Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cworkman74
Core Memory
Views: 3,026
Message 91 of 786

Re: Yoga 720 Display Issue

I am kind of surprised there have been no stories on this on any of the computer tech sites.

ramac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,457
Message 92 of 786

Now I'm curious. I'm picturing the diffuser sheet sliding down from the top right corner as you're looking at the screen which causes its opaque border to block the backlight it overlaps creating the tilted black line. The black line appears at an angle representing the amount the sheet has rotated down from the corner. If the sheet is at all rigid I'd think its right vertical edge would also end up tilting creating another line from the top to bottom on the right side of the screen. Maybe the diffuser sheet's just not tilting enough for that to happen. Or maybe the tilt is so slight the sheet is effectively just sliding straight down, not causing any issue on the right side. (Sorry, also an engineer so always in analysis mode!). Either way I guess it doesn't matter. . I sure hope Lenovo does the right thing by all the unlucky owners stuck with this problem.
Cruzader1986
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,448
Message 93 of 786

That sucks, hope the FHD model I ordered doesn't have this issue since I would be stuck with it. But if it does, there is still a software solution but at the cost of the viewable screen real estate by scaling the display Smiley Frustrated

Capture.JPG

cworkman74
Core Memory
Views: 3,426
Message 94 of 786

ramac, that is a really good question, and I have thought of that myself. The only thing I can think of is that it was slid far enough to the left and bottom that the tilt could not be seen on the left side upper and bottom side left. It really had a lot of play when I took the sheets out.

This diffuser sheet is as rigid as a transparency film (not very rigid at all.) The other diffuser and prism film are also very flimsy, but that is pretty standard.

I peeled apart the actual glass layers to verify that this defect could not have been between the glass sheets (where the actual liquid crystal is), and I could not see anything that could have caused the black line.

ramac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,158
Message 95 of 786

I'm betting your discovery is what they'll verify as the root cause. Curious, was there any obvious attachment flaw like some sort of broken tabs or failed glue joints or whatever? I'm hoping they didn't just throw it in there with out some mechanism for locking it in place with the proper alignment.
srozear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,390
Message 96 of 786

Cworkman74 - was this something you were able to fix after taking the screen apart? Could you put the screens/filters together the way they're supposed to be and reassemble the unit?

cworkman74
Core Memory
Views: 3,369
Message 97 of 786

No, it requires removing a seal for the panel layers. I wouldn't say it would be impossible, though, to get back together. (Just extremely difficult!)

It's worse in my case because I broke the glass in the process of investigating between the two sheets of glass.

hypersniper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,335
Message 98 of 786

Thank you for taking your unit apart. In all honesty I think lenovo should send you a free replacement for doingtheresearch. It seems their engineering group is falling behind in researching this issue. I doubt there would ever be a recall, and if so you run the risk of sending it in for repair. 

cworkman74
Core Memory
Views: 3,318
Message 99 of 786

Thanks hypersniper, but I bet they knew exactly what the issue was before I took my unit apart. The problem is that they have to work with the supplier for resolution, so I'm sure they want to have everything resolved before talking about it to us customers (and they may never do that since we don't really have the pull that a large corporation customer would have). If it's a manufacturing issue on every screen, it's going to take some time to get replacements.

I manage a yield and quality group in the semiconductor industry, so I know how this process works. In a way, I feel their pain! Smiley Happy

hypersniper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,307
Message 100 of 786

Thanks again, I really love this laptop and I don't think I will ever go back to 1080p. Matter of fact if the line doesn't get worse I might just keep it and wait for a resolution. I think lenovo should open its doors to other display suppliers because it seems one of biggest complaints is display issues and I am not just talking about this one in particular. I still have my other lenovo Y70-touch and it to had issues in the beginning from the display flickering to a weak design on the display hinge. Ive since fixed those issues by replacing parts but still. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors