Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jptri
What's DOS?
Views: 12,642
Message 1 of 12

Yoga 720 not charging on thunderbolt port

I'm using the thunderbolt port for a single connection to a Dell usb-c dock (power in, KVM out, speakers, network, etc.).  The 720 charges real slow and the battery status message (in Lenovo Settings app) states that the "AC adapter cannot provide enough power for normal operation of your computer".  The Dell usb-c docks are powered with a 180w power supply that provides 60w of power to the computer, which is more than the 45w power supply that comes with the 720.  I have tried 3 different Dell docks, including a Dell thunderbolt 3 dock with a 240w power supply.

I have to believe this is an issue with the Thunderbolt 3 driver on the 720 or something BIOS related.  BTW, the 720 has Windows 10 pro loaded (updated from the home version loaded by default) and Bitlocker enabled.  Don't think these changes have anything to do with the issue.

I purchased Lenovo's thinkpad usb-c dock (which states that it's universal) and hope it charges the 720.

michaelh99
Punch Card
Views: 12,605
Message 2 of 12

Re: Yoga 720 not charging on thunderbolt port

Nowhere in the manual does it say that the C port can be used to charge the laptop.

I'm pretty sure it can't
jptri1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,586
Message 3 of 12

See Yoga 720 manual - page 11: "Note:For Lenovo YOGA 720-13IKB, the Type-C port may be used as an AC power adapter jack".  Also, the power adapter that came with the unit will charge on this port.  3rd, I don't believe a manufacturer can call it a Thunderbolt 3 port unless it's bi-directional and includes charging.

So back to my original post, I'm guessing something is going on with the Thunderbolt driver or a BIOS update is needed?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,580
Message 4 of 12

Charging can happen at 5v ,9v, 15v or 20v.  In general, the laptop will only charge at one voltage, which is negotiated with the charger.  Do you know what voltage(s) the dell dock puts out?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jptri1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,576
Message 5 of 12

From what I can find on Dell's website for the WD15, it looks like power output is 19.5v / 3.34a or 65w total?  I'm not sure if this is the power output through the usb-c cable or if it's referring to something else.  If this is the problem, will the Lenovo thinkpad usb-c dock provide the correct power output for the Yoga 720?

jptri1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,523
Message 6 of 12

Received the Lenovo usb-c dock today.  It works perfectly...  charges laptop and provides all output for kvm, sound, etc. on the single usb-c cable plugged into the Thunderbolt port.  Now, if only the power button could turn on/off the laptop without opening the lid!

Note to Lenovo designers: if the 910 could do this on a single thunderbolt port, you would sell millions of them.  It's a great laptop but needs the single cable docking solution.  Maybe the 920 (if that's what it will be called) will do this?

michaelh99
Punch Card
Views: 12,518
Message 7 of 12

Ahh, I missed that. Also, I have the 15" which sadly can't TB charge

[stupid forum software.  a quick reply should quote.  anyway, i was responding to the page reference for charging the 13"]

adsad
What's DOS?
Views: 12,257
Message 8 of 12

What is a link or model number for the  Lenovo USB-C dock that you got?

jptri1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,107
Message 9 of 12

It's the Lenovo Thinkpad USB-C dock.

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/Thinkpad-USB-C-Dock/p/40A...

Works fine other than the power button on the dock does not turn on the yoga 720.  You must lift the screen a tad, then press the power button, then close screen.  Worth it for me for a single cable docking solution.  My guess is the dock's power button is recognized by the mainboard/firmware on the thinkpads.  I have to beleive Lenovo could do the same for the yogas. 

ITSteve
What's DOS?
Views: 11,487
Message 10 of 12

Just want to clarify, it is impossible to charge the 720 15" via the Thunderbold dock?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors