Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BOSDesignCo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,112
Message 41 of 159

Re: Yoga 720 dock compatibility

2 DP Cables on the way...using Lenovo tb3 dock with hdmi and vga atm... will let u know how it goes.

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 2,107
Message 42 of 159

@OESR wrote:

@kofstl wrote:

I will receive the StarTech one by the end of this week. I will updated this thread based on what I find.

Yes, please keep us posted. And thanks in advance.

@Right now I'm using the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to HDMI cable from Plugable and it works fine up to 4k @60Hz using the Alt Mode video output (so no Displaylink) http://a.co/81qyf0n

But it is only one monitor, so my other monitor is not being used right now.

Yeah, read the same about Plugable on their website, that's why went ahead and ordered StarTech one. All I need, for now, is for my both 1080p monitors to work. I am not worried about connecting to multiple higher resolution monitors at this time.

Edit: sorry, I thought you were talking about the other Plugable adapter (TB3 to Dual Hdmi).

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 2,107
Message 43 of 159

@yyzlhr wrote:

Sadly, I only have one monitor. If I get my hands on another one, I'll be sure to try for you guys. 

If you have two hdmi inputs on your only monitor, I guess you can try connecting two outputs of the dock you have to those two inputs and try switching between them to see if it works (as extended). Just thinking out loud.

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 2,103
Message 44 of 159

@snake2332 wrote:

I talked to support on the phone and did the online chat. Neither source could find any information about MST on the DP ports of the TB3 dock. They also could not confirm the number of supported displays via the TB3 connection on the Yoga 720 15".

Wow....just wow.

They don't have much information about this. I tried to chat as well and the agent told me that it should work (two displays/monitors) with no issues. She is not aware of 2 vs 4 data Pcie lines on these (even when I asked her to check), sent me a link to the thunderbolt 3 technology page on Intel website and kept saying that it should work with no issues if I use a correct adapter. I requested her to give me link to the adapter that works with this laptop and she asked me to go to bestbuy and try if the adapters they have works, and again when I asked what if it doesn't work, she kept saying that it will work with no issues if I use a correct adapter.

When I sent her a link to the Thinkpad TB3 page (here on Lenovo website), she told me it won't work because it's for Thinkpad laptops not Ideapad laptops.

Obviously, she didn't know much what she was talking about so I ended that chat.

Yes, wow... just wow.. => worst tech customer service in my opinion.

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,095
Message 45 of 159

@kofstl wrote:

@yyzlhr wrote:

Sadly, I only have one monitor. If I get my hands on another one, I'll be sure to try for you guys. 

If you have two hdmi inputs on your only monitor, I guess you can try connecting two outputs of the dock you have to those two inputs and try switching between them to see if it works (as extended). Just thinking out loud.

I tried what you suggested.  I only have an older monitor that is only 1680x1050 which has VGA and DVI inputs.  I had a display port to DVI adapter plugged into one displayport on my USB C dock and a VGA into the VGA input and was able to extend the display without issue.  

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 2,069
Message 46 of 159

@yyzlhr wrote:

@kofstl wrote:

@yyzlhr wrote:

I tried what you suggested.  I only have an older monitor that is only 1680x1050 which has VGA and DVI inputs.  I had a display port to DVI adapter plugged into one displayport on my USB C dock and a VGA into the VGA input and was able to extend the display without issue.  

Ah, ok. Thanks for trying. Hopefully, we will have someone here who will try with either both display ports or hdmi ports.

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,058
Message 47 of 159

It would be the same. Even when using VGA on the dock, the computer recognizes it as displayport. 

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,043
Message 48 of 159

@yyzlhr wrote:

It would be the same. Even when using VGA on the dock, the computer recognizes it as displayport. 

This is with your USB-C dock, right, not a Thunderbolt 3 dock?

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,041
Message 49 of 159

Yes the Lenovo usb C dock, not the thunderbolt one. 

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 2,037
Message 50 of 159

@yyzlhr wrote:

Yes the Lenovo usb C dock, not the thunderbolt one. 

Where did you buy it and for how much?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors