Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chambo
Paper Tape
Views: 869
Message 771 of 786

Re: Yoga 720 Display Issue

Return it and buy a computer elsewhere like a Dell or something if you want a 2 in 1. The Lenovo Yogas seem to all have defects of some kind.

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 868
Message 772 of 786

I bought my yoga 720 last january 2018 after seeing forum chatter about this issue and being assured by Lenovo that the problem had been fixed at the factory and was no longer a problem.   As you can see having just received a new one in 2019 that the problem has never been resolved.   

The problem is caused by a sheet of clear plastic with a black border that makes up one of the layers of the screen.  It tends to come lose and slide down the screen causing the black border to become visibe over the top of the screen.   On the bright side it doesn't appear to hurt functionality just looks like hell and kills your resale value. 

It can be temporarily fixed by using gravity.   Leave the screen in easel mode with the 'top' of the screen on the bottom for a while and the layer will slide back down/up out of view.  Of course if you flip it around the other way it will slide back down which kinda kills the flipping / multi-mode utility of the unit as your constantly thinking... if i flip it this way my screens gonna suck. 

From reading other posts in this thread and other places...  and that lenovo told me it was fixed over a year ago and yet is still a problem in new units.   I don't think its really 'fixable'.    If you just got it you can return it...   you can send it into lenovo and they will replace the screen... but then its only a matter of time before it happens again...  and again... until your out of warranty and they don't have to listen to you anymore.

Some others who happened to buy their units directly from Lenovo and didn't have the problem until after their return period were lucky enough to have lenovo replace them with a similar priced product.   Others like me who purchased my Yoga 720 from a retailer were told so long sucker...  as lenovo only stands behind their products if they sell them to you... otherwise its up to the retailer in their view.   This may be how it works in china but not in the US where retailers typically have a 15-30 day return period and refer you to the manufacturer for all warranty issues.  

In my case they bounced me around from department to department and eventually offered to extend my warranty 30 days as the best they could do.   Yes, they offered to extend the same warranty that wasn't any use to me...  i could send it in for a replacement screen then try to sell it to some other sucker before the screen went bad again but I won't screw someone the way Lenovo seems all to happy to do..  so in the end i'll likely just strip it for parts once the screen gets to bad to ignore. 

Anyway... in your case if you just got it...  and really want it... id insist on an exchange for a new one at least.   Sending in a new unit for repair should not be  your burden, its their problem.   Even then, its likely you will encounter the problem again before your warranty is up... and again after its up.   So if the defect isn't something you can live with for the price.    A return might be your best bet. 

After this experience I'm staying away from anything lenovo makes and supports directly...  thinkpad being the grey area as IBM is involved in their support.    But thats due to my bad support experience.  They do seem to make good products and I'm a huge thinkpad fan.  

The Yoga 730 4k 1050 should surpass the 720 in every way... it will also cost you a lot more money.     Another option to consider would be the Acer spin 5 nitro.   Like the yoga 730 its gtx1050 has 4gb of ram.  both of those have lower power processors but give similar performance to the downclocked 7700hq in the 720. 

The yoga 720 4k 1050 is a great machine except for an unfixable issue with the 4k screen and at least in my experience horrid support.   That said, if i bought one today Id return it in a heartbeat.   there are to many other options out there with similar or better performance... but then again I keep machines about a year usually and count on the resale to fund the next machine jump.   So the screen issue really screws with my next computer purchase... and Lenovos inability to work with me on it assures it won't be from them in any case. 

Good Luck.   

lcefce09
Paper Tape
Views: 863
Message 773 of 786

bostwickenator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 841
Message 774 of 786

FYI the 730 has a 15Watt CPU not a 45Watt and actually performs worse from what I've seen. In the real world it may not power throttle as badly though.

dreeze49
Fanfold Paper
Views: 837
Message 775 of 786

I would say keep searching reviews on other brands and make the wisest decision considering all of the known unresolved issues with the model you're interested in purchasing especially for that price. Although it's cheaper than the original retail value, it's still a very risky purchase since Lenovo has failed to resolve this issue for good and compensate customers who have struggled with this or at least replace our machines with newer models. Definitely keep shopping around. Good luck. 

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 829
Message 776 of 786

Yea, this thread was just getting started last year when Lenovo told me it had been fixed and I believe them (silly me, live and learn). Now its a year later and I'm stuck with it. Fool me once Lenovo...
Lnels009
Blue Screen Again
Views: 596
Message 777 of 786

I have a Yoga 720 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Quad Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD that I purchased late 2018. I rarely use the laptop, but the last time I used it, I randomly noticed a tilted black line on the top right corner of the screen. After a little bit of research, I learned that this black line issue is extremely common on the 4K model. I looked up my warranty and saw that it had expired 2 days prior to the black line appearing. I talked to customer support and after an hour of complaining about the line, they agreed to replace the screen for free. They shipped me a return box and label, which I recieved about a week later. I made a 5 minute video of me showing the laptop at every angle to prove there was no damage prior to putting it in the box, and I filmed myself placing it in the box and taping it up. I also showed the date and time just so they could see when I put it in the box. I made the video because I felt like only having a picture of the laptop without damage is not good enough proof to show that you didnt cause damage after the photo was taken. 

I received an email from lenovo support about the laptop a few days ago stating that there is a crack inside of the display which is causing the black line to appear. This makes no sense to me because out of all of the reviews/complaints I read about the black line, I had never seen anyone say that it was caused by a crack inside of the screen. I cannot understand how the laptop can be in perfect condition on the outside, yet be cracked inside. Lenovo is requesting that I pay $339 to repair the screen or else they cannot help me. I called the support center again and have been having trouble communicating with the agents. They are located in the Philippines and have very heavy accents which causes their English to be hard to understand. When I ask to speak to a manager, they tell me that no manager is available. I asked for more information about the cracked display, but no one has answers. I asked for proof that the display was really cracked, but no proof can be provided. I asked to speak to a technician and they say that it is not possible. I was getting no where and it was very frustrating. At this time, I also had not gotten a return call from the flex customer service agent who sent me the email about the cracked screen. 

A few hours later, I received a call from a woman located at the Memphis support center who spoke perfect English. She did not have any additional information for me besides the notes stating that the screen was cracked and wanting to know if I would like to pay or not. I asked her if there was proof of the cracked screen that I could see or if someone could explain the internal crack to me, but again I got no answers. She let me know that even after your Lenovo standard warranty expires, they have a 30 day grace period where they will still cover issues under the warranty. She told me that she would escalate my issue to a case manager who should be able to provide details and should hear from them within 48 hours. This was last Thursday and it is now Monday and no one has reached out to me. She also said I would receive an email from her that included the Salesforce case number that I would need to use going forward when calling about the laptop. I never got an email from her with that information, so now I have no idea of what info to give about the laptop besides the initial service number I was assigned. 

I feel like my laptop is being held hostage by Lenovo and that they are saying anything possible to make me pay for a new screen. When I made the initial call to Lenovo support in early February, the agent told me that there was a RECALL on the Yoga 4k 15 inch 720 screen, and that they would replace it for free because the black line is a common issue. I asked her why they did not send out emails to everyone with the defective laptop registered on Lenovo.com and she said that they dont go looking for people with the problem, they wait until people call in to have it fixed. I explained to her that recalls do not work that way and that they needed to make people aware of the recall. I looked up the Lenovo recall list, and did not see an official recall for the 720 screen, so I am confused and feel like I am being lied to. After reading this forum, it is completely clear that many people have this black line problem and that Lenovo does not care about it. I don't understand how they can sell a defective product and then not fix it when people have a problem with it. My laptop has no damage and there is no way that I could have caused an internal crack. The fact that Lenovo cant prove that there is actually a crack in the screen makes this situation worse because they are asking for money to fix something that literally may not even be broken just so they dont have to replace the screen with their own money. The support agents are only asking for my proof that the screen was not cracked before I mailed it....I do not understand why they need my proof before they can provide me with proof. I am interested to see what the case manager will say, if they ever call. I really need my laptop back!!!

Has anyone had this issue with Lenovo claiming that the screen is cracked internally which is causing the black line? There are no external cracks on the screen and no damage to the silver shell. Any advice or help here would be great since Lenovo is only giving me the run around and not honoring their agreement to replace the screen. 

chambo
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 778 of 786

The issue is, in fact, inside the screen in all models... but it is definitely not due to a crack! Lenovo support absolutely does not know how to handle this issue and either does lie or completely misinforms their staff. They have definitely never made an official recall, though they do quickly offer to repair the issue without question. The issue is, the replacement screens have the same defect!

When you talk to the case manager (they should eventually call, sometimes just delayed- make sure you get an email thread going with them too), I suggest complaining like crazy (you have to be insanely persisent on the phone) for a replacement machine from another line or a refund if possible. The fact that they are holding your machine like that sounds like borderline theft/extortion haha, you can defintely use that to argue too. At the very least they should face a penalty for not returning your machine!

Alchemist42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 548
Message 779 of 786

The issue represented in your picture is definitely the 'black line' issue all to common on 4k yoga 720 models.  

It is NOT a crack...  what causes it?   The touchscreen is made of of multiple layers... one of these is a thin layer of plastic,  i think its called the diffusion layer but could be wrong.   The sheet of plastic is under the glass and above the display...   it is clear but has a black border around it to aid in placement during manufacturing.    This layer comes lose and over time gravity pulls it downward until you see the black line present above the screen.   Its not 'in the screen' or 'in the glass' its just the black border on a piece of plastic that should be out of view but has slid down.   

In fact you can temporarily 'fix' the issue by leaving the laptop display in the other orientation for a while.   gravity will pull it back up and you wont be able to see it anymore.  

My understanding from talking to a lot of people and reading tech responses about this is that it is essentially unfixible.   Their 'solution' is to replace the screen and hope it doesn't happen again until its out of warranty.   Its not secured it slides.   So if someone flips their device back and forth a lot, uses it in tent mode a lot,  carries it in a bag with the hing up a lot...  they will likely never encounter this problem.   

Those who use it as a notebook more often so it spends more time with the 'top' of the screen higher than the 'bottom' of the screen will inevitably have this happen. 

That said... lenovo ignored it, replaced screens where they had to,  replaced units for something else comparable if you bought it from them and yelled loudly and often...  but they have moved on.   More and more of the machines are moving out of warranty and they will tell you whatever they need to in order to get past it.    Its turned me very sour on buying anything fromt hem.  

In your case...    someone told you they would replace your screen under warranty in order to resolve the call and move on...  in all likelyhood someone balked when they got your machine and they are telling you the screen is cracked instead of the black line to get you to pay for the replacement.   But its also possible the unit was damaged in shipment.    

with that in mind...   I would go on the offensive... tell them you have pictures of the screen issue and the unit from right before it was sent and the black line issue matches what everyone else has been getting not a crack.   If they are insisting its cracked now then it was cracked in shipment...   and ask them about the shipping insurance covering the damage or insist that insurance pay $$$ to you so you can pay for the repairs.   Basically call their BS. 

Lnels009
Blue Screen Again
Views: 508
Message 780 of 786

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I appreciate the info, and will let you know how this ends. Thanks again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors