Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sutjahjo
Paper Tape
Views: 11,017
Message 1 of 12

Yoga 720 power adapter compatibility

I have just "upgraded" (if I can call it so) my 3 year old X1 Carbon to the 720 15IKB, I noticed the new adapter is 20V 6.75A (it's very big and heavy). My question is if I can use my old X1 Carbon adapter (20V 3.25A) or the one that came with my original Dock (20V 4.5A)? while away from home?

I don't mind slower charging while traveling, my concern is performance and potential damage. If it isn't advisable, is there a lighter adapter I can purchase for traveling?

Any advice and help appreciated.

sutjahjo

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 10,958
Message 2 of 12

Re: Yoga 720 power adapter compatibility

The smaller PSU's will charge the Yoga while it is asleep or powered off, but while in use it will not charge at all unless you have the big old 135 watt PSU (or probably the even bigger 170 watt and the enormous P70/P71 PSU).

It's super lame that Lenovo gimps their laptops like this, but they've been doing it for years. You'll probably be using only 30 watts when browsing the internet, and a measly 65 watt PSU should slowly charge it, but Lenovo arbitrarily restricts it. I guess they feel that the PC could suddenly demand more than 65 watts and they don't know how to engineer it. Too bad they couldn't copy THAT aspect of the MacBook Pro!

sutjahjo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,953
Message 3 of 12

Noted and thanks.

Anyone know if I can buy a lighter Lenovo adapter that's compatible with Yoga 720 15? That power brick that came with the laptop is really heavy.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 10,939
Message 4 of 12

@sutjahjo wrote:

Noted and thanks.

Anyone know if I can buy a lighter Lenovo adapter that's compatible with Yoga 720 15? That power brick that came with the laptop is really heavy.

Friendly suggestion: give up hope now and save yourself the time and effort. You could use a 65w or 90w Lenovo PSU and hope your machine is in sleep mode often enough to charge the battery and make it through the day or whatever you're trying to do with it. That's about all you're gonna be able to do with anything smaller than the included 135w PSU.

sutjahjo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,918
Message 5 of 12

Noted and understood. Disappointing but it's time to face reality.

Thanks very much. Just hoping they could put a bigger wattage in a lighter package in the future.

scoinc77
Paper Tape
Views: 10,819
Message 6 of 12

Had the same issue...thanks for this answer...

Tony Witty
Nishant_T12345
What's DOS?
Views: 8,601
Message 7 of 12

is it possible to use a type c phone charger? i dont mind the slow charging if it still gets the job done.

Yo_Franky
Paper Tape
Views: 8,308
Message 8 of 12

THANK YOU ALL for your very helpful postings!!!  I was in Tanzania of all places when I realized I stupidly left the adapter for my brand new Yoga 720 13in. back in the USA.  

The USB-C power port is a beautiful thing when you think of it because virtually every laptop power port is (annoyingly) different, even with only slight model changes.  And after waiting nearly two days for this supposed IT guy to find me a replacement adapter, he shows up with two totally wrong solutions.

Desperate, and down to 9% power after heavy conserving, with the kind advice of this forum, I find via Google and Whatsapp, this smart young guy in Dar es Salaam who after reviewing the specs I forwarded from Best Buy, was very clear that even with a USB to USB-C adapter cord, my iPad charger (10 watts, 5.1 volt) would likely not be strong enough to charge my Yoga.  However, he amazingly had a US plugged HP 45 watt/15 volt USB-C charger.  For 70 bucks, plus 9 bucks for scooter delivery, and a free converter plug.  The 45 W adapter has worked perfectly, charges fast, and is full recognized by the Yoga. (I don't think he was conning me into getting the HP adapter, because he was like I'll sell you whichever solution you want.)

DOWNSIDE: I was so relieved that I didn't care, but the HP adaper is HUGE and has like nearly 20 foot of combined cords, so it makes the OEM Lenovo 20 volt "brick" look small by comparison.  The silver lining though is that if anyone broke into my hotel room I could beat them into a coma with the adapter, and hog-tie them with the cords...

MikeCas
What's DOS?
Views: 5,529
Message 9 of 12

Not sure if this is the right thread.....I just purchased a yoga 720 for my daughter who is in the peace corps in Madagascar.  I believe they have 220 volt elec. system.  need to determine if i need to purchase her a power adaptor or power converter to charge/power her laptop when in Madagascar.  can anyone help with this? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,520
Message 10 of 12

Take a look at the legend on the power adapter.  My bet is that it will say something like "Input: 100-240VAC, 50-60Hz" so it's global/universal.  You will most likely need a simple mechanical plug adapter, but I can't speak to what's appropriate for Madagascar.

Props to your daughter for her work in the Peace Corps.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors