Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NoobaGutt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,326
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 720 terrible wifi performance at home while other devices work

when i first set up my yoga, my wifi didnt work. it only works if i sit very close to the router. if i go upstairs or anywhere else, the connection gets lost instantly while all the other devices on the house would work just fine at that distance. and when it works, it often drops out. what i noticed is that if i connect to my phones mobile hotspot or the schools wifi network, the connection is great no matter where i am. ive tried updating the drivers, restarting the machine and so on. how come this device cant connect to my home network while literally everything else i own works great? i spend a lot of money on this laptop and wifi issues were a problem i wanted the least to happen.

NoobaGutt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,312
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 720 terrible wifi performance at home while other devices work

mobile hotspot isnt really any better, as the signal is still weak

Chris_Dubai
What's DOS?
Views: 5,202
Message 3 of 11

I do not have an answer, but I am facing the same problem. I have searched the internet many hours for a solution, tried many suggestion, but no luck.

WiFi signal quality is perfect, and in the WiFi status it shows 300Mbps. Unfortunately on speedtest.net the Yoga does not exceed 5Mbps. All my other devices on the same WiFi show speeds of 60Mbps without a problem.

It must be a faulty network adapter or driver, but I dont see any support from Lenovo on the internet

NoobaGutt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,144
Message 4 of 11

in my case it was actually that the wifi antenna connectors were poorly connected, putting in them properly fixed my issue 

mswck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,942
Message 5 of 11

I have a Yoga 720 15" with an Intel dual band wireless AC 8265 card for Windows 10 64-bit.  Nothing worked (not calling support either as Lenovo doesn't have this as the latest driver on their website) until I downloaded the latest wireless card package file from Intel (don't install at this point), uninstalled my wireless card from device manager, removed all temp files, ran the latest driver package.  Voila, it is back to working just fine.  Latest package as of today is:  19.70.0.5

lxchin
Paper Tape
Views: 4,917
Message 6 of 11

Any luck fixing it?

computermole
Paper Tape
Views: 4,675
Message 7 of 11

Dear NoobaGutt,

how did you properly connect the wifi antenna connectors? I would like to check for myself if that may fix the issue, I need my computer basically every day so a customer repair would be just a last resort.

lxchin
Paper Tape
Views: 4,668
Message 8 of 11

Hi,

did you do the fix of the connectors yourself or you sent it back to the shop?

thanks

alex

computermole
Paper Tape
Views: 4,617
Message 9 of 11

hey,

I plugged out and then plugged in the connectors, and it improved my wifi issues (see the intel board for a more detailed description of them), although my 5ghz connection is still much faster than my 2,4ghz connection & other devices still run faster. By simply plugging out and plugging in the connectors, my speed improved from 2 Mbit/s to 20 Mbit/s (on the 5ghz connection and on other devices , I get more than 40 Mbit/s). The issue seems definitely to be related to some faulty connectors. I found that the white connector sits rather tight in the adapter while the black one is rather loose, and it there seems to be a quality issue since the latter cannot be fitted as tight as the white connector. 

NoobaGutt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,543
Message 10 of 11

for being quite late, but ill explain how i fixed my issue with more detail. you find the right screwdriver and take off the metal plate to reveal the internals. the wifi card with the antennas are located at the top left, you should see there is tape covering the wires. take those off and keep them for later. just disconnect the wires, and then carefully plug them back in where they were. but the tape and the back metal plate back on.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors