Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSke3D
Fanfold Paper
Views: 591
Message 791 of 799

Re: Yoga 720 Display Issue

Thank you for your response. Yes this is a hardware issue, however, I found that this issue came up after the windows 10 updates. Smiley Sad  And I have found that it is not only Lenovo laptop that is having the same issues.  It is almost every manufacture who installed 4K screens and were working fine, until the latest windows 10 updates. 

Highlighted
Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 575
Message 792 of 799

MSke3D,

Your 'solution' has been used by several others but it doesn't 'fix' anything and the issues ALWAYS hardware not some issue with Windows 10 and 4k displays.    I'm a osftware developer with several 4k display devices that I use regularly its never been an issue on any machine by the Yoga 720 and is extensively documented what hardware / design defect causes the problem.

What your solution does is mask the problem by reducing your screen resolution creating a black border around your screen like a letterbox DVD playing on a 4x3 screen.  Since the 'screen' is treated as lower resolution due to your setting change there is a black border around the screen... since the black line is also black you don't notice that its there anymore.   Its still there you just cant see it... and you are sacrificing screen resolution for that illusion. 

Its a workable solution for many...  its not for me as i need my 4k display to actually be 4k for application testing... 4k video rendering, etc. 

Since Lenovo never fixed the screen design... even sending it in for replacement just resets the clock before it happens to you again...   considering Lenovos complete disinterest in fixing the problem you have four options...

1. Mask it by lowering your screen resolution...

2. If still in warranty send it in for a replacement screen.  It won't fix the problem but it may be a while before it happens again.  Just hope they don't break anything while fixing it.  Some have had issues.  

3. Ignore it.  Its a physical black line between the led panel and the glass... it doesn't hinder operation its just annoying.  Some can annoy it easily.  others not so much.    

5. Manage your usage...   if you leave your notebook vertical with the hinge up for a couple days the emulsion layer with the black line will slide back out of view...   once it has done that...  just always make sure you have the screen with the open edge down more often than you have it with the open edge up... and gravity will keep the black line out of sight.   So if its in your bag often... make sure its vertical with the hinge up.    When surfing videos, watching movies, etc. use it in tent mode with the hinge up, etc.     basically the problem is gravity pulling the emulsion layer down far enough that you can see its black edge...  but to do that it has to be 'open like a notebook' or oriented in some other way with the top of the screen up above the hinge. 

cushcalc
Punch Card
Views: 562
Message 793 of 799

@Alchemist 42

Your #5 used to work for me, sometimes I would even thump the laptop on the carpet while in that hinge up position, and shake the emulsion layer down, but now, no amount of storing it hinge up and/or thumping it will drop the layer back down, so I have resorted to #1, which is tolerable for my use. I never attempted sending in for repair because of all the horror stories I've read about those experiences!

MSke3D
Fanfold Paper
Views: 501
Message 794 of 799

I do not know what happened to my post in response to this "gravity" but gravity has nothing to do with the solution that fixes the screen.  Anyone who is a programmer or a PC tech like myself knows this - PC tech for over 20 years.  I use PC workstations and laptops for 3d production as well as rendering out moives.  But as far as compiling video, i use my PC.  The Lenovo 720 laptop was not designed for that. 

I will simply say this: it is a well known issue with windows 10 updates and Intel chipsets with graphics, motherboards and with video cards.  The black line is not solved by gravity!

My solution for me works.  Although it is not a full 4K, for me, it does not have to be. I am not here to argue wheter or not the product is defective or not. If you feel it is, by all means return it.  But from reading others posts, the black line returns. If the black line returns, then I know that the chipset on the motherboard is fried because of the windows 10 updates.  I am not here to argue anything, put down anyone, or to say my knowledge or experince is greater than others. I was merely trying to help with a solution that is known, has been known, and has affected me after the windows 10 updates. 

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 465
Message 795 of 799

MSke3d,

Not trying to argue either...   the issue is the design of the screen...  every yoga 720 15" is suseptable to this problem.   Lenovos solution is to send it in for repairs and they swap out your screen...  hoping it won't do it again until you are out of warranty.    The problem is physical not software... as you have found their is a software work around that satisfies many but it doesn't actually fix anything, only masks it. 

Eseentially the screen is made up of several layers...  backlight, led, glass, digitizer, etc.    just below the glass is a piece of plastic and in their infinite wisdom they printed a black border around the edge of this plastic to aid in placement at the factory. 

The Yoga 720 does not glue these layers together but counts on pressure and surface tention to hold all the pieces in place... but the screen casing flexes every time you open the screen and this piece of plastic can slide. 

Since things fall in the direction gravity is pulling them...   when the hinge is down the plastic slides down bit by bit until the black border is in view. 

Flipping it over and letting it sit will usually fix it for a while...  as other have said... shaking it, etc. can also do it...  but nothing is 100% as just as easily as it started sliding it could stop again. 

Lenvovo could have fixed this easily by securing the plastic with some adhesive but chose not to. 

Lnels009
Blue Screen Again
Views: 443
Message 796 of 799

Hello all,

I originally posted message 777 in this topic regarding my issue with the Black line on my Yoga 720 4K. Here is my follow up on the issue and my overall horrible experience dealing with Lenovo customer service and technicians:

When I reached out to Lenovo about the Black line issue, the manufacturers warranty had expired by 2 days. I spoke with someone at the service center and explained that I did not have the laptop for more than 3 months before the line appeared. As some of you may know, many employees at the overseas call center have heavy accents and there is a slight lanuage barrier (this is my opinion). I asked the agent if this issue was common and she said Yes. Then, I asked her if there was a recall on the screen since the issue was widespread. The agent said YES, there is a recall on the screen because of the issue. At that point, I requested a repair for my laptop since she told me that there was an active recall for this common issue. I proceeded to check the recalls on the Lenovo site to find the 720 screen recall notice, but I could not find it. I asked the agent where the recall notice was posted. She said she didnt know and that I would have to pay for the repair and mail the laptop to the service center. I told her that she literally just informed me of a recall on the screen and that recalls are not paid for by the customer. After 20 minutes of back and forth confusion talking to her, I asked for a manager. She stated that no managers were available and that one could call me within 24 hours. I told her that 24 hours was not acceptable to me. After repeatedly asking to talk to a manager or someone from Lenovo Management in the USA, she then offered to repair the screen for free. She took my info and mailed me shipping box for the laptop along with a return label.

After reading reviews about the repair centers scamming people into paying for "free" repairs, I took several pics of my laptop from every angle. I even made a 4 minute video showing the entire laptop and how it had no damage, then me placing it into the box and sealing it. The only way to proove the repair center wrong when they claim your laptop was damaged when you mailed it is to have photos/videos of the original condition. I mailed the laptop via Fed Ex and waited patiently for updates online regarding the repair. After seeing no status updates a week after I mailed it, I called customer service to see what the holdup was. Again, I spoke to an agent overseas with an accent that was extremely difficult for me to understand. When I asked for someone with a softer accent, she told me that there was no one else I could talk to. Then, the agent told me that my screen was cracked when it arrived and that I would need to pay the full price for a new screen in order for them to repair it. I immediately notified her that the screen was not cracked and she asked if I had proof. I told her that I had many pictures and a 4K crystal clear video of the laptops condition when I mailed it. The agent told me that I would need to pay over and over again until I asked for a manager. The cost was $256 for a new display, plus $65 labor and $18 for taxes! She said she would assign a Case Manager for my issue and to wait for them to contact me.

A few days later I got an email from a woman in North Carolina who is a Case Manager (CM) for Lenovo US. I was excited to speak with someone in the US and get the issue resolved. I told the CM that I mailed the laptop in because of a Black line issue and the screen was not cracked. I also told her that I had proof of the laptop in good condition, which she never even asked to see, and she ended up waiving the fee for a new screen and telling the repair warehouse to resume the service. They could not locate my laptop for a few days, but eventually found it, fixed it, and mailed it back. This is where the story gets interesting.

When I revieved the laptop, I opened the box and immediately assumed that they mailed someone else's laptop to me. The top of the cover had NUMEROUS scratches on it as if someone slid it back and forth across the floor or used it as a skateboard. There were dents on 2 sides of the laptop and other marks on it that were not there when I sent it to them. On top of that, THE SCREEN WAS NOT REPAIRED. They literally had my laptop for 3 weeks and didnt even fix it, they just made it worse. I asked the CM to call me the next day, but never recieved follow up about the damaged laptop. The only thing I could think of was to take my issue to social media. I went on Twitter and posted a tweet about my laptop being damaged at the repair center and included a pic of the scratched up laptop. I tagged @Lenovo, @LenovoUS, and @LenovoSupport in hopes to get someones attention. Surprisingly, someone sent me a direct message the same day and said they would put me in contact with a Case Manager immediatley! 

When the manager reached out, she asked if I had proof that the laptop didnt look like that when it was mailed. I sent her many pictures and broke down the 4 min video into smaller sections so it could be emailed. She responded with an email stating that they would replace the entire laptop with a newer version because the 4K 720 was no longer in stock. I ended up getting the newer 4K 730 model that does not have the black line issue.

When I opened up the 730 Yoga box and tried to use the laptop, the wifi would disconnect every 5 mins. After some research, I figured out that the wifi card in the 730 model as horrible and needed to be replaced. I purchased a 3 year extended warranty with in home service for this laptop, so they came and replaced the wireless card within 3 days and no other issues occured. A few weeks later, after using the laptop no more than 6 or 7 days max, I realized that the hinge was loose on one side. After researching the issue, the hinges on the 730 model were cheap and pretty much guaranteed to fall apart. I called customer service and technicians were sent to my house to replace the hinge. Turns out that when the hinges are replaced, the screen and top cover also need to be replaced. The technicial did not have all of the parts, so he reordered them and said it would be another 5 days or so. A different technician came out to repair the laptop and supposedly had all of the parts. He began taking the laptop apart and broke the screen when removing it from the hinge (apparently, the screen always breaks when replacing the hinges). The technician opened the box of parts and realized that the new screen was NOT in the box! He told me that he would need to reorder parts and reschedule the repair. I called customer service and told them that I could not waste anymore time with having these techs come to my home without the parts that they need. They apologized for the issues and said that the screen replacement is on backorder and offered to send me a new laptop. For some reason, they offered me a new 730 4K or the new C930 top of the line model. I chose the C930 since it was smaller, lighter and didnt have any bad reviews. They transferred my 3 year extended warranty and accidental damage warranty over to the new C930 and mailed it to me next day. I have not had any issues with the C930 (yet).

Issues with the Black line on the Yoga 4K 720 are hardware related. Lenovo is highly aware of this issue, but they pretend that it does not exist. No software can fix it. You can get rid of it temporarily, but it will always come back. If you mail your laptop to the repair center, they might try to say the screen is broken and that you have to pay unless you have proof that it wasnt broken. I recommend making videos of the laptop because a picture can be from any point in time and they can fight back saying that the picture was not recent. In my video, I made sure to show the date and time on my laptop and on other devices just so they could see the day I recorded it. Sorry for the long message, this is just my story and what I went through with Lenovo. I apologize for any typos.

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 418
Message 797 of 799

Lnels009,

I had similar experiences with Lenovo support... its amazing how different the support is from their consumer products than it is for their thinkpad line.   I won't even consider a non-thinkpad lenovo product today for that reason. 

In my case I contacted them with days left on my warranty (I thought i lucked out and got a good one until then,  now I know there are no good ones... just ones that haven't failed yet).    Likely spent around 30hrs total talking to support.    I had read others had had their notebook replaced with a newer model which seemed the best albeit unlikely outcome.  

But in the end...  I didn't buy my yoga 720 directly from their website...  so the told me point blank...  we would replace your unit with a newer comparable model but you didn't buy it from our website... so we aren't going to back our product and your stuck with it...  the broken english chinese guy actually said...   we no help you, we no have your money so no help for your. 

They did eventually offer to extend my warranty for an additional 30 days so I could send the unit in to have the screen replaced...  while acknowledging that this doesn't fix the problem just resets the timebomb as all 720 4k screens have this issue in their design and that has never been corected.    They also offered to give me a whole $200 tradein discount if I wanted to send it in and buy something else.   

I declined and told them they are the losers here as between reviews, recommendations and puchases I'll cost them far more than what they scammed out of me.   I'm kinda stuck with the machine now...    I won't sell it for how much i can get with the defective screen and cant really justify getting the line to go away long enough to sell it only to leave them with the problem.. 

dethfromabove
Paper Tape
Views: 252
Message 798 of 799

Browsing this thread it does not seem like this ever got fixed. Did Lenovo ever offer a solution other than just swapping out a faulty laptop for an equally-faulty one, or did people just MacGyver their own solutions?

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 234
Message 799 of 799

They never fixed it...   I read about the problem long before buying mine and contacted Lenovo about it before making my purchase and they assured me the problem had been fixed in manufacturing and was no longer an issue.   Since then I've talked to a number of lenovo techs that confirmed it was never fixed and there is no 'fix' as its a design flow that would require retooling the screen components and they just moved on to the 730 instead.    essentially they counted on pressure/friction to hold things in place and didn't count on torsion / flex of the screen opening/closing. 

Their general 'solution' is to have you send in your machine and get a 'new' screen.   But many people have complained about their machines being damaged in the process... and the 'new' screen has the same design flaw as the old screen... they are just kicking the can down the road until you are out of warranty. 

If you scream loudly enough, often enough and get transferred to the right people... AND you bought the computer directly from their webiste they have been known to send you a new different but comparable model computer.  

In my case I didn't buy from their website...  so after more than 30 hours fighting tech support and talking to folks in china they essentially told me...  well we know you have this warranty thing but you bought your computer from best buy so its best buys problem not our problem...  we no have your money so we no help you.    Basically stating that Lenovo warranties are only honored if you bought the computer from their website.  anywhere else... nope, your on your own.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors