Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 2,194
Message 91 of 156

Re: Yoga 720 dock compatibility

Snake, just the Intel & NVIDIA graphics...

Device Manager.PNG

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,164
Message 92 of 156

@dstrausser83 wrote:

Snake, just the Intel & NVIDIA graphics...

Device Manager.PNG

And you're using this: http://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/bmoca/accessories/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/Thinkpad-USB-C-Dock...@ , right? With two DP-to-HDMI cables or adapters? Running dual 1080p @ 60Hz?

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,112
Message 93 of 156

I am pleased to announce that I was wrong! The Lenovo TB3 dock does indeed output from both DP ports when connected to our Yoga 720 15. Cat Very Happy It also works to daisy-chain 2 monitors from 1 DP output.

I don't know the limitations of it, but I was running dual 2560x1440@60Hz. This was true when daisy-chained as well as using both DP outputs on the dock. I have a feeling it would do dual UHD, but not sure if it would be at 60Hz or 30Hz.

FYI, this was while the laptop screen was on and set to UHD.

Perhaps this dock could support 4 monitors if you had 2 daisy-chained to each DP output, but that's a big "maybe" and I have no easy way to test it since no one else I know has daisy-chainable monitors.

I didn't test it long, but I also hooked up my mouse and keyboard to the dock and they worked flawlessly. No driver updates or anything needed, just plug it in and it all works!

If you need dual monitors with the Yoga 720 15, I would look no further and GET THIS DOCK.

Shamelessly plugging B&H since they are $43 cheaper with free expedited shipping, and Lenovo fails at giving information, specs, capabilities, or even photos of the dock, so they don't deserve the extra money (the engineers of the dock do, but not the marketing or sales people, haha!).

I'm doing my happy dance now that I know the Yoga can drive my monitors and the temps are much lower after the repaste. I might get a cooling pad for it now for when I game on it at home. At work it won't heat up much so it'll just sit flat or in tent mode. I imagine tent mode actually cools well because of more room at the intake vent. I say that because I was recently watching reviews of the cooling pads with fans in them, and just setting the laptops on the cooling pad without the fans running would result in cooler temps, and turning the fans on often didn't improve it much.

Daisy-chained QHD.jpgBoth QHD monitors and UHD laptop screen. This was via daisy-chaining.Using both DP ports on the dock.jpgThis was using both DP ports on the dock. Figured I'd show the 60Hz and stuff.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,109
Message 94 of 156

Oh and a bonus to getting the Lenovo TB3 dock is the fact that it uses the same 135W power brick as our Yoga, so you could take it with you in a pinch (though you still have to have your Yoga plugged in with its adapter, so I guess you'd already have one...).

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 2,106
Message 95 of 156

Yup! Using that one but switching over to the TB3 -- too many issues with this one....
snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,106
Message 96 of 156

@a_1200 wrote:

Is the Yoga 720 (both 13" and 15") compatible with the Lenovo Thunderbolt Dock? I'm interested in hooking up 3 external monitors, and am looking to purchase either the 13" or 15" models.

Hey OP, I think you could do 3 externals if one of them uses VGA, with the Yoga 720 15IKB. I also think you might be able to do 4 monitors over the dual DP ports, as I verified at least one of the DP ports supports daisy-chaining dual QHD@60Hz monitors. And both DP ports work at the same time, though I didn't try daisy-chaining through both of them (I am on vacation this week but went into work to test this out since apparently no one on Earth knew the answer).

Also, I don't agree with your marked solution, haha!

kel_bel
Paper Tape
Views: 2,047
Message 97 of 156

I have a 720-13IKB and recently purchased the 40A90090AU - ThinkPad USB-C Dock - Australia/NZ/Fiji/ and I have not been able to get the dock to work at all.

My computer recognises the dock when it is plugged in, but the USB ports don't seem to work, and I am unable to get it to output to my external displays 

If I plug one of my displays directly into the USB-C port it works without problem.

I have tried installing drivers for the dock, and upgrading the firmware of the dock all to no avail.

Is this because I have the 13" model? or do you think there is potential a problem with the dock I have received?

I appreciate any assistance as it is currently being used as an expensive paperweight.

Thanks.

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,028
Message 98 of 156

I use it with a 13 inch without issues. What kind of USB devices are not detected? You also need to plug the dock into the thunderbolt port for video even though it is not a thunderbolt dock. 

kel_bel
Paper Tape
Views: 2,017
Message 99 of 156

Hmmm ok.

Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse adaptor, a Wacom wireless adaptor and a wireless hub, none of which are detected.

Are you connecting both monitors via display port? 

Yep, I'm aware that it needs to be plugged into the thunderbolt port.

Thanks.

kel_bel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,833
Message 100 of 156

All sorted and working for me now,  turns out I had three faulty cables.  1 x USB-C and 2 x Display Port.

Not sure what the chances of that are, but happy to have it up and running.  

Thanks everyone, very helpful topic.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors