Did you mean: 
manman123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,979
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 720 bricked after new BIOS update

Hi everyone,

I have a Yoga 720 model 80X6002JUS.

I recently downloaded the new BIOS that was posted yesterday (April 3, 2018) 1YCN30WW(V1.07).

When I ran it, it said it was older than the version I was running. I was on version 2.05 or 2.06. I figured it was just labeled incorrectly, so I went to my BIOS and allowed older versions to be installed. I ran it, and now my computer is "bricked". The power button light turns on, I can turn the keyboard backlight on and off with fn+space, but nothing shows up on the screen. I can't get to the BIOS or picking a boot method to re-install Windows. 

Is there any master way to reflash a BIOS? I can send the laptop in for repair, but would prefer to try and reflash it myself. 

Worst case, does anyone know the best way for me to plug the SSD into a different computer to take off my personal stuff before I send it in? I have Intel® SSD 600p Series which has a PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 interface. I checked Amazon and I don't see any USB enclosures that will fit that.

Note to Lenovo: I would consider taking the new (or old?) BIOS offline if this happened to anyone else. 

Thank you for any help you guys can provide

dimaou
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,919
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 720 bricked after new BIOS update

happend to me also, bios 1.07. now when turning on the laptop, only the fan is working and lights on the keyboard. nothing else. I've used lenovo detect to see what exactly recommended for my specific laptop before downloading.

Highlighted
dimaou
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,842
Message 3 of 9

from what i see the firmware that ive flash that still online for my laptop - 1ycn30ww (1.07) is an old bios that somehow lenovo put online back as the newsest and only one that available on their site.  as far as i know, in theory newer bios updates blocks old bios installations. it a big mistake from lenovo part. dont know when they will realize this and will offer a solution and remove this specific bios.

manman123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,825
Message 4 of 9

Yeah and it is still there. I told the support person to esclate this to development or whoever and suggested having them remove it from the site, but it is still on there.

Please let me know if you find a solution. I'm planning on buying a new laptop because it has given me other troubles, but I would like to either fix this eventually or send it back for repair before the warretny runs out. I just need to figure out how to wipe my data.

The support person kept telling me to do a factory reset... but I can't do anything on the laptop at all. $800 paperweight

Esben_Dalsgaard
Paper Tape
Views: 1,819
Message 5 of 9

Hi, I was prompted by the Lenovo Update client to install a BIOS update. The update was marked as important. When it rebooted, it couldn't start (BSOD). But I can get into "advanced setting" where different options for system recovery and firmware settings are offered. Any ideas how to get from there? The version number of the BIOS is 2.06

Thanks

Esben Dalsgaard 

dimaou
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,805
Message 6 of 9

you can check if your drive set i  bios to raid or it been changed to something else for the boot device.

Esben_Dalsgaard
Paper Tape
Views: 1,802
Message 7 of 9

Thanks, :-), "SATA controller Mode" is set to RAID - is that right? There is also an option called "BIOS Back Flash" - do you know how this function works?

dimaou
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,799
Message 8 of 9

im not sure how this function works. could be great with my bricked laptop. anyway i suggest you to do a reset to default in the bios menu. maybe somekind of configuration changed. you can manually change it later to your needs. other thing you can try is when the laptop turned off - press the power button for a whole minute without leaving and it should reset the cmos battery.

manman123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,638
Message 9 of 9

It looks like they got rid of the 1.07 firmware, and put the 2.06 back, and backdated it to 4/3/18.

Does anyone know how to force this firmware on the laptop? I can't see anything on the screen so I don't have the option to do anything. I will send the laptop in, but I want to erase my HDD conents first.

Does anyone know if I buy another SSD (blank), will they at least fix the BIOS issue? I can restore Windows or even include a USB drive to recovery it....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors