Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjok
Punch Card
Views: 1,545
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 720 battery treshold set charge start stop power manager

Hello, just recently I'm a very happy owner of the yoga.

I'm fine tuning the setup and tweaking all kind of things.

With a different Lenovo I used in the past, I could use the power manager or the registry to specify a charge starting and ending point in percentages when hooking up the laptop to the main power, so it would for example charge to 80% instead of 100%. This was totally awesome to keep the battery healthy and keeping the Lenovo alive to the fullest.

With the 720, I don't see the battery option anywhere. Things I tried are:

-Registry edit

-Installing system interface foundation

-Installing power management from windows 7 or 8.1

-Installing/reinstalling lenovo settings from windows store

-Battery gauge tool install

-Bios updates

Unfortunately, they didn't work Smiley Sad

So my question is, has anyone set up the battery treshold on the Yoga 720. And how did you do it?

Thanks for your answers!

tjok
Punch Card
Views: 1,501
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 720 battery treshold set charge start stop power manager

Has nobody set up the battery treshold for charging?

My first post was maybe confusing with the explanation of the different things I tried.

Maybe in short my question is: when starting the 'Lenovo Settings', do the battery options show up, or did you have to do something special?

javijavit
Paper Tape
Views: 1,486
Message 3 of 11

I just got the same laptop two days ago and I have been trying to do the same thing and it seems it is not possible. I also had a laptop where I was able to do that (it was a VAIO) but it was super simple just going into the VAIO settings. Here if I go into the battery settings or lenovo settings, I can only select the option of going into a powersaving mode when the battery is low but it does not let me set a maximum charge on it. I found a battery management app some people had used on other laptops but it did not work. I am still looking, so if you find a way, let me know. 

I have also seen other forum links but it seems that lenovo has not been very helpful. This is very improtant for me because this computer will be used plugged in everyday in the office as my main computer, and I will only unplug when I travel which may be once or twice a week. Without the option of limiting charging the battery will not last anything. So if I cannot get this to work, I might return the laptop and get a different one.

tjok
Punch Card
Views: 1,457
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for your reply, I haven't tried a different method since the post. Only thing I didn't try was removing win 10, then installing windows 8 and trying to use the power manager tools build for win 8. But that's a but time consuming.

Have you maybe found a solution in the meantime?

javijavit
Paper Tape
Views: 1,442
Message 5 of 11

I called customer service a second time and this person was knowledgeable. The lenovo settings software should have this setting active in our system but it was inactive for some reason. They basically went into some setting and reset or reinstalled the lenovo software and now it works!
javijavit
Paper Tape
Views: 1,439
Message 6 of 11

Here a a couple of images. As you can see, before, the battery icon was not showing up on the left but now it is. When you select it, conservation mode shows up. You should have the driver for control method battery active to make sure it works. Or atleast that is one of the things they checked on mine.

javijavit
Paper Tape
Views: 1,438
Message 7 of 11

javijavit
Paper Tape
Views: 1,437
Message 8 of 11

tjok
Punch Card
Views: 1,399
Message 9 of 11

Aah, that is looking good! Very nice you got it working!

I checked on my device drivers, the battery also shows the ACPI Compliant Control  Method Battery.

But unfortunately it didn't activate the Conservative mode yet.

Do you know which bit they also tweaked or did an update for?

And do you know which version of Lenovo Settings you are running? Mine says it's 3.130.4.0, I suspect it's maybe too old.

javijavit
Paper Tape
Views: 1,395
Message 10 of 11

Could be... Mine says Version 3.164.0.0

BTW, one thing worth mentioning is that the conservation mode will not stay "on" all the time. I'm not sure yet what triggers it on and off but it might be when you disconnect or connect your computer from power, or when you restart it. I have been installing programs and restarting a lot so I'm not sure. My guess is that it deactivates when you unplug which I guess is a good thing so that it charges more next time if you are using as "portable". Main thing is that when you will be leaving it connected for a long time, double check that conservation mode is active. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors