Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yhuoilin
Paper Tape
Views: 7,160
Message 1 of 14

Yoga 720: short battery life

I just recently bought this yoga 720 and saw online that the battery life is supposed to be around 8 to 10 hours. However, I am only getting around 4 hours of battery life. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or what might be causing it. Recently I've only been watching youtube videos so I'm not running any super intensive programs. I have 8th gen i7, 16gb ram, 1 tb ssd, and the uhd 620 graphics card.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,083
Message 2 of 14

Re: Yoga 720 Battery

YouTube videos can be more intensive than you think. And there may be other things running in the background (virus scanners, Windows Updates, cloud storage synchronization) that are shortening your battery life. Battery life claims on just about anything battery-powered are usually best-case scenarios. I can get 6-8 hours out of my 920. But to do that, I do little more than word processing in airplane mode with the screen brightness as dim as I can handle it. Virus scanners are disabled, no external devices attached. If I connect it to my television and stream Amazon movies with the wireless keyboard and mouse attached for control, then 4-5 hours is about all I get, too. 

Check Task Manager to see what else is runing. Tweak your virus scanner and any other background programs you have. Turn off anything you can. That'll stretch it. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
SeniorGuru
Views: 7,082
Message 3 of 14

Welcome to the forum.

PC manufacturers seem to rate battery life based on scenarios that minimize battery drain. This results in highly optimistic estimates that few people can achieve in practice.

That said, the greatest drain on the battery comes from powering the LCD display. The higher the brightness the higher the drain. So I'd check the brightness level and reduce it to minimum that's acceptable.

There are quite a number of other things you can do to reduce battery drain. Here's a good article that describes them: How to Increase Your Windows Laptop’s Battery Life

What's DOS?
Views: 6,976
Message 4 of 14

Re: Yoga 720: short battery life

My Yoga 720 model 13lkb battery life is about 4 hours.  This is with web surfing and some video streaming.  Disappointing.  I am wondering if there is a more long lasting battery replacement available.  

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 6,961
Message 5 of 14

Follow the suggestions upthread and see if you can't improve on that. I know if I am doing a lot of things with brightness set to full, four hours puts me at under 30%.  But watching downloaded videos during a flight with the screen at 60% and Airplane Mode enabled, 5-5 1/2 is easy to achieve. Skip the videos and just do word processing and I can go for 6 or more with my 910, 8 with the 920.

Clevor
Punch Card
Views: 6,930
Message 6 of 14

Extending battery life on laptops is like finding a cure for cancer - keep hoping. My old laptop is an OCZ Whitebook from 2008. It was the fastest gaming machine on the planet at the time, even faster than desktops. It has dual Radeon video cards which could be upgraded in the future to something like Geforce GTX 2010 Ti in SLI, if you imagine. Could run the new quad core Extreme CPUs, which cost $950 at the time. Has dual 2.5" HDD bays and could run RAID. That laptop got 1.5 hours gaming on the battery and maybe 3-4 hours during web browsing and doing e-mail. It is 10 years later and things have still not changed! Something like the MSI GT75 Titan, the most formidable gaming laptop on the planet right now, gets 1.25 hrs of gaming on the battery. Around 2.75 hours at best when not gaming. And they say people buy that as a "desktop replacement". For gaming? So you want to game for about an hour at the coffee shop on a machine that weighs over 11 lbs?

I get around 5-7 hours on my Dell XPS and Yoga 920 so that sounds about right. To me, it seems as if the battery is like a car engine and gets broken in with time. It got a bit better as time went on. But I do cycle mine from 20% to 70% routinely.

Lincoln8
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,623
Message 7 of 14

My yoga 720 drain battery automatically and battery Works less than 4 hours only
Anyone knows how can i fix that ?
Drain battery when is not using in off condition, out of using
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 6,614
Message 8 of 14

How much loss when it's off? Say it's 100% at 10pm when you shut it off. What does the gauge say the next morning?

As for increasing runtime, see the suggestions upthread. There are a lot of things you can do to increase battery life. Dim the screen. Stop unnecessary background programs from running. Work in Airplane Mode. Disconnect power-consuming peripherals. Change the settings in your power plan to prolong battery life. Etc.

Yogalover
What's DOS?
Views: 6,529
Message 9 of 14

Hello, I also purchase Yoga 720 last month, and my battery only last about 2-3.5 hours, I do not know if the batter defects or what is the issues. Any suggestions on what to do? 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 6,523
Message 10 of 14

@Yogalover wrote:

Hello, I also purchase Yoga 720 last month, and my battery only last about 2-3.5 hours, I do not know if the batter defects or what is the issues. Any suggestions on what to do? 

See the suggestions throughout this thread. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors