Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScooterDude
Serial Port
Views: 776
Message 1 of 21

Yoga 730-15IKB Wireless Adapter compatibility

I would like to upgrade the Bluetooth 4.1 to the most current BT v5 with the Intel Wirless -AC 9260 card. Would this be the correct card? Any compatibility issues? Thanks!

Guru
Views: 736
Message 2 of 21

Re: Yoga 730-15IKB Wireless Adapter compatibility

It will most likely be whitelisted by BIOS since that card isn't on Lenovo's parts list. The card would physically fit in the slot, but the system may not post with the new card installed.

You can try it of course, but make sure that you can return it if it doesn't work.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

ScooterDude
Serial Port
Views: 714
Message 3 of 21

What do you mean by "Whitelisted"? To me that implies that it was tested and passes muster, therefore would be compatible. Is there another option to get BTv5 by using  a different card?

Guru
Views: 711
Message 4 of 21

Whitelisting is a way laptop makers make their system compliant to FCC standards. Basically, a system configuration is certified by the FCC, so any modifications to the wireless capabilities are blocked because any changes to the original configuration would technically render the new configuration as non-compliant. Most of the big PC makers do it, including Lenovo, HP, and Dell. 

Manufacturers may also choose to whitelist wireless cards to prevent any issues down the road as other cards aren't actually coded into the BIOS. The last reason for whitelisting I can think of is planned obsolescence. 

TLDR: if you insert a wireless network device not supported by the manufacturer's BIOS, the system will simply not POST (or in other words, startup). 

Here's an example of what will happen: 

DSC_7513.jpg

Hope that helps. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

elfarto
Serial Port
Views: 669
Message 5 of 21

Based on my experience with a Yoga 170 15-IKB whose's Wifi card died and i replaced it with a generic Intel 8260 without any issues (i didn't even had to install a driver) i'd give it a go, Lenovo even offers Intel drivers for the 730 15 so my best bet is that it should work, after all a 9260 card only costs about 20 bucks on eBay.

Give it a shot and report back!

ScooterDude
Serial Port
Views: 655
Message 6 of 21

I'm thinkning I'm going to try it. I'll order it from Amazon, so if it doesn't work, I know I can retun it easily. Thanks for the encouragement!

elfarto
Serial Port
Views: 649
Message 7 of 21

Glad to hear that, remember to reply with your hopefully successful story.

BTW, be very careful (gentle) when disconnecting the antenna cables from the old card.

ScooterDude
Serial Port
Views: 637
Message 8 of 21

No kidding! That does look like a delicate operation, but I watched a bunch of YT vids on the subject, so I'm very confident in my abilities. I'm pretty sure it just takes finess rather than force. I ordered the card after reading the last comment, so I'll report back after I get 'er installed. $14.49 total on Amazon with Prime shiping https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079QH5KW1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It will be here on Tuesday, hopefully installed on Wednesday if I can get a few moments. We have a 10 week old German Shepherd in the house that is taking up pretty much every one of our waking moments. He gets into EVERYTHING! Wish me luck! :-)

ScooterDude
Serial Port
Views: 568
Message 9 of 21

I'm happy to report that the new Wireless-AC 9260 Adapter works perfectly! I'm typing this out on the same laptop after replacing the card. Perhaps it's placebo effect, but it seems to run a lot faster as well. I haven't done any scientific testing, just "seat of the pants dyno", as said on the auto forums. BTv5 works seamlessly with all my devices and the transfer speed between my laptop and Samsung Galaxy S9 (also BTv5) is instantaneous! For the >$15 that I paid for this card, I would say it's definitely a must-do in order to future proof this machine for some time. BTW, I installed the latest set of drivers that I downloaded from the Intel website PRIOR to installing the card. I'm guessing that's part of why everything worked as well as it did. The machine posted normally, with no hiccups or hesitations. I also recently added 8GB more memory using a Corsair Dominator card several days ago. I hope this helps anyone else wanting to do this. Thanks for the advice!

MoonWillow3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 540
Message 10 of 21

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out a few things.. And my apologies I don't know very much about tech at all, but I've been learning a ton in the last month or so..  Anyways, I just got my new yoga 730-15IKB, and I have the same problem everyone else does.. Only way I get wifi is to sit within a few feet of the router, on the bottom it says RTL8822BE- the crappy RealTek wifi card (I think).. So, after reading a bunch of the forum posts.. The cheapest and quickest way to fix it seems to be just buying an Intel card and replacing it myself (I'm pretty sure I can figure it out with the help of some yt videos.. I'm usually good at that) Now most of the posts say Intel 8265 (and on the list with Lenovo it says 8265NGW-I'm not sure if the letters make a difference though, on Amazon there are slightly different descriptions on them and I'm not sure what it all means-or is the only important thing the 8265 in the model?).  However, seeing this post I'm wondering if I should get the 9260 instead?  Also, looking on Amazon, the 9260 cards have way different prices for each listing-I saw $30 for one- Idk if they are actually different cards or people are just charging way different prices for the same thing, so, like the 8265 card I'm confused.. Are there different types of each card number?  Again, I'm sorry.. These are probably dumb questions.. I know almost nothing.  In the mean time I was thinking about getting a USB wifi adapter, but I'm not sure if its worth it or if it would even work.. 

And lastly, I was planning on adding 8GB memory to bring it up to 16GB ram, any suggestions as to what brand is good?  I'm also thinking about increasing storage.. But, switching the ssd might be a little advanced and complicated for me (although I do have a person that could handle it) I think just getting an external ssd might be best, any suggestions for one of those would be greatly appreciated too.  And thank you very much for any help and/or advice anyone can give!

P.s.  I have an almost 8 year old German Shepherd.. She's the best dog ever!  But, she was a handful when she was a puppy lol!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors