Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaelh99
Punch Card
Views: 1,416
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 720 lightning port disconnecting

While testing out my new 720 I found that while running on battery I will have anything connected to the USB C/lightning port disconnect every once in a while and then almost immediately reconnect.

I've had this happen with an external SSD and a small multi-port dock.  So far, this problem only happens with that one port.  If I use the USB 3 ports, I haven't had this happen.

I'm fully up to date driver-wise.

I have also tried turning off the power settings for all the USB hubs.

I've monitored the windows events and see the following confirmation of a problem but I believe this to be a symptom and not the actual problem.

Warning        5/7/2017 1:53:19 PM        Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)        140        None

Warning        5/7/2017 12:02:35 PM        Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)        140        None

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: M:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume18.

(A device which does not exist was specified.)

The IO operation at logical block address 0x5f1388 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\000000c7) was retried.

Any suggestions?

michaelh99
Punch Card
Views: 1,357
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 720 lightning port disconnecting

It looks like this could be a larger problem with either the type of external enclosure I'm using or with USB 3.1 controllers.

When connected to AC and with the following connected, I had a complete reset of the raid controller.

Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (CT1050MX300SSD4)
Cable Matters USB-C Multiport Adapter with 4K HDMI or VGA Video, USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet (Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) which uses a SMedia ASM1351 bridge
StarTech.com Portable M.2 SSD Enclosure for USB C Enabled Host, Aluminum (SM21BMU31C3)

At this point I couldn't even get the laptop to recognize the StarTech enclosure even after multiple reboots.

After shutting it down, disconnecting from AC (and driving home) I found that the drive could be mounted but as soon as I started copying files to it, raid reset.

I'm going to try a restore back to stock OS (I've put the latest Win 10 creators release) and see if some driver update I've made is at fault.

michaelh99
Punch Card
Views: 1,341
Message 3 of 9

So far, so good.  I reset the BIOS and Windows and haven't put anything else on except for normal windows updates and a few app installs.  Here's hoping it was something avoidable.  I'll know more by the end of the day...

michaelh99
Punch Card
Views: 1,318
Message 4 of 9

On the second day, he cried.  And then the murders began.

[google the second sentence to find out the joke]

Unfortunately while using the machine yesterday I unplugged it and within 30 seconds had a bus reset.  This time though there was nothing in the event logs.  I repeated this three times during the day.

My guess now is this issue is the the infamous USB C peripheral issue that's well known to other people.  This enclosure has a controller that isn't compatible with the 720 USB controller, or vice versa.

I transferred the SSD to a different enclosure (same manufacturer but different controller chipset) and the results are promising.  I figure I'll have final results by the end of today.

michaelh99
Punch Card
Views: 1,244
Message 5 of 9

Well, I'm still seeing odd behavior but can't pin it down except as far as it's related to having a device connected to the lightning port.

If nothing is connected to USB C (but is connected to the other two USB 3 ports), there are no "resets" (I don't have a better word) and no odd events in the windows event viewer.

I'm waiting for a straight to USB C cable so that I can test the latest SSD enclosure

matoh
What's DOS?
Views: 1,176
Message 6 of 9

Hi, I'm curious if you have discovered any solution yet. 

I have the same problem connecting an external monitor with HDMI cable via usb-c to HDMI adapter. I have tried 3 adapters, 2 different HDMI cables and two Yoga 720 laptops (returned the first one). The problem persists. I used the same monitor with another PC without any problems, so it§s not that either...

I'm curious that I haven't seen many other mentions of this problem so far. But having 2 "faulty" units just seems unlikely. 

btw - mine is FHD, 12GB RAM, 512 SSD, Iron Grey version

matoh
What's DOS?
Views: 1,171
Message 7 of 9

also, I'm talking about 15" version with 1050GTX
michaelh99
Punch Card
Views: 1,162
Message 8 of 9

Well, I ended up returning the vga/network  "dock" and switched to using a StarTech usb3.1 SSD enclosure and the disconnects have stopped.  I haven't found a "dock" that I've been willing to try again.

It sounds like the state of USB C is really bad and that's one of the reasons that Microsoft stayed away from it for the latest Surface refresh.

Qudek
What's DOS?
Views: 358
Message 9 of 9

I have the same issue, with the external Samsung T5 ssd and the official usb-c dock from Lenovo, every 5 to 10 minutes or so the device disconnects and then reconnects instantly, when working with files from these devices it is almost unusable. Any known fix for this issue?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors