02-27-2019

US

4 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 7

Yoga 730 15 - some keyboard keys not working properly

2019-04-24, 19:26 PM

About 4 months ago, I had an issue with the keyboard where about 9 keys on the keyboard sometimes would not type. I sent the laptop in for repair, the keyboard was replaced, and I did not have any issues since then.

That is, until recently. For about 2 days now, I have been having the same problem again, except with different keys this time. One point of consistency is that both times I have had this issue, the broken keys were all on the right side of the keyboard. I have already tried updating drivers and draining power then rebooting. The specific keys not working are 8, =, i, ], and k (both shifted and not). 

I recently updated my BIOS and chipset, could this have anything to do with it? Is there another possible solution, or do I have to send it in again? Thanks in advance.

Options

210 Posts

07-23-2018

US

0 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 730 15 - some keyboard keys not working properly

2019-05-06, 11:01 AM

Hi ElvinKo,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

A computer issue can be a caused by software update problem. First, make sure your Operating System has all the latest updates installed, refer to this link :

https://lnv.gy/2J4lSJM

Also, Windows offers an on-screen keyboard feature, see if the all the keys operates when using it. Here's how: 

https://lnv.gy/2J4lTNQ

Traditionally, you could also boot into Safe Mode in Windows. Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. If a problem doesn't happen in safe mode, this means that default settings and basic device drivers aren't causing the issue.

https://lnv.gy/2J4lUkS

Let us know.

Regards,

Moe

Options

1 Posts

11-04-2019

US

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 3 of 7

2019-11-04, 2:25 AM

I had similar issue. some keys didn't work properly. I thought it's software issue since by restarting sometimes they worked but later on it got worse. I figured it is a hardware problem cuz when I pressed on the chassis and typed, the faulty keys worked. I opened up the laptop and saw what you can see in the image. POOR WORKMANSHIP OF LENOVO. Crushed and twisted keyboard flat cable. I detached it, flattened it back a little and put it back. It worked in my case, but if some wires cut up due to this poor assembly, you will have to change the whole keyboard. This is my first and LAST Lenovo product. 

Options

1 Posts

11-24-2019

AU

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-11-24, 12:44 PM

hi, i have had the same issue as well.

i found an easy fix to this issue, which works for me but it may or may not work for y'all.

All I did was loosen the middle screw, the one on the bottom cover of the laptop near the windows logo.

the problem turns out to be a sort of faulty ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard.

It was folded a bit too sharp, causing some of the wires in the cable to loose contact. 

Options

1 Posts

01-03-2020

US

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-01-03, 7:01 AM

I was able to fix the problem that some keys are not working on my Yoga 730 15IKB laptop.  I bought a laptop tool kit from Amazon to do this including replacing a battery on another laptop.

Steps:

1. Remove all screws in the back of the laptop including 2 in the middle.

2. Gently lift the back of laptop using a thin pick (like a guitar pick).

3. Remove 4 screws holding the battery.

4. Gently remove the battery and not stretching the attached battery cable. You can just place the battery sideway without removing the battery cable.

5. You should be able to see a "fat" cable attached in the middle.  Remove this keyboard cable by slightly lifting the tab.  My keyboard cable was bended badly in two places.  This caused some keys not working. 

6. I stretched the cable especially on the bended place to straighten it out again.  

7.  Plug the cable back and put the battery and the back together.

All keys work afterward.  Good luck.

Options

1 Posts

06-16-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-06-16, 1:06 AM
Here is a youtube video that shows what reiknhh is explaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MLkY1WwV-k&list=PLspIXGCqGYh0D5PdqRdoOW_f-HYct1Gga&index=6&t=82s I have a Lenovo Yoga 730-15ikb and the keys 4, 5, R, T, F, G, V, and B did not work from time to time. Very randomly did the keyboard fully work. I have tried the method explained in the video and I have been able to type this entire reply so far. Pretty satisfied so far. Make sure you update all of your drives in the Lenovo Vantage application before attempting this method.
Options

19 Posts

12-05-2018

US

16 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:Yoga 730 15 - some keyboard keys not working properly

2020-06-26, 1:28 AM

What kind of screws are they? Phillips head? I have a machine to work on that is being brought here by the owner tomorrow and I have to meet him with the right tools, thanks. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete