Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,902
Message 51 of 159

Re: Yoga 720 dock compatibility

I got it from CDW for about $240 CAD plus taxes. The lenovo docks are not cheap.  When I was researching, USB C docks, I noticed OWC, which makes really good quality accessories for Apple products, has USB C docks that are marked down to $99 USD, because they've released newer models.  They are listed as compatible with Windows 10, but due to the significant price markdown, it was final sale so I didn't end up trying it.  If anyone is feeling adventerous, that's another option as well. 

Highlighted
dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,894
Message 52 of 159

So I have 2 - 24" 1080p Acer monitors.... both HDMI.

I bought the Thinkpad USB-C dock (not the TB3)...

I connected 2 DP to HDMI cables I got off Amazon, one to each monitor....

It works flawlessly. 2 1080p monitors + my Yoga's 4K display...

Only bummer is with the USB-C dock is the Yoga doesn't charge also so I have to charge it + the USB c cable.

#solved

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 1,880
Message 53 of 159

@yyzlhr wrote:

I got it from CDW for about $240 CAD plus taxes. The lenovo docks are not cheap.  When I was researching, USB C docks, I noticed OWC, which makes really good quality accessories for Apple products, has USB C docks that are marked down to $99 USD, because they've released newer models.  They are listed as compatible with Windows 10, but due to the significant price markdown, it was final sale so I didn't end up trying it.  If anyone is feeling adventerous, that's another option as well. 

Are you talking about the ones that are listed for $99 here

Looks like they only have 1 hdmi out.

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,876
Message 54 of 159

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TCDOCK11PGD/

I just noticed this one does not appear to support dual monitors though so may not work for you guys.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,822
Message 55 of 159

@dstrausser83 wrote:

Only bummer is with the USB-C dock is the Yoga doesn't charge also so I have to charge it + the USB c cable.

#solved

While watching your CPU (in Task Manager or wherever), play some 1080p video on both monitors, or drag a high-res photo between the screens for 10+ seconds. I'm curious how much CPU that dock uses when doing that. My Wavlink with the DisplayLink DL-6000 chipset can eat up 50% of the CPU (turbo-boost disabled), but I'm running dual QHD (2560x1440) monitors on it. Your 1080p screens should use less, but still a considerable amount if you do graphic-intensive stuff.

I'm on the fence with the Wavlink. If only there was a TB3 dock that has MST daisy-chain support over a DP output, I think that would work with this machine and I could daisy-chain my displays. I don't like the CPU working so hard all day, but as long as the fan isn't running, I guess I don't care. But that's the fact of life with a USB dock.

I used this setup all day today and the dock's processes weren't generally exceding 10% CPU usage. A couple times, the fans ramped up when I was messing around with wallpaper. I think I saw 24% CPU usage. Dragging a Chrome window around rapidly for 10 seconds between the 2 monitors could make the CPU ramp up to about 45% usage and burst to 88*C, and 79*C once the fans caught up and it leveled out. However, the actual graphic performance is pretty good. It's not always buttery smooth, but it's decent enough. The slideshow in Windows 10 was panning wallpaper smoothly from my 4K and higher collection. Dragging a window to the other monitor would only cause a little CPU usage - it's the prolonged stuff that makes it build up, it seems.

If I need to do anything extra-intensive, or watch 4K video, I drag it down to the laptop's screen. Feels pretty roomy with all these pixels, haha! Now if only the scaling differences didn't wreck Citrix apps...

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,854
Message 56 of 159

@dstrausser83 wrote:

#solved

@dstrausser83 wrote:

#solved

While watching your CPU (in Task Manager or wherever), play some 1080p video on both monitors, or drag a high-res photo between the screens for 10+ seconds. I'm curious how much CPU that dock uses when doing that. My Wavlink with the DisplayLink DL-6000 chipset can eat up 50% of the CPU (turbo-boost disabled), but I'm running dual QHD (2560x1440) monitors on it. Your 1080p screens should use less, but still a considerable amount if you do graphic-intensive stuff.

I'm on the fence with the Wavlink. If only there was a TB3 dock that has MST daisy-chain support over a DP output, I think that would work with this machine and I could daisy-chain my displays. I don't like the CPU working so hard all day, but as long as the fan isn't running, I guess I don't care. But that's the fact of life with a USB dock.

I used this setup all day today and the dock's processes weren't generally exceding 10% CPU usage. A couple times, the fans ramped up when I was messing around with wallpaper. I think I saw 24% CPU usage. Dragging a Chrome window around rapidly between the 2 monitors for 10+ seconds could make the CPU ramp up to about 45% usage and burst to 88*C, and 79*C once the fans caught up and it leveled out. But the actual graphic performance is pretty good. It's not always buttery smooth, but it's decent enough. Like the slideshow in Windows 10, using 4K+ resolution images, it pans them smoothly without any jerkiness...though I saw it hiccup once (who knows what the CPU was doing right then).

If I need to do anything extra-intensive, or watch 4K video, I drag it down to the laptop's screen. Feels pretty roomy with all these pixels, haha! Now if only the scaling differences didn't wreck Citrix apps...

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,851
Message 57 of 159

I am tempted to try Plugable's dock. I wonder if DisplayPort++ includes MST support or not. Maybe all of these TB3 docks support MST over the DP port. I just wish I could find out without spending more money. If another co-worker gets this same Yoga, I will have them get a TB3 dock and trade them for my Wavlink. I'll try to find someone with a similar gimped TB3 laptop trying to daisy-chain like this.

Oh I forgot that BOSDesignCo might figure this out for us soon. I am not good at being patient. Man Very Happy

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,846
Message 58 of 159

I guess the simple reply would be this.... I did one better for you...

3 videos played, 1 on each monitor....

1) YouTube - 4K Video full screen
2) YouTube - 1080p - Full Screen
3) Netflix - 1080p (?) - Full Screen

For 1 second it peaked at 45%, but was mostly within the 22 - 30% range....

Does that work?
dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,844
Message 59 of 159

Here's the screenshot of the data for your answer...

BTW off topic but, can anybody give me a hand? I posted a new post, but really driving me nuts. I need Skype for work in the morning. My 720 came with the most up-to-date windows.... but for some reason Skype Preview was still installed instead of the most current version of Skype. Anyway to get this fixed?

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,823
Message 60 of 159

Sounds like maybe 20% CPU is used by the dual 1080p displays and YouTube videos. Your screenshot wasn't showing the process that we're dealing with though, which (for me and the Wavlink dock) is: "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process" (c:\windows\system32\WUDFHost.exe). That is the process that must feed data to the DisplayLink chips or whatever. I'll try to remember to take a screenshot later of my entire desktop while doing intensive stuff.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors