but its definitely something to keep in mind in any future dealings with Lenovo.... 

If you purchased from a brick and mortar they will honor their warranty...   so if you have 3 year depot service you can send it in every time it happens be without your machine for a few weeks... hope it doesn't come back to you more damaged than the last time... and they will have 'fixed' the issue.  Fixing this issue amounts to 'officially' replacing the screen...   but I could see them just sitting it upside down for a week or so and sending it back.   The goal her is to run you through your warranty so eventually it will happen out of warranty and you will buy a new device.  

If you purchased from them... they view it differently... because they got your money directly instead of getting money indirectly through a brick and mortar channel sale.    So since they 'have' you money...  they can make sense of accepting your machine back and sending you something else comparable.    They have $$$ from you and will make more $$$ from you reselling your problem child as a refurb. 

But if you didn't buy directly from there they aren't going to do anything outside the letter of the warranty.   So while you may see comments from people that got their machine exchanged for a similar model... they won't do it for brick and mortar sales.   I pushed for weeks and the best they offered me was a 30-60 day extenion on the warranty... so if i sent it in to get it fixed and it happened again i could give it another shot before it happened again out of warranty.   And with how many people like you I've head getting their machine back in worse condition than when it went in... I decided against that road.   Pretty much wrote it off as lesson learned and I won't buy another consumer produce from lenovo.  

Almost
Paper Tape
Views: 601
Message 785 of 786

Right @Alchemist42; here it is April 18, 2019 and I'm on Lenova's website goofing off for an hour AFTER finding the big green "Solved" banner that linked me to an apology for raising my expectations [that I might actually see a solution]. That was posted in September of 2017!

After muddling through some 80 community pages commenting about this 'line' anomoly; (mine is a perfectly straight, but skewed black line, the width of a Sharpie at the top of my Yoga 720 15lKB screen. I discovered it like, 'wait a minute... This was never here before...' Queue Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra,) I feel like I've turned the door knob to discover all of you other poor sods singing the chorus, "Tell the Moon Dog, Tell the March Hare..."

Hi. My name is Almost and I own a Lenova.

Poste Script: Is there an actual, you know, solution? 

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 589
Message 786 of 786

Welcome to the club...   bet you wish you weren't a member...  but hey it was only a matter of time...  its a design flaw... how soon or often the black line shows up depends purely on your usage. 

There isn't a real 'fix' in the sense that it resolves the problem... but understanding the problem can make it a lost closer to a non-issue. 

The issue and the solution is gravity...    there is a plastic layer under the glass and above the screen... it has a black border around it that we aren't ever supposed to see.    This plastic layer isn't attached... its held in place by friction and compression of the layers of the screen... or rather its supposed to be...  the plastic slides around under the screen being pulled down by gravity. 

So every time you use the computer as a laptop... the plastic is sliding down toward the hinge...   every time you use the yoga in tent mode the plastic is sliding downward... away from the hinge....  when you put it in your bag...  if the hing is up gravity pulls it away from the hing... hing down... the opposite.  

As long as your using it so its pulled away from the hing in equal or greater measure to when its pulled toward the hinge.... you will never see the black line.   

Now that your seeing the black line...   put it in tent mode... or put it in the case with the hing 'up' and where it opens 'down'... leave it that way for a few hours or day...   the black line will be gone... for a while. 

So in medical terms there is no cure but its a managable condition.  

Alternatively... some people will just adjust their screens vertical resolution so its 10-20 pixels less.... t his creates black bars at the top/bottom of the screen... since the line is black too it looks like you 'intended' it that way.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors