Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cubic1271
Not applicable
Views: 10,665
Message 1 of 10

Yoga 720: Touchscreen not working

Hi all,

I've seen a few other posts on this subject, but haven't noticed anything too recent.  I've run into an issue with my brand new Yoga 720 where my touch screen fails to work.  Upon opening device manager, I see that my Wacom Device has a little alert next to it.  The error reported by the device is:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)  A request for the HID descriptor failed."

I have tried to reinstall the driver multiple times.  I've grabbed both the Lenovo and the Wacom versions of the driver with no success.

I just got the machine today.  The touch screen did not work during the initial installation process, so I don't think the updates are what killed it (as reported elsewhere).  It's also not promising that things magically started to work again after some amount of time.

I suppose I don't mind taking the laptop back, but it's otherwise such a nice little laptop (widespread issues with cheap display parts notwithstanding) that I'd really like to be able to hang on to it.

Any assistance and / or updates on this problem would be appreciated!

Doctordon
Not applicable
Views: 10,581
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 720: Touchscreen not working

Anything that doesn't work out of the box, I generally take back.

But, if you want to try some things, instead of just reinstalling the drivers, bring up the touchscreen in Device Manager and uninstall it. Reboot. Windows will see the touchscreen and install what it thinks are the best drivers for it. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
cubic1271
Not applicable
Views: 10,573
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

Yup, I did try that, but didn't have much success.  After an evening of playing around with the thing, I eventually gave up and did as you suggested. I was a little nervous to do it, because it's the first time I've ever really tried to exchange a laptop before.

When I took it back to the store, not only did they not give me any trouble, they mentioned that they've had enough trouble with these models that they recommended I return the thing entirely and actually get something else.  I think they mentioned they've been through three floor models already.  When I was over in the laptop section of the store, I noticed that the display model they have on the floor at present has the screen issue (black bar) mentioned elsewhere in the forums ... so I guess that'll be the fourth one they've been through.

This has me thinking that I have to be a little crazy to want to keep this thing, but ... the specs for the price (I got a reasonably good discount) were attractive enough that I doubt I'll be able to find something else that's quite as nice for the same price.  If that means it takes a few laptops to get one that works, I think I'm okay with that - I made sure to buy the extended warranty, so I'm hoping I'll be covered Smiley Happy

In any event, thanks for your time and for the suggestions!

zif
Not applicable
Views: 8,762
Message 4 of 10

I also have this problem. It happened just half an hour ago. I was doing the usual stuff facebook and playing a game and all of a sudden touch screen stopped working. Its not working on tablet mode either. It has been only a couple of weeks that i got this laptop. i restarted it thinking it will resolve the issue and when it didnt i googled it....it doesnt look good. Not what i expected from a brand new laptop.  

MattA1
Not applicable
Views: 8,612
Message 5 of 10

I found my sons lenovo yoga laptop touchscreen not working today so I checked the latest MS update and uninstalled the latest MS update for flash and performed a restart of the laptop and touchscreen is working again.

2Relaxed
Not applicable
Views: 7,296
Message 6 of 10

Fixed.

My touchscreen was working fine up until about a month ago (laptop purchased in Nov. 2017).

It stopped suddenly for no reason that I can think of.

I've tried  many possible fixes found online, none of them worked, so I pretty much resigned to just having a regular non-touch laptop for the time being (I was using touchscreen only occasionally anyway).

Last night my son decided to take a look at the laptop and basically per his advice I uninstalled the Wacom driver and immediately rebooted the laptop. Once it was up, the touchscreen was working again. I don't know if this somehow coinsided with the WIndows update that I kept postponing but that did get installed during last night's reboot. The updates that got installed were: KB4093112 and KB4093110. 

Cheers!

rileyvlx
Not applicable
Views: 5,535
Message 7 of 10

Thank you so much! its working again!! I observed that when i started using my wacom tablet the touchscreen stopped responding after a few days.. but it did work now thanks to your advise.

Gabby_101
Not applicable
Views: 4,403
Message 8 of 10

HI I knew this post was a long time ago but my laptop screen stopped working today and i was wondering if you could give me a list of steps so i would be able to uninstall the driver and thus fix the issue.

Thank you in advance 

tcordero
Not applicable
Views: 1,817
Message 9 of 10

Hi Gaby_101!

i have the same issue. Were you able to resolve yours?

thanks!

Gabby_101
Not applicable
Views: 1,766
Message 10 of 10

Hey, just a few questions so i can help you out some more

how long have you had the computer?

has this happened before? 

did you update the computer and was it after the exam that the issue occurred?

I only had the laptop for 2 weeks before i updated and following the update the screen stopped working, i tried everything to resolve it but this simplest was the answer i only turned it off and left it alone for 24 hours before trying it again and being prepared to make a human sacrifice to the computer gods before low and behold it worked so....try that...so how it goes.

Best of Luck.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors