Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,926
Message 81 of 156

Re: Yoga 720 dock compatibility

Bummer about the black line. You're not the first: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/6ky29c/yoga_720_4k_beautiful_and_defective_display_black/

Also a bummer about your Lenovo USB-C docking station. I don't think it should be losing connection like that. And static in the headphone jack? Yikes. Almost sounds like it's under powered, just because I have a USB-C little hub (Cable Matters HDMI, dual USB3.0, and ethernet) and it is flakey with the connections and supposedly works better if I plug power into the USB-C power delivery port (but I don't have any of those).

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,920
Message 82 of 156

snake, wow... the only difference though with his laptop is that you can't see it in BIOS.... with mine, you can. It's permanent. Smiley Sad
snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,915
Message 83 of 156

@dstrausser83 wrote:
snake, wow... the only difference though with his laptop is that you can't see it in BIOS.... with mine, you can. It's permanent. Smiley Sad

Nice that they are doing an advance replacement for you, at least. Hoping my screen doesn't have issues, like coming apart or anything like that. Oh well, 3 year warranty will cover it!

On another note unrelated to yours, I'll be getting my TB3 Lenovo dock and trying daisy-chain dual QHD monitors, but not until Monday the 24th probably since I have next week off of work. I got the daisy-chain method working on my W530 with ultra dock earlier today (previously it was only recognizing them as 1 mirrored display), so I know for sure that my cables and monitors can daisy-chain. I have high hopes for the TB3 dock, but am willing to try a USB-C dock that has alt-mode DP as my plan B. Maybe BOSDesignCo will verify that dual DP doesn't work on the TB3 dock by then (yes I'm skeptical). 

Also, check out this thread I started.

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,907
Message 84 of 156

That sounds awesome snake. Checking your post now...

With the TB3 dock, I wonder if that actively charges when connected. My USB-C dock does not charge and I have to connect it via the charger.
yyzlhr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,906
Message 85 of 156

Do you have the 15 inch model? I believe the USB C port may not support charging on the 15 inch model. My yoga 13 inch with the USB C dock definitely charges. 

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,900
Message 86 of 156

Hey yyzlhr Smiley Happy

I have the 15" model HOWEVER it does support charging through the USB-C model. I have a USB-C Anker portable charger that I use for my GS8+ and I connected the USB-C to USB-C charger to it directly and it lit up and was actively charging the laptop....

That's why I was surprised that it wasn't charging via the dock....
snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,891
Message 87 of 156

@dstrausser83 wrote:
Hey yyzlhr Smiley Happy

I have the 15" model HOWEVER it does support charging through the USB-C model. I have a USB-C Anker portable charger that I use for my GS8+ and I connected the USB-C to USB-C charger to it directly and it lit up and was actively charging the laptop....

That's why I was surprised that it wasn't charging via the dock....

That's the first I've heard of anyone able to charge the 15" model through its USB-C port. Pics or it didn't happen. Smiley Happy

dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,888
Message 88 of 156

snake -- I feel dumb!! LOL

So, I just tested..... and it does not charge. Apparently, I think I mistook the blinking light on the charger actually as a sign it was charging when in fact it was charging..... the charger was getting charged lol not the laptop Smiley Happy
dstrausser83
Serial Port
Views: 1,862
Message 89 of 156

Also, I got bored and tested a third external monitor.

1 - UHD - Yoga 720
1 - 1080p; DP to HDMI
1 - 1080p; DP to HDMI
1 - 1080p; VGA

So it was a mixed bag of nuts...

To try and run 4 screens at once, you cannot do that. We figured that.

HOWEVER and this is interesting... if quality is not the most important and real estate space is, you can do this type of configuration...

Turn off the Yoga 720's monitor.

I had to play with the resolution a little bit but believe I had all 3 monitors around 720p resolution.

You may think, well why would I want 720p on 3 monitors instead of 2 1080p and 1 UHD? Simple 15" monitor < 24" monitor lol

I have 2 21" monitors for 1080p. I lower the resolution a little bit on those and then the VGA connection ended up being a 24" monitor so I would have a bigger screen than the Yoga 720's 15" display.

Personally for me, it isn't useful. The 15" display on the Yoga is plenty big enough for a 3rd monitor for me, when docked I primarily only use the 21" Acer's I have.... I could see though where this could be useful for somebody who could use the bigger screen.

Thoughts?
snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,846
Message 90 of 156

@dstrausser83 wrote:
snake -- I feel dumb!! LOL

So, I just tested..... and it does not charge. Apparently, I think I mistook the blinking light on the charger actually as a sign it was charging when in fact it was charging..... the charger was getting charged lol not the laptop Smiley Happy

Haha, well that's a relief because I thought you were opening another Pandora's Box.

So do you think 1 of your HDMI ports is using alt-mode (no lag, driven by laptop's GPU) while the other uses an active chip in the dock to provide video? If you look in Device Manager, what do you have under Display Adapters when using both HDMI ports? I don't think both hdmi/dp ports could be using alt-mode, unfortunately.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors