Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panthaeon
Paper Tape
Views: 538
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 730-15IKB freezing suddenly, no BSODs or reports in Reliability History

Hey there,

Recently, I purchased the Yoga 730-15IKB, and up until about three days ago, it ran fine with little-to-no quirks. About three days ago, the laptop began to act very erratic. It began to freeze randomly; no response from the keyboard, trackpad or touch screen. I chalked it up to be a Windows error at first. After restarting several times, the problem persisted: the laptop continued to hang, yet the screen stayed on, the keyboard stayed lit and the fans varied in power over time. Nothing dumped from a BSOD, no reliability history report, only the fact that it shut down unexpectedly due to me holding down power. After several clean Windows installations, update rollbacks, driver reinstallations/updates/uninstallations, nothing has changed, and it seems that the problem only gets worse over time. At the time of posting this, this will be my third Windows reinstallation, and now it freezes in the midst of setup.

Here's what I've tried:

• Reinstalling/Restoring Windows
  • Ran chkdsk several times, no errors
  • Ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, no errors
  • Ran Lenovo Vantage's hardware diagnostic tool, no errors
  • Reset BIOS settings multiple times
  • Checked MSI Afterburner and monitored CPU temps, they stayed pretty low 
  • Checked if the problem was limited to battery power, it happened on AC as well
  • Checked reliability history, no errors aside from unexpected shutdowns
  • Checked event logs, nothing aside from apparent power throttling and some strange COM errors, yet I doubt it would persist through clean installations of Windows

Usually when this happens, I'm using the touch pad in some form or fashion; it sometimes locks up shortly after usage. I'm pretty lost here, folks. The laptop was very stable and solid for the first 13 days I had it. Thanks in advance to anyone who comes with some advice.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 511
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 730-15IKB freezing suddenly, no BSODs or reports in Reliability History

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
panthaeon
Paper Tape
Views: 503
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 730-15IKB freezing suddenly, no BSODs or reports in Reliability History

Booting into safe mode worked the first time. Upon rebooting back into safe mode, the same bug occurred. 

Upon checking reliability history once more two more errors appeared, although I'm not quite sure if they're related. 

audiodg.exe had stopped working when I let the computer idle overnight without using it. 

bootres.dll has apparently been corrupted somehow. 

This problem is giving me quite the headache. I'm beginning to believe it's hardware related. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors