Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,503
Message 31 of 156

Re: Yoga 720 dock compatibility

@snake2332 wrote:

If performance isn't up to snuff with the Wavlink dock, I am going to try daisy-chaining since my Dell QHD monitors support it and DP1.2 supports up to dual 2560x1600 diasy-chained from a single output. Not sure which TB3 dock I will purchase to attempt this with, but probably not the Lenovo one since it's $280.   Edit: Now that I've looked at what's available, I might actually get the Lenovo one. The Plugable one looks nice but says it requires two display paths over the TB3 port, though I wonder if it would behave like the Lenovo one and at least 1 DP output would work.

After more research, I see that you have to have an MST-capable DP port to do daisy-chaining, and the Lenovo TB3 dock doesn't say that it has MST on its DP ports. Of course, it COULD have it and Lenovo's documentation doesn't mention it. Maybe I'll contact their support and try to get a confirmation either way.

So no one has tried dual DP ports on the Lenovo TB3 dock yet?

And no one has tried daisy-chaining dual QHD monitors from any TB3 dock?

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 2,500
Message 32 of 156

@OESR wrote:

If somebody uses Thunderbolt 3 to DUAL HDMI or DP (like the ones from Plugable or StarTech) please let us know. And Thanks.

I will receive the StarTech one by the end of this week. I will updated this thread based on what I find.

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 2,501
Message 33 of 156

@yyzlhr wrote:

I did not try the thunderbolt dock, but I do have the Thinkpad USB C dock and it works out of the box with the lenovo yoga 720.  The only exception is that the power button on the dock does not do anything with the yoga 720.  Also if you're using it in clamshell mode, you cannot wakeup the computer with an external keyboard or mouse that's connected to the dock.  You have to open the lid and close it to wake it back up.  

So you tried connecting two monitors via Thinkpad USB-C? Were they 1080p or QHD?

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,498
Message 34 of 156

@kofstl wrote:

@yyzlhr wrote:

I did not try the thunderbolt dock, but I do have the Thinkpad USB C dock and it works out of the box with the lenovo yoga 720.  The only exception is that the power button on the dock does not do anything with the yoga 720.  Also if you're using it in clamshell mode, you cannot wakeup the computer with an external keyboard or mouse that's connected to the dock.  You have to open the lid and close it to wake it back up.  

So you tried connecting two monitors via Thinkpad USB-C? Were they 1080p or QHD?

He's probably talking about this one: http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/Thinkpad-USB-C-Dock/p/40A...

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,496
Message 35 of 156

I talked to support on the phone and did the online chat. Neither source could find any information about MST on the DP ports of the TB3 dock. They also could not confirm the number of supported displays via the TB3 connection on the Yoga 720 15".

Wow....just wow.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,494
Message 36 of 156

@BOSDesignCo wrote:

Apologies for my belated response. So I have yet to get my hands on some DP cables. Currently I'm using a VGA and an HDMI (just w.e. cables I have handy) there are 2 DP ports vacant I plan on using soon.

Don't suppose you've tried the DP ports yet. Getting anxious with the Lenovo TB3 dock sitting in my cart on newegg, haha!

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 2,481
Message 37 of 156

@snake2332 wrote:

@BOSDesignCo wrote:

Apologies for my belated response. So I have yet to get my hands on some DP cables. Currently I'm using a VGA and an HDMI (just w.e. cables I have handy) there are 2 DP ports vacant I plan on using soon.

Don't suppose you've tried the DP ports yet. Getting anxious with the Lenovo TB3 dock sitting in my cart on newegg, haha!

Look at this. You can get 15% off if you are first time Jet user (on first 3 orders), and it has free returns (as long as they are in new condition), in case it doesn't work. May not have 2 day shipping though.

yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,479
Message 38 of 156

Sadly, I only have one monitor. If I get my hands on another one, I'll be sure to try for you guys. 

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 2,456
Message 39 of 156

How is this marked as solved if nobody solved it.... lol

Anyways, I originally bought a Flex before I discovered the Yoga 720 with 4k screen; 16 gb ram; 1tb ssd; and quad-core i7. I figured $350 more, lets do it.

Problem? I bought a used dock off Ebay for $150. It was the USB Typc-C dock, not the TB3 Typc C dock.

I need it for 2 FHD monitors via DisplayPort (only has DisplayPort)....

Am I good? Or did I screw myself by switching from the Flex to the Yoga 720 and not getting the TB3 dock?

Thanks!
David

OESR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,458
Message 40 of 156

@kofstl wrote:

I will receive the StarTech one by the end of this week. I will updated this thread based on what I find.

Yes, please keep us posted. And thanks in advance.

@Right now I'm using the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to HDMI cable from Plugable and it works fine up to 4k @60Hz using the Alt Mode video output (so no Displaylink) http://a.co/81qyf0n

But it is only one monitor, so my other monitor is not being used right now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors