cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frank_Schutz
Paper Tape
Views: 239
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 730 15 BIOS has no option to boot from DVD.

Hello all,

I am new to the Forum and I just bought the Yoga 730 15. So far it looks great, but I have a few questions:

How can I boot from an external DVD? I want to install Linux on here and cannot find a way to enable booting from the DVD.

I also tried booting from USB which I could do, but for some reason when it came to partitioning the Hard drive it only gave me options to partition the usb drive and I could not get it to see the 500Gb SSD drive. My question here is whether there is something on the system, BIOS or whatever, that would cause this? This may be related to the distro or the media, but I want to see if there might be an issue/setting on the computer that could cause this.

I am going to try a network install, but I would like to understand what is behind the above, if anyone can explain it to me. 

PS I am generally familiar with hardware and software, but I have not done much of this kind of thing in about 5 years so apparently I am way out of date!

Thank you for your help

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 227
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 730 15 BIOS has no option to boot from DVD.

Is it possible that you have secure boot turned on?  (In BIOS, under security)

Turn that off and under the boot tab, enable legacy support.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Frank_Schutz
Paper Tape
Views: 200
Message 3 of 5

Thank you Richk. 

I have actually disabled the secure boot, but when I go under the boot tab, there is no option for legacy support.

I should have put that in my original post, because I did find that advice in my google searches. I have no idea why I do not have a legacy option. 

Any one have any ideas?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 181
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

This is going to be an"iffy" suggestion since I don't have a similar machine and The Google is failing me...

It may be that your Yoga accesses the SSD in RAID mode like some other Yogas.  This makes it invisible to Linux installers.  If you can find the setting in BIOS, change the drive mode from RAID to AHCI. This may affect your ability to boot Windows if you're trying to dual boot.

With a modern Linux and a properly prepared flash drive you  should be able to install in UEFI mode.  Legacy isn't necessary.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Frank_Schutz
Paper Tape
Views: 169
Message 5 of 5

Thank you 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors