Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikaelbasmaci
Fanfold Paper
Views: 302
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 730-13 adjusting brightness via F11-F12 is slow

At my 1 week old Yoga 730-13IWL I have the following problem:
When I increase or decrease the brightness using F11/F12, the brightness slider moves slowly. When I for example press 5 times in a row, I expect the brightness to go 5 level up, however, because of the slow reaction time it goes only 2 or 3 times up. This seems to be a driver problem for me for now, since when I pull the slider with mouse or change it on the action center there is no delay at all.

What could be the problem and is there a setting I'm missing at all? I tried to change all the settings in Intel's Graphics Control Panel, as well as looking up for any possible setting in Lenovo Vantage.

Things I tried:
- Disable and enable monitor driver in device manager
- Disable and enable Intel HD 620 driver in device manager
- Uninstall and install Intel HD 620 driver (latest Intel driver from Intel's page)

- Uninstall and install Intel HD 620 driver (latest driver provided by Lenovo on Yoga 730-13's product page)

- Remove the drivers with help of DDU and installing both variants again

My setup:
Windows 10 1809 - 17763.437
Latest BIOS

Latest Intel Driver update from Windows Update

Thanks in advance!

mikaelbasmaci
Fanfold Paper
Views: 261
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 730-13 adjusting brightness via F11-F12 is slow

Update on this issue:

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see if the problem is related to Windows/Intel or rather some button issue. I booted Ubuntu 18.04 without installing(try Ubuntu Live) from my usb stick and tried to change the brightness there with F11 and F12 --> the same delay is there as well.

This leaves me with 3 questions:
- Is this some kind of BIOS Update problem?

- Is it related with the hardware (F11/F12 buttons are somehow broken inside) ?

- Or is it really solvable with software, i.e. by installing the right drivers?

Any comment is appreciated. If there is no solution, I will have to contact warranty for this issue. It's really annoying to wait 10 seconds to change the brightness of the laptop, which is not acceptable for me.

mikaelbasmaci
Fanfold Paper
Views: 206
Message 3 of 5

Second update:

A friend with the exact same laptop (Yoga 730-13IWL) has the previous BIOS version installed and there is no delay in his laptop. At this point I'm considering a BIOS downgrade, maybe it's really the last BIOS update that broke the functionality of F11 F12 keys with FN.

Any input from Lenovo Support would be much appreciated.
mikaelbasmaci
Fanfold Paper
Views: 186
Message 4 of 5

I solved my problem on my own, reverting the BIOS from 9NCNWW16(v2.01) to 9NCNWW15(v2.0) solved the problem, now F11 and F12 are as fast as they used to be.

It was a BIOS Update problem after all! I will wait for a new BIOS to show up before updating again.
evalgeek
What's DOS?
Views: 91
Message 5 of 5

Hi There!

Happy you go this solved! There is another issue that can cause this problem on the 730's that's associated with the latest Windows updates. If your driver has a date that is more recent (since Lenovo's most recent at the time of my writing this is 11/2018), and you cannot roll the display driver back (that option was not available to me), you can redownload the most recent November version from the Drivers and Software tab in support. See the screenshot included as it contains the latest version I am referring to. This restored full functionality that I lost as a result of the Windows system update. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors