Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 1,535
Message 71 of 157

Re: Yoga 720 dock compatibility

Guys, I have received StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to dual HDMI adapter today and it outputs only 1 display (1080p 60hz). It is not detecting my other (1080p) monitor at all.

Any suggestions before I return it? My TB3 and BIOS drivers are up to date.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,529
Message 72 of 157

@kofstl wrote:

Guys, I have received StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to dual HDMI adapter today and it outputs only 1 display (1080p 60hz). It is not detecting my other (1080p) monitor at all.

15" model? Bummer, but expected. Pretty sure there is nothing you can do, as that is a hardware limitation. 

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 1,510
Message 73 of 157

@snake2332 wrote:

@kofstl wrote:

15" model? Bummer, but expected. Pretty sure there is nothing you can do, as that is a hardware limitation. 

Yes, 15" 4K model.

Do you or anyone know why Lenovo USB-C and TB3 dock would work but no this StarTech one? I am just trying to understand what kind of technology these Lenovo docks are using to make it work, via display ports.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,501
Message 74 of 157

BOSDesignCo should be testing dual DP on the Lenovo TB3 dock soon, I believe. I expect it to only work on 1 of them.

I ordered that same dock, but have next week off and won't be in to work to test it. I'm going to try daisy-chaining 2 QHD Dell's from the 1 working DP port.

The Lenovo USB-C dock appears to work for dual HDMI, but I don't know if it can do dual QHD @ 60Hz. I am guessing it might do them at 50Hz, and I'm curious if its DP port can daisy-chain. No manufacturers seem to know about MST (multi-stream transport), which  makes it a guess n' check operation for me. The Lenovo USB-C dock is good, though, because it uses DP alt mode apparently, which is superior to DisplayLink-equipped devices that are laggy and use a ton of CPU.

There are other laptops out there with the same TB3 limitations. I wonder if they have solved this already.

OESR
Paper Tape
Views: 1,490
Message 75 of 157

@kofstl wrote:
Do you or anyone know why Lenovo USB-C and TB3 dock would work but no this StarTech one? I am just trying to understand what kind of technology these Lenovo docks are using to make it work, via display ports.

Yes, it would be good if somebody could test the Lenovo TB3 dock and make sure that it's not using the Displaylink for any othe the outputs when using dual monitors.

Again, I would like to point out that Displaylink won't be a problem for people using the external monitors for web browsing or MS Office. But we use Autocad and Revit which relay on the Video Card to turn on Video Hardware Accelaration, which does not work with Displaylink technology. So the usage of the CPU during Displaylink is not the biggest issue for us. Is that Displaylink is not usable for heavy graphic demands.

At this moment I'm testing a new work setup change because of Lenovo limiting such a nice laptop (Dell XPS laptops can handel dual monitor via TB3 with no problems with the same CPU and same GPU).

So being that looks like I'm only going to have one monitor, we purchased a 43" 4K TV (Vizio E Series) and connected it at 4K 60Hz using the only Video Alt Mode channel. Maybe having such a big screen and using the laptop next to it as a secondary screen, I will not be missing that much having dual 1080p screens side by side. (The big screen is nice)

Now my second headache is finding a good reliable USB 3.0 hub that has 1GB nextwork built in (so far I"m testing the second one but my wireless keyboard/mouse and wireless heaphone/mic are loosing connections). So just ordered a 3rd one that has external power supply booster to see if that's being the problem as the typical hubs that do that only take power from the USB connection.

Sorry for the long email. I'm just trying to share my experience so far.

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 1,490
Message 76 of 157

@snake2332 wrote:

BOSDesignCo should be testing dual DP on the Lenovo TB3 dock soon, I believe. I expect it to only work on 1 of them.

I ordered that same dock, but have next week off and won't be in to work to test it. I'm going to try daisy-chaining 2 QHD Dell's from the 1 working DP port.

@The Lenovo USB-C dock appears to work for dual HDMI, but I don't know if it can do dual QHD @ 60Hz. I am guessing it might do them at 50Hz, and I'm curious if its DP port can daisy-chain. No manufacturers seem to know about MST (multi-stream transport), which  makes it a guess n' check operation for me. The Lenovo USB-C dock is good, though, because it uses DP alt mode apparently, which is superior to DisplayLink-equipped devices that are laggy and use a ton of CPU.

There are other laptops out there with the same TB3 limitations. I wonder if they have solved this already.

How do you daisy-chain 2 monitors with 1 DisplayPort? Could you please explain? Do you need a different adapter/cable to do that? Thanks in advance!

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,484
Message 77 of 157

@kofstl wrote:

How do you daisy-chain 2 monitors with 1 DisplayPort? Could you please explain? Do you need a different adapter/cable to do that? Thanks in advance!

You need to have 1 daisy-chainable monitor to being with, which both of mine are. The last monitor in the chain can be a standard DP non-daisychainable one.  You simply connect the DP-out from your dock/laptop to the first display, then use the DP-out on dislplay #1 to DP-in on display #2. The DP1.2 specs say you can do 2 daisy-chained at 2560x1600@60Hz. My QHD monitors are the 16:9 version of that, 2560x1440, so I am hoping it will work. I tried it briefly with my W530 and the ultra dock, but my daisy-chained monitors were mirrored and the OS only saw them as 1 display. I hear it can be tricky to get working, like I need to connect them in the right order or something. I did go into the menu and turn DP1.2 mode on, which you have to do with Dell's.

kofstl
Punch Card
Views: 1,479
Message 78 of 157

@snake2332 wrote:

@kofstl wrote:

You need to have 1 daisy-chainable monitor to being with, which both of mine are. The last monitor in the chain can be a standard DP non-daisychainable one.  You simply connect the DP-out from your dock/laptop to the first display, then use the DP-out on dislplay #1 to DP-in on display #2. The DP1.2 specs say you can do 2 daisy-chained at 2560x1600@60Hz. My QHD monitors are the 16:9 version of that, 2560x1440, so I am hoping it will work. I tried it briefly with my W530 and the ultra dock, but my daisy-chained monitors were mirrored and the OS only saw them as 1 display. I hear it can be tricky to get working, like I need to connect them in the right order or something. I did go into the menu and turn DP1.2 mode on, which you have to do with Dell's.

Gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

Both my monitors do not do that, so for now, I am thinking about buying two adapters, one that does Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI and second that does USB 3.0 to HDMI. Just don't want to spend a lot on those Lenovo docks. Hopefully, this route will work?

I am not planning on running CPU intensive apps anyway, except Microsoft Visual Studio, Android Studio, and Adobe Lightroom. With the quad-core processor and 16gb ram this laptop has, I am guessing I should be okay right?

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,472
Message 79 of 157

@kofstl wrote:

Gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

Both my monitors do not do that, so for now, I am thinking about buying two adapters, one that does Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI and second that does USB 3.0 to HDMI. Just don't want to spend a lot on those Lenovo docks. Hopefully, this route will work?

I am not planning on running CPU intensive apps anyway, except Microsoft Visual Studio, Android Studio, and Adobe Lightroom. With the quad-core processor and 16gb ram this laptop has, I am guessing I should be okay right?

Ya, that sounds like a decent solution. You could keep the least-intensive apps on the usb-to-hdmi display.

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,434
Message 80 of 157

Hey guys, I got a question, but first....

First off, my laptop is defective Smiley Sad But since I literally had it for 4 hours before I noticed the defect, Lenovo is sending me a new laptop (not refurbished).... the cool part is that it is an advance exchange. It will be here Monday, don't have to return this one til it comes back. Since I had it hooked up to dual monitors, I didn't notice the defect in the screen until I unhooked it on night one and took it to my bed room. There is a small black line running horizontally across the screen. I didn't notice it because it was so close to the top of the screen I thought it was the top of the screen. It wasn't until I had it up close that I noticed it wasn't the top of the screen. Totally bummed....

20170712_071726.jpg20170712_071716.jpg

Crazy, huh? Anybody else have that on their 15" UHD Yoga 720?

Ok, so now back to my question... the other problem I have had so far with my dock is that:

1) The sound is has some static coming through it on the dock where as when I plug it directly into the Yoga 720, it is fine. It's like the speakers "flicker" when plugged in through the dock...

2) I have a Logitech USB Combo device (mouse & keyboard).... a higher end version also. The problem I have is that when plugged into the dock, service is intermittent. I'll lose the mouse of the keyboard will act like a button is stuck. I have to unplug and replug in to fix it. Again, when plugged directly into the PC, no problem.

Could this be due to the dock possibly being bad? Could it be because its the USB-C and not the TB3?

Thanks!
David

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors