Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 6,692
Message 11 of 156

Re: Yoga 720 dock compatibility

Crap, seriously? Would it kill Lenovo to clearly state how many DP paths it supports over the TB3 port? The only data I could find about it was this http://plugable.com/thunderbolt-3/support/ which states the Yoga has support for only 1 external display. I guess they could be talking about the 13" version. Well Lenovo's lack of information lost them a $300 TB3 dock purchase, so I guess it's their loss. And i know they make a killing in profits on those docks. Dumb-dumbs have no documentation and state that the TB3 dock isn't supported at all.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 6,686
Message 12 of 156

So hey, BOSDesignCo, are you using both DP ports? I imagine QHD @ 60hz would work on them, that's what I need to do.

If so, I wonder if it's using the DP protocol for both ports over TB3, thus more bandwidth and less lag than if it's using a USB stream (or whatever). I'm a little worried about the 5gbps dock I ordered having enough bandwidth, but I think it'll be fine. I might cancel the order because it hasn't shipped yet, then get the Lenovo dock.

BOSDesignCo
Paper Tape
Views: 6,657
Message 13 of 156

Apologies for my belated response. So I have yet to get my hands on some DP cables. Currently I'm using a VGA and an HDMI (just w.e. cables I have handy) there are 2 DP ports vacant I plan on using soon.

BOSDesignCo
Paper Tape
Views: 6,655
Message 14 of 156

You know, I saw documented that the yoga 720 can only support one external display.. it's definitely not true... I've used the lenovo tb3 dock w it as well as the Toshiba dynadock. Both work w 2 extended displays just fine. TB3 obv. performs better with intensive graphics processing...

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,652
Message 15 of 156

Yup if you have a thunderbolt or usb C dock or dongle you can power multiple displays. You cannot rely solely on the two USB C outputs on the yoga 720 itself. Only the thunderbolt enabled USB C port supports video. 

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,649
Message 16 of 156

@snake2332 wrote:

@SO hey, BOSDesignCo, are you using both DP ports? I imagine QHD @ 60hz would work on them, that's what I need to do.

If so, I wonder if it's using the DP protocol for both ports over TB3, thus more bandwidth and less lag than if it's using a USB stream (or whatever). I'm a little worried about the 5gbps dock I ordered having enough bandwidth, but I think it'll be fine. I might cancel the order because it hasn't shipped yet, then get the Lenovo dock.

The dock does use displayport alt mode, not displaylink like some of the cheaper docks. 

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 6,557
Message 17 of 156

Hmm, I'm still sceptical of dual DP monitors on any TB3 dock when connected to a Yoga 720 15". From the small amount of information on the internet, this laptop only supports 1 external DP display over its 2-lane TB3 port. Using either a docking station or a TB3-to-dual-DP splitter, the results are the same and you can't use dual DP.

Lots of laptops with 2 lanes only support 1 external DP display. Now VGA is another story, and I can't find any information about it (probably because who would still be using an analog VGA connection this day and age?).

Lenovo has literally zero documentation for the 15" Yoga 720. It's kind of pathetic really. Also sad is their page for the TB3 dock....a single thumbnail picture.

If someone could try dual DP displays and report back, I would greatly appreciate it. In the meantime, I'm using a USB3.0 dock that supports dual 4K or single 5K (Wavlink $199 dock). It works pretty well, no stutter with a 4K video on my QHD monitor. Not sure how well it would do at true 4K. I tried a game real quick and it couldn't handle that, was going like 12fps. That's fine though, not gonna game through it. I also dragged a high res photo around and it was buttery smooth. Good enough for me! But 20gbps on the Lenovo dock versus 5gbps on the Wavlink could be a nice improvement, I just don't believe it will work.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 6,541
Message 18 of 156

@yyzlhr wrote:

Yup if you have a thunderbolt or usb C dock or dongle you can power multiple displays. You cannot rely solely on the two USB C outputs on the yoga 720 itself. Only the thunderbolt enabled USB C port supports video. 

Not true. Check out this page: http://plugable.com/thunderbolt-3/support/

Makes me want an XPS, hehe, but my company only lets us buy Lenovo.

Also, the Yoga 720 doesn't have two USB-C ports.

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,532
Message 19 of 156

I have a 720 and it most definitely has 2 USB C ports. However only one is thunderbolt enabled and supports displayport alt.  The other port does not support video at all and only carries data and power.

BOSDesignCo
Paper Tape
Views: 6,530
Message 20 of 156

The 13" and the 15" have different ports... for the sake of clarity we should specify on this page...

I have the 15" w/ one USB c port.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors