Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bostwickenator
Not applicable
Views: 942
Message 761 of 786

Re: Yoga 720 Display Issue

No all display units are vulnerable to this problem @mark__b. I agree this product is a breach of the consumer garuntee acts of multiple countries.

Admin note; post edited in accordance with the Community Guidelines.

JJ9511
Not applicable
Views: 814
Message 762 of 786

Hey guys,

I was about to buy a Yoga 720 model before I ran into this thread..

Do you guys think it's not worth purchasing the Yoga 720 for $1100? The spec will be 4k, i7 7700hq, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1050 2gb ram.

evancg
Not applicable
Views: 795
Message 763 of 786

@JJ9511 wrote:

Hey guys,

I was about to buy a Yoga 720 model before I ran into this thread..

Do you guys think it's not worth purchasing the Yoga 720 for $1100? The spec will be 4k, i7 7700hq, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1050 2gb ram.

It's kind of the ultimate question. Are you in a region where that is an unbeatable price? I mean, the laptop is around a year old now, so newer models with newer mobile CPUs and possibly newer gpus are available. If you're in a region where anything like that is way more expensive, then I guess the questions are:

Does a thin black line along the top or the screen bother you? Because it seems likely you may get one...

Do you want to support a brand that knowingly sells a defective product because the defect is not showstopping?

Personally, I've avoided all Lenovo products since this debacle. I know every company has it's issues, but that Lenvo acknowledged this issue then completely ignored it and it's customers is just awful. I've looked elsewhere for my computing needs ever since.

Maugha
Not applicable
Views: 785
Message 764 of 786

It's high, in my opinion. Here's a quick search that produced this one, but it only has 8gig ram. However that is SO easy and so cheap to upgrade. Make sure to read the small print under the price, the open boxes are going for $646...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-730-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memor...
RainbowSlate
Not applicable
Views: 698
Message 765 of 786

This issue has been happening to my laptop that I bought over a year ago for awhile, and now it's out of warranty. Is there anything I can do? There's also another issue with the screen but hopefully I can get it replaced/repaired? I can't pay hundreds of dollars just to fix my computer, and this seems to be Lenovo's fault? I spoke with support twice but they were completely dismissive and unhelpful. 

chambo
Not applicable
Views: 589
Message 766 of 786

Quick update: After being extremely persistent with the Customer service manager they assigned me that these screens seem to be unfixable, they finally offered to send me a replacement laptop of another line free of charge in exchange for my yoga. I have the legion y730 now and it seems to have no big issues (other than fan control, but it is a gaming laptop). For those that are still struggling for a fix, the Lenovo yoga 720 is no longer being produced due to the yoga 730 taking it's place. The yoga 730 has even worse screen flickering issues, so if you are persistent enough try seeing if you can exchange for something more reliable like a Thinkpad or the legion if gaming/work was your goal like me. It doesn't seem like Lenovo is going to fix this simple screen issue at this point and they will waste your time trying to repair with more defective replacement screens.

vandetta
Not applicable
Views: 533
Message 767 of 786

Lenovo sure is trying to get this issue forgotten but I will not forget nor buy another Lenovo product ever. This is surely not a warranty issue but a manufacturing defect. I called the customer service. First thing they ask is the warranty. I couldn't find the right way of explaining that if a person suffers from this it may be a defective unit and if the warranty is over yes this is acceptible. But if almost all Lenovo Yoga 720 users are suffering from it then it is a production defect and there should be a re-call or replacement scheme. All they told me to call the parts department and ask for a quote for a replacement which ended up with them asking for the price of a new computer for a faulty screen they have manufactured. This is a complete rip-off which will surely escalate wherever I can.

chambo
Not applicable
Views: 525
Message 768 of 786

Yeah Lenovo Customer Service is abysmal. Just so you know, the furthest you can escalate your case is to get a specific case manager. That  is the individual who you'd have to convince of your issue. This took a lot of work in my case, and I started by asking for a full refund only to finally be offered a choice of replacement around the same price/specs after a lot of explanation/complaining from me. If you really want to give them a word on Twitter, just tweet at the CEO or something. Tweeting at the Lenovo twitter just gets you a typical support rep (and you'd probably still only get the same treatment with tweets at the CEO tbh).

You can also check with your credit card for extended warranties. Discover had one up until Feb 2018, so if you purchased with Discover before then, they could potentially refund you if your warranty is up and you can get a repair shop to deem the unit unrepairable. I don't know if other cards have this. This could obviously work pretty well, though it could also easily be a headache (the replacement was the easiest option for me).

You can also attempt legal action, but I'm gonna guess that will be difficult unless people are up to the challenge.

Alchemist42
Not applicable
Views: 434
Message 769 of 786

I find is funny that this issue is marked [Solved] back on page 30 or so and still goes on as unfixable through page 77.   

I saw this problem before I bought my Yoga 720 15 4k and even talked to lenovo customer service before buying one to make sure the problem had been resolved.  I was assured they had made manufacturing changes at the factory and it was no longer and issue on machines built after such and such date.  What a crock, I got a machine built months after that and still got the problem.  

But thats when I found out Lenovos view of warranties and support isn't what you would expect here in the US.    After spending days talking to everyone under the sun I finally reached native asian speakers with broken english so I guess I hit the chinese locations.    Their big problem was that I purchased my yoga 720 at a store... so their view was that the store was responsible for ALL warranty support since 'we no have your money" they didn't see a need to honor their warranty.   When I pressed the issue and asked to talk to a supervisor they left me on hold for a very long time then told me they were busy on another call.  After I told them I would wait they hung up on me.  So sorry. 

After another couple hours on the phone reaching that point again...  I met a nicer man although we still went through the 'we no have your money, no support' while i would reply with 'your product, your warranty, you honor your warranties don't you' circle a dozen or two times before he 'tried to get something done'.   Lots more time on hold (I should send them a bill at this point, I could buy a replacement with my time spent)...  

There eventually... absolute 'best' they could do was to tell me to call another group the next day (i was on hold til after they closed) and they could increase my warranty by 30 or possibly 60 days.    When I pointed out that was the same warranty that I have already and they aren't honoring...  i got the so sorry, best we can do.   

So now I have a realy expensive machine with a manufacturing defect that I was told point blank was fixed before I purchased it... and the warranty for lenovo products isn't worth the paper its printed on unless you buy the product directly from their website.   This surpised me as I've had several thinkpads then I realized... lenovo doesn't support them...  this is my first (and last) experience with lenovo support. 

Now every time I open the lid it looks like the black line has inched down a little further.   Its not overly 'in my way'  yet but still pissed me off as I know Lenovo lied to me then flatly refused to make it right.   I didn't expect much...  I would have even been happy with a partial credit of some kind which only would have cost them a dime if i spent more money with them.  But nope...  so sorry, we no have your money so you no have our product... doesn't matter that we built it... your problem.  

I've been buying and building hardware as an individual and for my employers for decades and this is some of the worst product support I've ever come across.   At least when you buy from a no name overseas vendor you know your not getting support and your paying accordingly.  Lenovo is a sham. 

lcefce09
Not applicable
Views: 314
Message 770 of 786

My new 720 15 got delivered today] and has this exact issue. I am not sure who I should contact about this problem. Should I get someone to come and replace the screen or is there an easy soltuion that has been found? After reading throught he comments, I am not sure how to proceed....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors