cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firehawk9000
Paper Tape
Views: 1,487
Message 91 of 136

Re: Yoga 730 CPU clock speed stuck at around 0.800 GHz when gaming, help!

I'm back everyone with some updates. 

To quickly sum up, I had the same problem with my Yoga15-730-17 and Lenovo Support had me send in my device for Repair.

They received my Yoga and about 2 weeks went by with no update. I called and they "prioritiezed" my order (or whatever they called it). They did this MULTIPLE times before finally after 3 weeks, a "Case Manager" called me and actually spoke to me like a real person. I told her that this "9-business-day-repair" had taken too long and I wanted a refund. She said that they were relocating the Repair Facility and that they were almost finished with the device. "I will reach out to you in 24-48 business hours to address your refund request." Fast forward a week, I called and they again, "Prioritized" my order and they said they would let my Case Manager know. Another week passed, I called again. They tried the same crap again, "We'll contact your Case Manager." This time I was really feeling hopeless. With no light in sight, a week later I called one last time. They told me that out of nowhere, that my refund was approved and that I should be recieveing a check in the mail within the week. Sure enough, my Case Manager emailed me an expidited tracking number with FedEx and I received my check in the mail yesterday. SO MUCH RELIEF. That was about 2 months of being on hold I'll never get back.

I sincerely, will NEVER buy a new Laptop, especially from Lenovo, ever again. Had I known Laptops were still this unreliable, and had I known Lenovo would take this long to repair a laptop (Why didn't they just replace it?), I would have never bought this. Lenovo, you held on to my $1000 for about 2 months and that is something I will not forgive. Anyway, good luck to the rest of the users who saw amazing specs on paper, but the complete opposite results in reality. I won't be visiting this forum for loop-hole solutions any longer. Peace.

KiraLaptop
Paper Tape
Views: 1,476
Message 92 of 136

Wow, now I'm starting to think that I was actually scammed buying this laptop. Let's see if someone notices this thread.
jserinoc
Punch Card
Views: 1,413
Message 93 of 136

I just wanted to reiterate my experience as some of the solutions given in this thread did help me. I was facing severe throttling at the beginning, but after turning off the smart cooling, setting the NVIDIA card as the primary card, and updating NVIDIA drivers (directly on Nvidia Experience app), my issues disappeared. 

Yesterday, for example, the laptop was used to play GTA V, FIFA 19 and Fornite for hours with no issues, and frame rates north of 60 FPS most of the time. Never experienced throttling or slow down. Maybe it is the games that are less demanding than others? I don't know.

However, I still would love to have the BIOS update and have the issue resolved at its core.

Best,

JC

razza1987
Paper Tape
Views: 1,344
Message 94 of 136

Ok I’m paranoid now. I bought my first ever Lenovo and am waiting for my payment to clear and my computer to be sent. I contacted Bing Lee. They said if I have any problems with my laptop to let them know and I can send it back. They said the laptop is very popular and that they have not heard of any issues with the computer and that it is rated 8.6/10 on the Lenovo website. Let’s see what happens. If I have issues it will be going back

EDN80
Punch Card
Views: 993
Message 95 of 136

After struggling with the same issue, I think I worked it out. I couldn't even get the game to open for a while.

Not sure if this has been posted before since I didn't read the entire thread, but the problem seems to have to do with the touch screen and the pen, so before you game, make sure to go to Device manager and disable the following:

- HID-compliant pen

- HID-compliant touchscreen

That seems to do the trick for me. Enjoying 4K gaming (tested with Metal Gear Solid V) without a hiccup. No stutter or dropped frames so far.

(I did go to Lenovo Vantage beforehand and downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and disabled Intelligent Cooling)

Hopefully, the latest fix or BIOS fix disables the pen and touchscreen automatically when gaming.

I'm so glad I got it fixed, because honestly it's an amazing laptop. I have the i7, 4K, 16GB, 512GB version, and honestly for the price, there's no better 2-in-1 on the market right now.

Device_manager_LI.jpg

Federico18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 942
Message 96 of 136

Hi EDN80!

Thanks for sharing, it gave me a lot of hope!

But unfortunately didn't work for me, the clock rate is still on the 1800MHz.

What clock rate and temps are you getting? (after 30 minutes for example)

Are you using Intel XTU or Throttlestop?

Did you modify your power profile?

Please if there is any other thing that you are doing and you missed in your coment, tell us (nvidia configurations, game configurations, etc)

Federico18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 914
Message 97 of 136

Thanks you very much!! 

It seems that you really found a way!
I will be looking forward to your tests and tweaks.

Happy to know that even though lenovo does not give a signal, we can still help each other Smiley Happy

MiguelA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 894
Message 98 of 136

Sorry for my skepticism, but I'm very suspicious that the pen and touchscreen are causing the CPU to Power Limit Throttle. Could you run a quick test for me? Download Prime95 (GIMPS), extract and run. Click "Just Stress Testing" and then choose "In-place Large FFTs".

I'd be extremely surprised (and happy) if you were able to go past 5 minutes (could be as early as 25s) without significant drops in your CPU frequency. My results are 2.5GHz (from maximum of 3.7GHz), CPU temps 60C and power drain of 15W.

EDN80
Punch Card
Views: 882
Message 99 of 136

@MiguelA, will do.

Just confirming that everything seems to be working for me, as in, my issue is that I couldn't game on the laptop and now it seems to be running smoothly off Steam. (Metal Gear Solid Ground Zero). 

Tried a quick test off battery power, it's running fine. Cranked up details to HIGH. Running fine.

Tried without initially disabling pen and touch screen and was choppier. Better with those disabled.

Now need to do your test, captures, etc...

And my earlier reply disappeared somehow so pasting below again:

Wow, so sorry it's not working out for you.

I did quite a few tweaks at once, so I have to retrace all my steps and post them here in details with in-game screenshots and hopefully video of the game running smoothly for a couple of hours in 4K. I'll do another test with frame rates.

I could not install Intel XTU on my system for some reason. I don't have Throttlestop.

I do have CPU-Z, CPUID, MSI Afterburner and while I wasn't monitoring as assiduously as I should have, the i7 8550U was running unfettered, all cores hitting 1.70-1.80GHz initially fairly consistently to max turbo frequency 3.60-3.90Ghz. Thermals were all over the place, but yes, the machine did run hot-- fans at full blast.

Beyond turning off Smart Cooling and disabling pen and touchscreen, I did change all my power settings, skewed toward max performance and kept the machine plugged in during play.

Like I said before, I could play the game at the lowest settings and very choppy framerates with the integrated Intel 620 GPU, but soon as I switched to the Nvidia 1050, the game would not even display because for those few seconds the game was onscreen, it was super laggy and basically choppy and frozen. It would display for a few seconds and minimize itself to taskbar right away. 

Figured that was a display situation, so even though I had Nvidia GeForce Experience installed with the latest drivers it seemed, I used Lenovo Vantage to check for System and Lenovo updates. Sure enough, they had another NVIDIA update (will have to find update version #) and installing that and disabling pen and touchscreen did the trick.

Now I have to do some more tests, different configs and see what happens.

More soon...

Mod's Comment: your earlier post was auto removed by the forum's spam filter.  Due to your editing of that post, the filter wrongly believed you were spamming the forum.  Sorry for the confusion.

EDN80
Punch Card
Views: 844
Message 100 of 136

First thing I did was download the Nvidia VGA driver V.23.21.13.9125 from Lenovo Vantage.

InkedClipboard 5[28091]_LI2.jpg

Then disable HID pen and touch screen in Device manager:

Device_manager_LI.jpg

. Disable Smart Cooling + chose Performance settings in Power options.

. Run the game while plugged in. 

These are the clock speed and thermals while the game is running:

Clipboard 1a.png

Core peaks @ 3,600-3,900Mhz

Temp peaks 65-66C

The game running:

DSC_0369.jpgDSC_0370.JPGDSC_0371.JPG

Frame average drops from 35fps to 29-30fps with Nvidia Geforce overlay info.

My settings at 4K:

Metal Gear Solid V  Ground Zeroes Screenshot 2018.10.17 - 22.06.42.85-a.png

On HIGH settings, average frame rate is 25-28 @ 65C.

The game running:

More:

Sorry for terrible video quality. Anyway, everything running smooth. 30fps @ 4K is okay for me.

My machine specs:

• 15.6 inches
  • Yes
  • 8 hours
  • Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
  • 16GB
  • 1.8 gigahertz
    Intel 8th Generation Core i7
  • Processor Model Number
    i7-8550U

Windows 10