Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,672
Message 61 of 157

Re: Yoga 720 dock compatibility

There won't be a specific process for the Lenovo usb C or thunderbolt dock because it doesn't use displaylink. 

Displaylink requires drivers to functions and your computer is actually transcoding the video output so it can be pushed out via usb 3.0. 

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,666
Message 62 of 157

@yyzlhr wrote:

There won't be a specific process for the Lenovo usb C or thunderbolt dock because it doesn't use displaylink. 

Displaylink requires drivers to functions and your computer is actually transcoding the video output so it can be pushed out via usb 3.0. 

Well the process I see isn't a DisplayLink process, so I expect all Usb docks to have the same. Could be wrong, but the screenshot isn't showing what is using most of the CPU.

Lenovo has its own chipset in their dock you think, not borrowing one from DisplayLink?

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,657
Message 63 of 157

Good day.

So I redid the test, but this time with 3 youtube videos:

1 4k

2 1080p

All full screen. Interestingly enough, when they all start up, the PC usage is around 50, but then it quickly subsided and was mostly under 22 (I'd say 15 - 19 range), but when I tried to grab a screenshot, I grabbed it "high" at 21%, which is not truley representative.

Screenshot attached. W

I've searched but cannot see the process you are talking about (or anything for the dock) BUT I have it listed from high to low, so if it is in there, it is lower than 0.1%

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,651
Message 64 of 157

The usb C Lenovo dock uses displayport alternate over usb c. When you plug a monitor into the dock the yoga behaves as if it had a displayport built into the computer.  This method does not utilize the cpu as much as displaylink as it doesn't need to use the CPU to do any encoding. It's also one of the reasons why the USB C dock and other similar models are so expensive compared to their displaylink counterparts. 

Highlighted
dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,649
Message 65 of 157

So according to your post, which dock is better, the USB-C or the USB-C TB3 dock? I accidentally bought ONLY the USB-C dock instead of the USBC TB3.... would there be any notable differences for how I use it?

Thanks,
David
yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,648
Message 66 of 157

The thunderbolt dock would probably support faster data speeds on the usb ports if you had a lot of devices that have high bandwidth requirements. I mainly use my laptop for MS office only so the thunderbolt dock would have been overkill for me. 

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,631
Message 67 of 157

@yyzlhr wrote:

The usb C Lenovo dock uses displayport alternate over usb c. When you plug a monitor into the dock the yoga behaves as if it had a displayport built into the computer.  This method does not utilize the cpu as much as displaylink as it doesn't need to use the CPU to do any encoding. It's also one of the reasons why the USB C dock and other similar models are so expensive compared to their displaylink counterparts. 

@oh snap, that is awesome news. I wonder if it can daisy-chain, or do dual QHD @ 60Hz.

Looks like the Wavlink is getting sent back. Sorry Wavlink! I'm going to try the Lenovo TB3 dock, and if that doesn't work well, I will get the Lenovo USB-C dock. UPDATE: Just ordered the TB3 dock for $237 shipped from B&H. Hope it works so I don't have return it and order the USB-C one

[Attaching some pics of the CPU usage with the Wavlink. I have 4 other screenshots but they are close to 4mb and I don't feel like getting them under the 2mb limit for this forum]Chrome4K+Movies4K.jpgDisplayFusionWallpaperChange.jpgMovies4K Drag - turbo off.jpg

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,598
Message 68 of 157

@dstrausser83 wrote:
So according to your post, which dock is better, the USB-C or the USB-C TB3 dock? I accidentally bought ONLY the USB-C dock instead of the USBC TB3.... would there be any notable differences for how I use it?

Thanks,
David

I specifically didn't buy the Thunderbolt 3 dock because I didn't think I could take advantage of it for my needs so i couldn't justify the additional cost.  The main benefit would be the ability to run dual 4K monitors if you got another laptop in the future that supports that or if you have other USB devices that need maximum bandwidth, which I personally do not.  My setup is pretty much strictly for personal use, so running dual 4K is unlikely for me and my old USB 2.0 external hard drive is plenty fast for me as I use it for backup purposes only.  The thunderbolt 3 dock also does have an HDMI port in addition to the two displayport and VGA ports.  That might save you from buying an adapter if your monitor does not have displayport.  Displayport to HDMI adapters are typically $20-30 from mainstream retailers.  I ended up ordering one on ebay for $7, but had to wait almost a month for it to arrive.  

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,596
Message 69 of 157

yyzlhr, you can get DP to HDMI cables by CableMatters on Amazon, a 2 pack is like $10. I got them and they are great....

Out of curiosity, can we hook 3 monitors up? 2 via DP + 1 VGA or is 2 the max?

Great explanation!
yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,593
Message 70 of 157

I have not tried it myself, but as per the instruction manual, it only supports a maxmium of two monitors at 1080p 60hz or one 4K at 30hz only. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors