Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evancg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,463
Message 661 of 797

Re: Yoga 720 Display Issue

I don't detect any flickering of any kind on my BOE display but I don't know that I'm very sensitive to it - I know it's kind of a personal experience thing, but for me the display is excellent. I've tried increasing and decreasing brightness and I never notice any flickering that bothers me. But if you've noticed flickering that is bothering you, that's definitely an understandable reason to return it.

As for the benchmarks - even though the Samsung benchmarks faster, it really depends on how big a difference the benchmark is - a 5% or even 10% difference in benchmarks may translate to a difference you won't ever notice in real world use - but again, if your particular use case is data transfer heavy, maybe it will be more important. For games, office, coding, whatever - maybe it won't make any noticable difference at all!

Microeye
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,432
Message 662 of 797

@wllm

yes, I understand your needs, I don't think this laptop is for gaming, Although it has the Specs...
I use it for a graphic work and i can tell you that there are not much of a difference in pen use, it's not the best tool for drawing but it works and it fun to use (as a designer use only wacom, other doesn't work as good as wacom, and that's the plus in the yoga 720).

but if you must the 4K you can take it, you may connect it to 4k monitor, I really hope you won't have any black line problem, anyway the 4K screen is amazing (on the yoga 720), I just prefer fewer problems.
wish you the best! and good luck.

i would like to here if u got any problems Smiley Happy

shawnxtx
Punch Card
Views: 2,232
Message 663 of 797

I finally able to get the monitor by LG - LGD04EF with the Samsung 256G NVME SSD by exchanging 4th time at my local BestBuy's USA; it is like winning the lottery.I think that LG display screen is better since I experienced two other different models: BOE04FA and IVO. 

Microeye
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,217
Message 664 of 797

So you are telling me that you have the yoga 720 (4k version) with a different screen attached ?

shawnxtx
Punch Card
Views: 2,214
Message 665 of 797

^Mine is FHD version, but there are three different LCD panel manufacture companies: 

1) LG (Korea) - The most demanding and lucky people will get this display since it is the best panel without PWM and less issues.  

2) IVO (China) - I didn't experience the PWM effect and I think it doesn't use PWM. It is great and 2nd best, but it seemed a bit dull.

3) BOE (China) - this panel is using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) that able to control the brightness with cheap easy way by turning on and off during the lower brightness (any level below full 100% brightness) as well as the backlight is always not lowered. For sensitive people like myself, my eyes are getting tired and affected negatively from able to detect these on/off frequency. In additon, I read a lot of issues with 4K monitor owners here like black-line(s) on the top of the display. It is also the most common panel that people got; especially, BestBuy's USA. 

These things are based on my experience though exchanging 4 times and my opinion only. 

JTruj1ll0923
Paper Tape
Views: 2,178
Message 666 of 797

How do you determine the screen you have? I am going to Best Buy today and might see if they have any of the LG version screens to replace mine.

lkojhbh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,976
Message 667 of 797

I would like to know as well.

My screen developed this issue today and going to bestbuy to return it.

Hope I get the better screen when I exchange

Starrbuck68
SCSI Port
Views: 1,848
Message 668 of 797

HWiNFO will show you your screen manufacturer.

https://www.hwinfo.com

BTW, I checked and I have the BOE.  My eyes are usually pretty sensitive, but I don't notice any flicker at all.

I got lucky on some other internals... Samsung SSD, Samsung video memory on my GTX 1050, and Samsung RAM.

Yoga 720 | Intel i7-7700HQ | GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz | Samsung 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD | 15.6" UHD IPS Touchscreen 2160p | Win 10 Pro 64-bit
evancg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,835
Message 669 of 797

lkojhbh, what was the manufacturing date of your 720?

lkojhbh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,812
Message 670 of 797

This detail was on the box the laptop came in.

Country of Origin: (4L)Origin:CN

Date of manufacture: 3rd November 2017

On the back of the laptop the manufacturing unit was PRC4

I returned the laptop and exchanged for a HP Omen.

I really liked the laptop and wanted a touchscreen with a digitizer. But too much problem and I cannot afford to take a chance at 1000+, considering Lenovo doesn't even care.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors